1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Planescape Torment: A review

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MrINBN, Mar 4, 2007.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

So... where to start? I suppose I'll start by saying that this game is awesome. Not just simply "awesome", more like "mind-blowingly awesome". How many other games let you play as an amnesiac immortal that wants to die? Planescape Torment has even made it into the Gaming Hall of Fame as the most original RPG in history. See here.

Gameplay: 8/10
    The gameplay is pretty good. Not perfect, not by any means. There are still a few glitches in the game (infinite gold bug, I'm looking at you) that a savvy player could exploit to make the game way too easy. Still, it's pretty damn good for its time. Torment follows in the same vein as Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and is made by the same company that made those two, Bioware. While playing, you have basically complete control over your character, save two things. One, you can't name your character. He's always known as The Nameless One. And two, You can't majorly change your appearance. You're covered in scars literally from head to toe. As one in game character puts it, "Looks like someone painted you with a dagger." Which brings me to our next section...

Sounds: 9/10
    The sounds for this game are spectacular for their time. Nameless One will say "I'm hurt" or "Gonna die" in the respective situations. When you die and wake up again, your character remarks, "Feels like I've been through a shredder...". Your buddy, Morte the talking and flying skull (don't look at me, I didn't make the game), will often make some strange comment that you can't help but laugh at. For instance:
    Story: 10/10
    The story is truly unique. You wake up in the Mortuary of a city called Sigil, the City of Doors. You have no memory of who you are or how you got to the Mortuary. A talking skull, Morte, approaches you and says he knows you. When you turn around to get a view of where you are, Morte notices that there's a message from you to you written on your back. In the interests of not spoiling the game for the DLP community, I'm going to stop there.

Graphics: 7/10
    For the era in which this game was made (90s), the graphics are just above average. The graphics are almost exactly like Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate 2. An example is here. Still, they're not bad for 1999.

Overall: 8/10

I definitely recommend buying this game if you can find it. You'd probably get it pretty cheap too. I found my copy for 10 bucks in a bargain bin. I still play it today, despite having bought it 7 years ago.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is one of the best games ever. Absolutely brilliant RPG in every category that MATTERS - gameplay, story, atmosphere, etc... If you're interested in shiny graphics and presentation, this game probably isn't for you anyway.

3. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I picked this game up for about ten bucks at Hastings, and I still think its one of the best deals I've ever gotten. I've always liked the Planescape setting, and when I realized there was an RPG using it, I almost drooled.

Then, I did drool, after I began to play.

The story and playability factor is simply amazing, and more than offset the minor bugs. Plus, I loved the bit where death is more incovenient than, well, fatal.

4. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

I've long loved Planescape, and the pcgame was a refreshing bit of fun. The obvious hint that this game was almost designed specifically to target the DLP crowd (their powers of divination are creepy) is the city of Sigil itself. Sigil is ruled by a being know only as the Lady of Pain. I said "being" because it's never made clear what species, if any, the Lady of Pain is, and if that species (assuming it exists) even has a female gender (though I once played a game where we unmasked the Lady only to discover "she" was actually three squirrels on a floating disc with a really good sound system and cool robes). One thing's for sure though, whatever the Lady of Pain is, she is the ultimate Dark Lord. She even kicked the gods around. Just told them they weren't welcome in her city and to get the fuck out, surprisingly they did.