1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon tournament - NU

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A few tactical errors later and I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Good game goes to Mattsilver who tossed Silens and I by the wayside.

3. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Just beat Silens and then Seratin. Both very good and very close games, and I've finally had my revenge on Seratin's damn Shuckle. Espeon <3.

4. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Finally, things are shaping up.

Good luck to Vira and Matt for the Semis. Hurry it up so I can beat your asses into the ground. >:3

By the by, is the winner going to get anything this time?

5. Seratin

High Score:
    I still have Red's prize on my DS because he never set up a time to collect it. Also, the wi-fi on my DS is on the fritz.

6. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Vira raped me. Lutris, she's all yours.

7. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And thus, Lutris takes the championship.

It was an epic battle and I thought I had a chance of victory, but then my Slowking was taken down and all hope was lost.

Great game, Lutris. :)

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

We were all doomed from the moment Lutris said "In /filler.", but we just didn't realise it. First DLP, then the world. All hail our Japanese overlord. Congrats.

Oh, and props to Seratin for setting this all up and cutting folk loose who didn't battle fast enough. Almost makes up for that fucking Shuckle. Almost.

9. Lutris

I just beat Vira in a pretty damn epic battle. Unfortunately, neither of us had the forethought to save the logs.

But in the end, my Whiscash saved the day and carried me to victory >:3

VICTORY!

EDIT: I'm also stupid and didn't see the previous posts showering me with congratulations. :awesome

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  10. Seratin

High Score:
    Well, that tournament took a fucking age. Thanks to everyone who participated. NU was a hell of a lot of fun to use. Congratulations to our new Champion...

:fireLutris:fire
    :fireThe Jap's eye:fire
    :fire:fire:fire:fire:fire

11. Lutris

Anyway, here's my team, and the basic strategies behind my pokes. Sorry for the Wall-O-Text.

Without further ado, this is my winning team:

[​IMG]
    Nidoqueen @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Impish (SpAtk - Defense +)
    Ability: Poison Point
    EVs: HP 252 Def 252 SpDef 6

Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Toxic Spikes
    Attract

[​IMG]
    Lapras @ Leftovers
    Nature: Calm (Attack - SpDef +)
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: HP 252 SpDef 252 SpAtk 6

Surf
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Confuse Ray

[​IMG]
    Whiscash @ Chesto Berry
    Nature: Jolly (SpAtk - Speed +)
    Ability: Anticipation
    EVs: Atk 252 Def 28 Speed 228

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Earthquake
    Rest

[​IMG]
    Manectric @ Life Orb
    Nature: Timid (Atk - Speed +)
    Ability: Static
    EVs: SpAtk 252 Speed 252

Roar
    Hidden Power (Grass)
    Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower

[​IMG]
    Charizard @ Salac Berry
    Nature: Jolly (SpAtk - Speed +)
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: Atk 252 Speed 252

Belly Drum
    Substitute
    Fire Punch
    Earthquake

[​IMG]
    Hitmonchan @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Adamant (SpAtk - Atk +)
    Ability: Iron Fist
    EVs: HP 40 Atk 252 Speed 216

Close Combat
    Ice Punch
    Fire Punch
    Thunderpunch

I usually lead with Nidoqueen, who is able to set up entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes to great effect later in the game. Focus Sash ensures that she stays alive for two turns, which in turn guarantees that Stealth Rock is put into play (SR takes priority over TS, because in the event that the opponent has a Poison type, they can be cancelled out). If it looks like I can outspeed or force an exchange in the first turn, I use Attract (provided genders match, and they usually do) to further ensure a successful setup of entry hazards. Even then, if my opponent leads with a physical attacker, Nidoqueen has very good physical defensive stats and can take at least two hits from most Pokes, even discounting the Focus Sash.

Lapras was my primary Special Defense wall, and my alternate lead Pokemon. I lead with her to counter Silens' team, from insight granted by numerous pre-match battles. She's able to take a lot of special attack hits, and especially in the case of Seratin's Rain Dance team, she's a hell of an insurmountable wall against water attacks. With Confuse Ray to force the opponent to switch out, and Leftovers to recover HP, she was a force to reckon with. Case in point, my Lapras outlasted Silens' Lapras due to mine being built for special defense walling, while his was orientated towards special attack.

Possibly my favorite Pokemon of the entire tier, Whiscash, was a heavy-duty sweeper I had great fun using. Not many people use Whiscash, due to its substandard attacking stats and speed, but with a Dragon Dance or two, this seemingly harmless catfish can become an unstoppable force. With the Chesto Berry and Rest, Whiscash can, after building up its speed and attack with DDs, can fully recover to begin sweeping with impunity. My Whiscash was built to outspeed all but the fastest pokemon in the NU game- specifically, Pokemon like Tauros, Espeon, Jumpluff, or Typhlosion, which I expected to be popular in this tournament. This EV distribution allows it to go to a speed of 351 after one DD, which is faster than Pokemon with 110 base speed even with a speed-boosting Nature (Scarfed pokemon notwithstanding). Unfortunately, a pure Grass type Pokemon or any Pokemon able to learn Grass Knot or Energy Ball can kill it quite dead in one go, Whiscash being to 4x damage from Grass.

Manectric was a standard special sweeper, with decent speed and pretty good special attack. I gave it Life Orb to boost its attacking capabilities, while speeding it as fast as it would go without item boosts. Unfortunately, there are loads of pokemon faster than him. Thunderbolt gives it a powerful STAB attack (and with Life Orb, an additional x1.5 damage boost), and with Flamethrower and Hidden Power Grass, its attack coverage was nothing to sneeze at.

Charizard was a very basic Belly Drum sweeper. A Belly Drum sweeper basically sets up a very fast, very heavy sweep. Belly Drum cuts the user's HP by half of its maximum value, to raise its Attack by the maximum 6 stages (400%). By using Substitute, which cuts HP by 1/4 to create a damage-absorbing clone, Salac Berry can then be activated to increase Speed by 1 stage (150%). If successful, Charizard can sweep almost everything, but at severe risk, as it is very, very vulnerable while setting up, and to priority attacks after it's been set up.

My favorite pick right after Whiscash, Hitmonchan is an often-overlooked Pokemon, since it has inferior speed, attack, and typing to the more popular Medicham. However, it's a much more versatile attacker, and since the Ability Iron Fist grants a x1.2 attack boost to all punches, a very powerful sweeper when used correctly. Close Combat is a 120 damage Fighting move, and with STAB (x1.5) in addition to Iron Fist (x1.2), it goes up to a whopping 216 damage. Ice/Fire/Thunder Punches are used to gain an advantage over Pokemon I otherwise can't beat, by striking opponents with their weak types. Choice Scarf boosts its speed so that it can outspeed most Pokemon in the NU game, and with this, it can take care of a majority of pokemon.

tl;dr, In summary, Nidoqueen sets up a variety of entry hazards while taking care of as much as she can, Lapras protects weaker pokemon like Hitmonchan and Manectric, and Manectric is a versatile special attacker, while Hitmonchan is a versatile Atk attacker, and Whiscash and Charizard are the aces in the holes.

12. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Congratulations. I still wanted to keep my sig so I've modified it. >_>