1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PC/PS4] No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could have sworn there was a thread for this already, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, there seems to have been a preview event to coincide with the reveal of the release date on June 21st (which is basically the end of e3, weirdly. Kinda wished they'd just dropped it during the conference, but marketing etc)

I liked this preview from Giant Bomb. It goes into mechanics of the game that have me frothing. Languages, exploration, upgrading, resource gathering, NPCs...

Now excuse me while I sit in a corner rocking back and forth until this game comes out...

2. Reza

Reza Second Year DLP Supporter

I was just searching for a thread for this too after I read a new article on IGN.

This game looks amazing. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Is it releasing for PS4 and PC at the same time?

4. Gengar

High Score:
    I think the reveal came from ps blog, so I'm not sure they'd advertise it. Tbh, I didn't look into it though.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Checked steam it's being released in roughly 3 months. Excited.

I completely dismissed NMS at it's first reveal because they didn't announce for PC at that point but.. awesome.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm hoping it's compatible with PSVR...

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I only hope that they've made sure that the game has some strong draw/fun creative activities outside of the procedurally generated world.

Because no matter how beautiful the world, it won't be the thing that keeps people playing. Sure, it looks amazing and I can't wait to see it... But nobody played Minecraft for the ability to walk endlessly in any direction.

8. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was typing up a post about this GB preview XD glad you got it up for me ;)

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I see this a lot. People worried about what they'll do in the game, as if it were some great unknown.

The information is there, plenty even in the article I posted.

You can upgrade three things in the game AFAIK. Your ship, your suit and your gun. You do this by collecting resources on the planets, or just buying and trading them from stations.

If you want more riches, you'll need to explore more to find them, to do that you'll need to upgrade your ship to jump further, your suit to withstand harsher environments and your gun to better protect yourself / mine better resources.

Or you can just be a pirate and steal the resources instead. You'll need to upgrade your ship though less you're just blown out of the sky...

I'll definitely be a more passive player, and be posting screens of awesome planets I find here.

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Right, I've heard about those, but again, those don't seem like an actual game. If you remove the "exploration", it all seems very bare-bones.

In any procedurally generated world that's existed to date, once you've played the game for a bit, you have the general idea of how every area will look. Sure, you might not have discovered certain variations, but you have enough of an idea that you aren't surprised by any new area/world you visit. Motivation to explore when you already know what you'll find is not really lasting. Maybe No Man's Sky will change this, but I've not seen anything that suggests differently.

At some point you only visit new areas to strip them of resources. Even if you can upgrade your ship/suit/gun, nothing suggests that those are especially huge or exciting upgrades. My concern is that just giving small upgrades to your ship/gun is not enough of a draw that you'd want to keep doing it. Especially since you'll probably have them fully upgraded fairly quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for No Man's Sky, but I have serious concerns about the amount of content for a $60 game.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    The main driver is to reach the center of the galaxy. The upgrade / resource system isn't just there for filler, you'll need to engage with it if you're to navigate the increasingly hazardous environments / npcs that pop up the further in you venture.

I'm just happy to pimp out my ship, become multi lingual and take screens of pretty planets though.

12. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I just pre-ordered since it costs $17.50 for me. I generally never pre-order but this is an exception because I love the idea of exploration and space.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On one hand, it looks promising and what isn't cool about a whole galaxy's worth of planets to explore. On the other, the skeptic in me thinks it may turn out to be too little butter spread over too much bread, as Bilbo once said.

Echoing Iztiak, Minecraft didn't take off because of exploration. I'm not saying NMS is trying to be Minecraft, it's pretty clear to me it's its own thing. But if it has ambitions to be popular, there are enough similarities that the two will be compared.

Minecraft's thing is building stuff. NMS seems to heavily favor exploration. I may be wrong. The exploration might be so awesome that people will sink thousands of hours into trying to reach the galactic core. Maybe the lore involved will be truly mind-blowing. Maybe it's just not a game for me.

All that aside, I hope for the game's sake there's more to it than getting resources so you can survive so you can get more resources so you can go everywhere, because eventually the novelty of exploration will wear off.

14. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I just want to know if I'm allowed to conquer my own planet and conduct torturous experiments on the indigenous beasts.

15. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

No Man's Sky

No Man's Sky. Link is an article in The Guardian that has the trailer and an E3 gameplay video, and I don't think I could be more jazzed for an upcoming release that isn't a Fallout title. If you're an old guy like I am, this is influenced by 'Elite', a game I played the shit out of in 1984 on my trusty Apple IIe. Supposedly, there's 18 quintillion possible planets to find, and the generation of all of it is fascinating to me. Looks like the best time-waster ever.

Trailer

Gameplay Video

Thoughts?

Edit: Here's a very long reddit post about it, explaining a good bit as well.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  16. Gengar

High Score:
  17. Gengar

High Score:
    Pretty credible rumours that the game's delayed... Sigh

I fucking hate release dates. Don't announce them if you can't hit them.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think expecting release dates to be on target is flawed. Unless you only want companies to give timelines once production is completely finished. Ie, 2-3 months from release.

To be fair, this is what Civ VI did and it seemed to work, but yeah. Hard to build hype without giving a general timeline in advance.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Yes. I do want that.

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Better this than an EA release I suppose. Glad I still didn't put in the paperwork for a few days off in June.