1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Gengar, May 14, 2014.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sooooo that episode

First off, I GOD DAMN KNEW IT.

Second, that was amazing. I seriously enjoyed every freaking second of the episode.

2. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Just started watching this...it's unique o_O

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really odd cliffhanger.

Odd that it's clear it is one, but I'm not sure why.

A little bit disappointed with the Ethan climax too. Was kind of hoping it'd happen at the theater.

Overall, I love this show and that was a fantastic first season. Can't wait for S2.

4. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

So... I saw the first episode and my impressions so far are favorable. I like the atmosphere, it's quite oppressive - the bleakness, the gray and the poverty - it all just hits you and amongst it all you've places like the Explorer Club where you can almost smell the money.

I'm hooked.

I actually found this show thanks to this thread so props to the OP.

5. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Props indeed. And if my mother knew where I found the show, she'd probably give props to you, too.

I thought the Ethan reveal would happen when he and Black Guy were being overrun by the Draculettes.
    I liked the conclusion to the Frankenstein arc, but it wasn't that much of a shock that Billie Piper ended up where she did. The humanizing speech of the monster was done really well, considering what he's done, but they did lay enough groundwork that he was never that much of a bad guy.

I'm not sure I really liked the cliffhanger. It was just... there. They had cliffhangers in a lot of the episodes (floating Ives, dramatic revelation Ives being the ones from 6 and 7 that I remember most clearly), but this just felt token.

6. Krogan

High Score:
    So who's still watching this? I'm really enjoying this new season a lot.

Loving most everyone's storyline but Ethan's is by far my favorite. After tonight's episode is it weird that I'm honestly starting to get invested in Ethan/Hecate even though that's literally guaranteed to bring the apocalypse when the Wolf of God falls?

7. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

It's one of the few shows I still watch, and probably my favorite. Currently starting up the latest episode.

Frankenstein's story is probably the most interesting to me (taking into consideration all the seasons) but Ethan's has delivered really well this season.

Jekyll looks so fed up with Frankenstein's shit.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. Krogan

High Score:
    Really? I have to say Im surprised, to me Frankensteins arc is actually the least interesting this season. He went from sympathetically flawed to flat fucking cartoon villain in zero to sixty with no warning.

Listening to all of the sides of Ethan's story tonight though has been incredible, I was expecting his dad to be some cartoonish villain but fuck me sideways, anyone at all would go nuts after what he had to witness. I was expecting a black and white situation but there are so many shades of gray that it is just fascinating. I wanted to slap someone through a window when it ended on that cliffhanger.

9. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

I feel like he's still sympathetically flawed, as you put it. He's buckled under the weight of his mistakes and everything he's cared about has left him. He's reaching for the last thing that made him happy, ignoring what he's actually doing.

More than that, I also enjoy his interactions with Dr. Jekyll, particularly in this latest episode, and I look forward to the eventual Jekyll/Hyde situation.

Vanessa's story hasn't been interesting to me, except for the scene with the two brothers from last episode. It does hold promise, though, which makes it better than the Lily/Dorian parts. I mostly just forget about those, and with two episodes since they've last been seen, I expect I'm not the only one.

That last scene was the highlight of my night, for sure. It did go a little bit overboard, what with the girl's eyes and all, but that didn't really take anything away from the moment. Ethan's actual father has been much closer to his other "fathers" than I ever expected, he's also trying to save his son in his own way. There's nothing supernatural about the situation between Ethan and his father, except that the fate of the world seems to hang in the balance, just a complex mix of emotions.

I will be annoyed if the resolution to this episode doesn't happen right at the beginning of the next one.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh. The FrankenTriangle is why I stopped watching the show. It went from an awkward cringefest that detracted from the characters I actually cared about to the same, but taking up some serious screen time.