1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

Poland 2015 Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ScottPress, Aug 8, 2015.

1. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

The problem is, the younger ones are not better. They've learned their trade from their corrupted masters. I've participated in a research project 10 years ago (uni days :) )... we got to talk with a lot of young politicians, all the parties, 16-30 yo, I'd say - they are worse. Dumber, even more concentrated on immediate gratification, no ideological sophistication, and the worst were people with degrees in political science...
    Reversed age line is not enough, we'd need to exclude all professional politicians, regardless of age.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    But at least Kaczynski, Macierewicz and all the rest of them would be out.

3. Zvohunter

Zvohunter Second Year

That's exactly the problem. Instead of choosing someone better, we're willing to vote for anyone as long as this or that guy doesn't get elected.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    That's a perfectly good reason to vote, as far as I'm concerned. If there's also the option of casting a vote for a party/candidate you genuinely want to see elected, not just to deny the other guy votes, that's doubly awesome.

Of course I would like for there to be an option worthy of support in 2019, but if there isn't, I'll be happy to just try to get L&J out of office. Possibly the only worse scenario would be if Korwin-Mikke won, but fortunately he has a snowball's chance in hell of doing that.

Unless, of course, Poland listens to his xenophobic, virulently anti-EU and just plain unrealistic rhetoric, but hopefully we're not so far gone as a nation. Yet.

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

[​IMG]

Seriously speaking, what PiS is dowing now is recreating of nomenklatura but with their own people. The most jarring example of this is the entire debacle with Janów Podlaski and Michałów studs that dealth with Arabian horses. Their CEO's who worked there for over 30 years and made those studs one of the best - if not the best - in the world, were fired overnight and replaced with complete nobodies. One of those nobodies even tolde the press that horses are his hobby and he is sure that he will find the position of CEO most interesting.

6. Zvohunter

Zvohunter Second Year

Not that I am defending PiS, but didn't this guy also lose a lot of money instead of actually making it, just as he was supposed to? I am pretty pissed that he was replaced by PiS' bootlicker.

Also, Ziobro has just announced that our government will IGNORE the Tribunal. Fucking cunt.
    ScottPress
    Ozjasz Goldberg will never win the elections. He's a Jewish cyborg designed to gather right-wing youth in one place and then fail their expectations as many times as possible so that they become disillusioned with similar political options.

7. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I call bullshit on that. PiS needed some flimsy reason so they could get rid of them - and saying that someone lost public money will sell nicely to the average voter (i.e. a complete idiot). It is pure vengence on part of a PiS senator that had a horse at one of those stud, but the horse died. And he did not recieve the recompensation that he wanted - a foal from one of the most expensive horses in Poland and Europe. This is like asking for a brand new Ferrari when your old and trusty Volkswagen broke down.

Rule of thumb - PiS is full of shit, they are always lying and they are never right.

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Interview with Duda in the WP.

If I knew literally nothing about anything and just read that, my takeaway would be a guy standing in front of piled-up cars of a mass crash while smiling and telling people nothing to see here, all in perfect order, move on please.

I dunno that that is the impression you want people to have of your country.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    "The other guys did bad things, so we should be allowed to as well."

Oh Jesus.

And he's an independent President in the same way I'm a teen mom. The one sensible thing he said was about NATO. The rest is just typical evasion. And Sesc, no need to be condescending. Of course that's not what we want Poland to be like. AFAIK there isn't a single L&J supporter among Polish DLPrs. But half of the country is stupid. Not much we can do about that, mostly just wait till they die out. :fire

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Ah, sorry if it came off that way. It was intended as a statement in a hypothetical conversation with Duda, not directed towards you or anyone else here in particular.

11. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

So if you noticed the article began with "edited excerpts follow". Without going into a debate here, I'll just say that the situation is much more complicated than the article presented.

I'm more curious on why WP made a guy who is very intelligent, eloquent and speaks insanely well sound like a retard.

12. Celestin

Celestin Half-Blood Prince

Not really. One man rules Poland and ignores everyone that disagree with him. Not that complicated. Everything else is just details.

13. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

He says same stuff here on TV and in his speeches so it's not some evil manipulation by WP to make him look bad.

People in PiS seem to really believe that they are doing right thing and law is less important than their ideology.
    Polish supreme court along with most of lawyers in Poland (not to mention Constitutional Tribunal itself) all say that the changes made by PiS in CT are bad

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  14. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

They are not bad. They are illegal. Some lawyers are even saying that Duda, Szydło and the others are not only breaking the Constitution, but they are breaking the penal code article 127 - the one about coup d'état

15. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

It must be about the cereal he chooses for his breakfast, the rest is dictated by the dear leader ;)
    Duda is a political non-entity, signing and saying what he's told to, and frequently insulting everybody who disagrees with his boss in very divisive speeches. He perverts the traditional role of president in Poland, who is supposed to be slightly removed from daily political squabbles.
    It's funny that the only pro-Law&Justice Pole here is from Chicago, US Poles tend to be far to the right in comparison to the ones you might meet in, say, UK or Germany. Law & Justice got twice as much % of votes in the US than here in Poland (from emigrants that voted in last elections).

After the government's decision to ignore the Constitutional Tribunal's ruling, we do not live under the rule of law any more, it's a sort of "sovereign democracy" Putin style, just no shootings yet.

And take a moment to read the latest by our foreign minister. Jury is still out on whether it's a concious insult or "innocent" casual racism, but he managed to use a very insensitive (racially) term when asked why Obama won't meet president Duda. Reddit discussion shows the nuances, but lets give it to Law&Justice, subtlety is not their forte ;)

Edit: very good piece in Spiegel International (in English) featuring Jadwiga Staniszkis, a prominent sociologist who used to support L&J until recently. The moment she stopped, insults and accusations started flowing, but she's interesting to listen to (I always believed that and couldn't understand her political choices... her books about Polish transformation from communism to democracy are very insightful).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  16. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

And things still are getting worse now our PM said that she is for complete ban on abortion and that voice of church is needed, also church gets the exception on ban on trade of polish land :facepalm
    heh next thing we know and we will have theocracy here in country :fire

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  17. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

XVI century - still true.

18. Celestin

Celestin Half-Blood Prince

Well, that escalated quickly enough.

Any bets that PiS will try to pass a new constitution in 2017 exactly as they did budged? I mean, if it worked once what stops them from doing it again?

EDIT:

An information about what's happening in Poland.

The article focuses mostly on media restriction, but this part is more troubling.

As questionable as having a vote without the opposition is, nobody can even confirm that a quorum was present which puts a big question mark to its legality.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  19. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

PiS as an anti-communist party is bringing back all the communist tricks and style of narration back in play. Let's just hope that this does not end with our own Majdan, here in Poland. But still I await the time when insted of shouting "you'll go to jail", people will shout "you'll hang" to memebers of PiS - after all, they allowed and used this kind of language against people of different views than them, so turnaround is a fair play.

And just recently I heard a good definition of what would be the greatest punishment for Kaczyński - for the people to drag his brothers coffin from Wawel and unceremoniously dump it on the middle of a street.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  20. ScottPress

High Score:
    This last weekend has been the greatest shitshow PiS (every time I see that acronym I can't help but think "the piss party") has ever put on. Let's sum up how exactly the Polish Parliament went from zero to a hundred.

Speaker of the Sejm announces the truly shtty and retarded plan to restrict press access to the MPs, then bans an opposition MP from debate for making a joke.

Opposition blocks the podium, although the hypocritical shits only moved to do that after the opposition MP Michał Szczerba was banned, they didn't get up there to protest the press restrictions because having the journalists see less of MPs fucking around or eating salad instead of doing their job serves them too, the shifty cowards, but this is a great opportunity to politicize a crisis and shit on the government.

Protests escalate, the government passes the budget in the middle of the night without the opposition present. The President Andrzej Duda offers his services as a mediator and everyone laughs at him, because we all know that Kaczyński keeps Duda's balls in a jar.

Saturday evening the Prime Minister gives a variation of the speech she'd given on the anniversary of her administration, putting emphasis on her govt's flagship social program, 500+, glossing over the fact that they're rasing taxes like a motherfucker to pay for that stupid shit. She also says that they went back to 65 years for men and 60 for women retirement age which is an asinine fucking concept in the supposed age of gender equality (why not 63 for everyone?). While she's speaking, I mutter angrily about prosecutorial/judiciary reforms and the Constitutional Tribunal.

Then she says (in a vaguely contemptuous tone, I thought) that we can protest if we want to, but that we mustn't divide the Polish people (pffft... good one) and that the ruling party isn't responsible for this mess, somehow forgetting the fact that it was Speaker Kuchciński who had lit the fuse and then poured gasoline into that fire.

Overall, the Prime Minister's address did exactly what she professed shouldn't be happening - cemented the divide, being an affirmation of PiS's righteousness to their supporters and a not-so-subtle middle finger to their opponents. Thanks for nothing, ma'am.

My absolute favorite bit, however, was when Kaczyński, during his press conference on Saturday, said that there would be no press access restrictions and then immediately contradicted himself, then said that journalists with tape recorders would be allowed in the building, proving once again how out of touch he is with the real world.

Kaczyński is in too deep to turn around now, because he would have to admit that he's wrong and he will never do that. I'm not normally one to wish people ill, but this man needs to die, because he won't willingly step out of politics. He's making the country worse for everyone.