1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Odran

Odran Prisoner

[​IMG]

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

I've been attempting to find any decent pokemon fics in the last week or so, and I've re-uncovered something that irks me.

II'm a big fan of reported speech for pokemon, because otherwise you end up with stuff like this:

Every second line (or more) is either SQQQUIIIRRRT or CHAAAARRR and it's just really bad. It adds nothing to the text, and could be replaced with

Admittedly, it's not a great replacement, but it took literal seconds to do. There's other issues with the text, too, but I didn't even notice the repetition of "burst out of the ball and landed softly on the..." until now.

I know I've previously dropped pokemon fics for this, usually because they have pokemon talking to each other, and it makes me feel like I'm having a stroke. But it seems like the sort of thing you'd catch yourself on an alpha read, surely?

3. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

I'd say it's a fine replacement, to be honest. The whole "onomatopoeic name cry" thing used to bother me a lot where the anime was concerned.