1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PLAGIARISM

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rache, Aug 3, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Been browsing through ffn and found THIS

So i dug deeper and found that most of his stories are exact copies of many DLP works reposted without any sort of acknowledgement or permission.

And he named himself after the creator of 'Harry fucking Potter'.

Let's flame the life out of this guy.:fire

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yep. Summary of one of the stories:

Literally the summary of TLIL, with a few minor changes. And the title?

A little on the nose.

3. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

... Oh, wow.

Reed in a Storm is an old, old pet-project of mine. It was meant to be the first chapter of a long post-DH story, in which Malfoy's attempts at revenge on Harry set all kinds of things in motion. I think Harry was supposed to marry Gabrielle in that one. Veela stuff ensues.

If it hadn't always come as a nasty shock to see words I've written under some other idiot's name, I'd almost say I was flattered someone remembered. Almost.

(Also, hi, DLP.)

EDIT: VladTheInhaler1? Doesn't that ring a bell?

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Tiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    Reported this dipshit for the "story" I singled out above. FFN probably won't do anything about it, but it's the least I could do.

EDIT: This motherfucker has a quick reaction time. Wanted to post a nice review for him, but he's already blocked me.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, I was contacted by the guy who is doing the witchhunt - https://www.fanfiction.net/topic/12...111111-VladtheInhaler1-Active-Serial-Offender

My story "For Victory or Death" is one of the stolen stories. It was a contest story I wrote like 4 years ago and could only be found on DLP. It's pretty bad, so I find it amusing that someone would go through the effort to take it and repost it on FFN, considering that I am still an active member on both sites. And yeah, I already reported this guy and so have a bunch of other people, but the more people who report the more likely that the people at FFN will take action.

Anyways, I guess having a stolen story is a sign that I've finally made it to the big leagues. Aw yeah.

-edit- It's worth noting that the story of mine that was stolen could have only been accessed by an actual member since it was in the WBA story contest section and nowhere else.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  7. ILikeLurking

ILikeLurking Second Year

I suspect this is Eagle's dastardly vengeance for being banhammered.

Really, though, I can't comprehend this person's motivation. They're fighting really hard to keep stolen material up. It would make more sense to me if they thought that they were still flying under the radar or if they were actively trolling and shit-talking the OAs, but they don't seem to be doing either.

Weird.

8. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Addendum to my previous post: does anyone know what this guy's getting at? The whole thing isn't at all likely and smells "troll" a mile off. All the stories have been posted 6 hours ago. On the other hand, this:

has been posted as a review on my longest story, 48 minutes ago, by the same person.

I mean, yeah, sure. A story with one chapter posted every five months over the past 9 years is clearly a very clever and patient plagiarism (note the spelling).

... sorry, what?

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

There has been a dude who has been posting a lot of (old) stories recently (Vash's stuff, Yarrgh's, nos tres reges and others). So far, he has made three subsequent accounts, all of which have been suspended within a few days. Edit: The very same of which someone posted his re-post of Traitorous a month ago in the WbA, in fact.

I suspect that this is just the latest incarnation and not, actually, vlad (who left FF some years ago) -- but I can contact the real vlad and ask, if someone desperately needs to know. Otherwise, just report, and have the account suspended ... again.

Also, hi Tinn :p

Edit2: Lol, he's pushing my review counter too. Thank you very much, Mr. Thief.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    I'm fucking dying over here.

8 of those reviews for Lesser Evils, one each for two of my other stories. For some reason, the Twilight parody was spared. Very mysterious.

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Just so that people don't get confused, this is the real vlad. So the dude in the OP link is clearly not him.

13. Photon

Photon Order Member

Really nice oneshot. At least this thief found nice story for me.

14. Rache

Rache Headmaster

LOL. I thought nos tres Reges were back to fandom.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's weird, because vlad was one of the three members of Nos Tres Reges.

16. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel insulted.

17. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

That's some seriously incredible audacity, to go about claiming to be the original author of so many stories posted in so short a timeframe, especially when evidence to the contrary is readily available. I mean, really, is it even possible to write that many hundreds of thousands of words in less than three days? On second thought, perhaps it's just stupidity.

Good to see you back on DLP, even if it did take this asshat to draw you out of the woodwork. Hope you're well.

18. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

What I don't understand is the point of all this. He's taking a lot of time to copy and paste the text, publish each story as his own, and update chapters with additional plagiarized text.

He's plagiarized 96 chapters worth of material, so that's 96 copy-and-pastes, on top of tracking down each fic to plagiarize. In addition, he's taking the time to write up individual - albeit short - reviews to multiple different fics and multiple different chapters to egregiously claim that others are plagiarizing from him, which can anyone can see is false in about two seconds worth of thought.

The only person losing time and effort is him. What's the point of trolling when you're the one suffering for it?

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    Rayndeon, maybe he's a kiddie troll. They gotta start somewhere.

20. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Reported Weaves a Hundred Ravens in his Schemes as that was the only one I recognized.

Is it just me, or is that account name one I've visited before? No works before 2 days ago, so seems unlikely, but I swear I recognize the name...

Not open for further replies.