1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Gen 5

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lutris: Seratin wanted to know if the ice cream thing is worth catching.

2. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

No. It isn't.

Also, I'm thinking of making a Pokemon usergroup where we can pool all of our friend codes, grouped by game generation, as well as send out notices for new tournaments and the like.

On top of that, I'd like to coordinate a Gen V Pokemon tournament if at all possible within the next few days, to see how all of you newcomers to B/W are adapting to the changes this gen. Ideally, I'd sit out (you know, having an excess of 6 months of experience), and run things from the side.

Thoughts?

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Make it maybe 2 weels and I'm in. My copy of White won't arrive until Thursday/Friday.

4. Lutris

I'll make a thread dedicated to the Tourney after i post this, then. I'm thinking probably two weeks for people to get acclimated to the gen 5 metagame, train up a bit, then start the prelims up. If we can get 8+ people involved, that should be enough to have a short but decent tournament.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finished the game. Apart from the trippy Pokemon league sequence after the elite four the game was awesome. That Chargestone cave is the single most interesting area in all the gens so far imo. It also gave me Ferroseed. A bro for life and what Pineco could have been.

That big ass city (Is it just me or are te town names extremely hard to remember?) was more of a pain than anything. All that potential and the only thing of worth in it was a gym. It didn't even have a fucking department store.

Sadshit was a great starter choice. I have a lack of ice or dragon moves in my team for the first time ever but I found that Samurott's Revenge made them redundant and destroyed any dragons that came close.

Off to the eastern side of Unova now.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just started on my new White version, and found that the first things I have to kill are puppies. Feels bad man.

Also, picked Oshawott because fuck it, somebody has to! Also I always pick water first >_>.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  7. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I did too, and to boot, I didn't pick 'im in my Nuzlocke version because I didn't want to risk losing him. :3 Oshawott's the boss.

8. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Likewise, my samurai otter has been steadily demolishing everything in his path. And he just learned Revenge. Fuck yeah.

On the topic of my playthrough, I've been collecting the gym badges at a disturbingly fast rate. I've only been playing for a few hours and have already gotten my fifth badge. I hope there'll be an extensive "after-league" storyline like in SoulSilver. The whole game seems to be progressing faster than the earlier generations, leveling and all. At least now it makes sense why so many pokemon take more leveling to evolve in this game than previous ones.

However, I'm loving the reusable TMs and the ability to us HMs as soon as you get them regardless of which badges you have. The ability to select more than one item is useful as well.

Anyways, my team so far consists of a Joltik, Krokorok, Sigilyph, and of course, my trusty Dewott. I'm also planning on picking up a Litwick and a Deino.

All in all, I'm having a load of fun. This game is infinitely more satisfying than the fourth generation, in spite of the fact that there are literally no previous generation pokemon at all thus far.

9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ehh, I always get rid of my starter about midway in. I like variation more.

10. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I usually do too. But during my first couple playthroughs I like to try them out; see if they're any good, you know? For this game, I'll probably try Snivy next and leave the pig alone. I've had quite enough fire/fighting starters, thank you very much.

11. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Hunh, the new exp formula is kinda amusing. It's now technically possible to get 1.5 million exp in one battle, which should take you to level 100. For reference, the most that was possible in Gen IV and before was 13,000 or so in a single battle.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

How do I shot 1m exp? :eek:

13. Lutris

Level 1 pokemon (yours) versus Level 100 pokemon (opponent), with EXP boost from C-Gear, while holding EXP boosting items.

>_>

14. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

That's pretty much right. The system rewards being underleveled by rewarding massive experience points to catch up. Likewise, it highly punishes grinding since exp gets constantly diminishing returns, unlike before where regardless of level, you get a consistent exp amount back. For example, assuming the two scenarios of your starter facing off against a level 7 Purrloin, with one scenario your starter being level 7 and in the other being level 12, the exp returns for both would be respectively 79 exp and 51 exp. It might not seem like much but as the gap increases, so does the punishment for grinding.

15. Lutris

It also means that leveling up to Lv.50 becomes extremely easy after you beat the storyline, as the E4 and the Champion have pokemon with levels ranging from 70~83ish. Lv.50's all you need to be able to battle competitively, as battles are usually held in lv.50 Flat Battles (level 50 level cap where any higher levels are lowered back down to 50).

This means that this gen is exceedingly friendly for competitive trainers, especially since TMs and HMs are reusable indefinitely.

I'd still give my left nut to be able to breed Stealth Rock this gen though :/

16. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

I didn't think I'd like this game, turns out it's awesome. I'm not very far into it (have 4 badges) but I'm really enjoying it. Krokorok is my favorite so far, moxie ability rocks.

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

So, I guess it's about time for me to shelve Pokemon Black. I caught all the (available) legendaries, beat all the superbosses. I'm not going to go out of my way to complete the Unovadex because I've killed too many Audinos as it is. It was a great ride. I can't wait for more content.

18. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Beat my Nuzlocke run of White last night. Some seriously horrifyingly stupid mistakes along the way, but it'll make for a good story when I put it up on FF.net. Still gotta finish off Black, so my afternoon's set. Awesome fucking games, both of them. A few minor problems - really, my biggest is the fact there's no more "L=A" shortcut, and the design of a few of the new Pokemon would make even Baro curl up and cry, but the first is just a minor setback and the second... I mean really, we've had a few derpy designs in every generation, so I let it slide because this gen also gave me Samurott. Fuck yeah Samurott.

Oh, and the music is bitchin'. Music in the past games never really held my attention too long, but these two games are awesome in that regard.

19. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only real thing that bothered me about White was that I couldn't name my rival.

My best friend and I have a tradition of always naming our rivals after each other. I would've gladly gotten rid of the name Cheren and put something else there.

20. Lutris

Anybody got a male Hitmonchan with Drain Punch and Mach Punch? I need one to make my Conkeldurr.