1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Political Compass, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Darth_Revan, Apr 22, 2017.

1. deyas

deyas DA Member

[​IMG]

Fairly consistent with the previous times I've taken this test.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

This.

I don't know that I got this annoyed at the test the last time I did it. Every other question makes me want to scream because it can't possibly be answered in this simple way resp. the statement just doesn't make any sense. In the particular case of the first question: No, globalisation is not "inevitable". It's just desirable. And I don't want it to serve any one agenda, because one needs -- as always -- to consider a healthy mix of interests.

This thing asks me to be radical. I am not radical. What am I supposed to click? The invisible "neither" button? My desire to even start this test approaches zero :(

Edit: Yeah, I don't get the supposed opposites of the questions at all. Like, "Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment" -- what has one got to do with the other? The answer is neither. Both. Ask a question that makes sense. Why can't I control inflation while controlling unemployment? I don't get it :confused:

Edit 2: And stuff like this: "A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system" is supposed to test what -- whether you agree with basic facts? Of course any sort of one-man rule is the most efficient form of governing when it comes to making decisions. It's an entirely different question whether this sort of efficiency is desirable.

Edit 4: Well, here it is. I randomly picked answers to questions that made no sense.

[​IMG]

Yay for having no political party, assuming I was an American voter ;)

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One is monetary policy, the other is fiscal policy. It's asking which is more important.

4. Feanor

Feanor Third Year

Economic Left/Right: -8.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.9

[​IMG]

Expected result on the left/right spectrum, though I find it odd that social values are labeled libertarian. I guess I always thought of it as an economic thing, against government regulation etc. I suppose that would be the bottom right square.

5. Sesc

... then, first of all, they should ask that. And second, I still don't see a contradiction. The question is worded in a way that gives a clear preference of one over the other, and on top of that implies you only can have one -- and I can only "agree" or "disagree".

Well, I disagree that the question makes sense, but I don't think that is what they meant (and I have a feeling that hitting "disagree" also isn't taken to mean the simple "no, A is not more important than B", but "B is more important than A").

Both things are important, and the idea that you would only use changing tax rates or changing interest rates (as an example) as tools to influence the economy -- or, taking the question literally, ignore the unemployment rate and only look at price stability or vice versa -- is just nonsensical. Who would even do that?

I'm dissatisfied :|

6. vlad

vlad Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    [​IMG]

This is my political compass when I am playing Paradox games. Foreign cultures are nothing but savages but they can be readily and easily assimilated. Inflation is the worst thing this side of being poisoned by an unruly nephew. The rich should be taxes as close to 100% as possible but not a dime of it should go to anything but the army-industrial complex (and palaces). Opium is toetz kewl.

7. Seyllian

Seyllian Professor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This test was simply horrid. The questions are not decisive enough and can have too many different interpretations.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Quiddity

Quiddity Auror

What? No.

They're different ways of using monetary policy. The mandate of central banks since the 1980s has been to target inflation, because when they targeted unemployment during stagflation it led to high inflationary expectations.

That is the real reason this question makes no sense. Because it's asked as though it's normative, when it is in fact positive.

9. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's the government which spends the money resulting from quantitative easing, that's fiscal policy. Central banks can't really do anything about employment beyond lowering the interest rate.

10. Meerkats

Meerkats High Inquisitor

I thought I was more centre than this:

Economic Left/Right: -6.0
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

[​IMG]

11. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

Lol these are always terrible.

Mostly because general principles do not policy make.

Economic Left/Right: -3.63
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
    [​IMG]

e: I like 8values better. Still think it's underestimating my hawkishness, but I was looking for recognition of bland centrism, and by god I got it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  12. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My own 8values are very close to Iron Rose's:

[​IMG]

13. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Never done the 8values one before. I think I'm probably a little more central on the dove/hawk bar than that would indicate, both otherwise seems like a decent approximation.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Sesc

This one is a lot better, question-wise. Plus it has a neutral button.

[​IMG]

I can live with that. (I didn't know "social libertarianism" was a thing, but it sure sounds catchy.)

Edit: It's fun to play around with the result address. You see the percentages and can adjust them -- e.g. setting the civil axis to near 0 (Totalitarian) and the societal axis to near 100% (Revolutionary) produces Technocracy, and if you then add nearly 100% peace ("Ultra-Pacifist" :mrgreen:) I don't think it makes any sort of sense any more, but you get Global Totalitarism :D

15. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did that a month ago. There were several questions I wasn't comfortable answering in the method provided, or I thought were worded weirdly. I'll do that other test maybe when I have time. [​IMG]

Edit:

[​IMG]

Seems pretty close? I dunno.

16. Meerkats

Meerkats High Inquisitor

I did the 8values thing too. Guess I have strong opinions:

[​IMG]

17. Garden

Garden Minister of Magic

Funny results. I'd more accurately/fussily describe myself as a centrist-libertarian-ish person with a collection of occasionally radical views but I guess these aren't too far from what I believe. My social views are pretty libertarian but

8 Values

[​IMG]

Political Compass​

[​IMG]

As others have pointed out there are a number of questions with factual answers in the Political Compass. For instance:

I don't believe this is true of a majority of criminals but there are clearly some that are highly likely to re offend (this review suggests nonpsychpaths benefit from kind of therapy/rehabilitation, while psychopaths do not, and in fact, may re-offend at higher rates if given those treatments.)

And yet answering this with "Highly Agree" probably pushed my score towards the right.

There were other answers I am puzzled by:

Does answering Highly Agree make you a left-wing nut or a right-wing nut? Or a new-agey, vaguely libertarian left-of-center? Confused...

Ditto with this one:

In the 8 values test I'm a little annoyed with the questions too.

I (like most?) think there's a big role for both. Some public research has been immensely valuable-- like all the military research that indirectly produced the internet-- but so is private research. I'm not even sure how to distinguish private research from public research given tax benefits private companies get for R&D, public-private partnerships, etc.

So leaving it to the market (not funding it all) is dumb but both are important.

18. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Interesting...

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

[​IMG]

20. Feanor

Feanor Third Year

[​IMG]

Look Ma, I'm a communist! It occurs to me that this places me very far left, even though I generally tend to dislike the people on the left almost as much as I do the people on the far right.