1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Book 13 Blurb

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by fuubar, May 14, 2010.

1. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Wasn't that Harry's dream? Bit of a cop-out, but still first-person.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It was intended to be that way (or so it seemed), but it wasn't written from HP's perspective until the very end, so an argument could be made that it really wasn't.

That's just semantics though. The change in perspective didn't hurt the Potter books because they're written in the third person limited POV, which is substantially different from first person.

3. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Butcher's already announced the first sentence of the next book and it sounds like it's from HD's perspective. Something along the lines of "Dying is easy, but Living is hard".

Somehow I doubt that the main books will be from anyone but Harry's POV.

4. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Butcher has stated he wouldn't write a novel from anyone's perspective but Harry, at least not any set in the current time frame (ie, the present day). He said he might go back and write a novel from McCoy's perspective about the French and Indian wars, but otherwise, other characters narrate only in the occasional short story.

tl;dr: Books are from Harry's POV only.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, again, I've never thought that he would write an entire book from anyone's perspective other than Harry's. An introductory chapter, maybe, but that's all I could possibly see. And only in a situation like this. Could sort of make it a cop-out somehow like Rowling did with Potter, and have Dresden there but not there or something, due to him being dead.

Granted someone made a good point that it's easier to do with third person than first, so perhaps not.

I think it'll be kickass whatever he does though. And yeah, probably won't be this, but personally I'm not ruling it out 100% yet. ;)

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Actually, I'm going to agree with you, CT. It's perfectly possible to narrate a chapter loosely, with third-person wording; ie, the narrator doesn't inject any personal comments, or refer to themself. Then come to the last paragraph, and, BAM. Suddenly, you get a snarky comment or two and realise you've been reading from a character's perspective the whole time. Say, a book opens with descriptions of people's actions; several pages later, we find out Harry (or whatever the narrator's name is) has been observing those people from his ghostly, invisible, fly-on-the-wall status.
    Gives the reader a nice "Ha!" moment.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aftermath (the novella stated to be set 45 minutes after the end of Changes) is from Murphy's perspective, just like Even Hand will be from Johnny Marcone's and Backup was from Thomas'.

8. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Fuck October is a long way away, too early to getting excited yet?