1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Plot Hole, or I just missed something

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Vesvius, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

It means nothing. Under the whole buying a round thing, the drinks aren't gifts, because everyone ends up paying the same. She's now under an obligation to stick to the rotation established - that is, whoever payed this time won't pay again until the others also have - but she doesn't suddenly become indebted to whoever paid that round.

2. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm just skimming, so someone else might have already mentioned this, but familial love probably doesn't affect White vamps the same way as the other kind.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Its not the love between Harry and Thomas, but the love between Harry and Susan not affecting Thomas like it did Lara.

4. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Ah, I see. Must have brain-farted that one. The obvious answer is that Thomas isn't trying to feed on Harry. Every example I can recall of a White getting burned by something lovey-dovey involved them using their powers in some way, either as an attractant, or actually feeding.

The classic example is Inari, who was able to touch and kiss Harry, no problem, but got burned when she tried to feed.

5. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's been said before but basically this.

As for the lemonade thing, besides the obvious parallels with Aurora giving Harry food and no favors being owed, the point is equal trade, an exchange. You don't borrow a toothpick and have your repayment being your firstborn child.

6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not that a Sidhe wouldn't try to get you to agree to that though, if they thought they could.

I do think that's a little strange, but I'd say that 'Mac's pub is accorded neutral territory' isn't a sufficient answer, at the Bianca's party, everyone was supposedly assured hospitality. You would think then, that any gift given (like food, or shelter) wouldn't need a reciprocal gift in return, and we don't have any screen time of Leannsidhe repaying the gift of food.

7. Koalas

High Score:
    Lol, very true. You'll both agree to your the service/payment but the Sidhe will get the better deal is a better way of putting it.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read the Inari thing differently.

She was able to touch Harry without harm because she isn't fully a White Vampire yet. Thomas is trying to keep her from going down that road, hoping she falls in love with ... Bobby? and avoids the life he and his other siblings live.

When she gets burned it's because that aspect of her is dominant. But it's not what she is yet unlike Thomas and Lara.

Actually I guess it could be read either way, but that was my take.

9. Koalas

High Score:
    Raith White Court Vampires feed through lust, with actual reciprocated love being poison to them (and presumably all WC vampires). Until they are Inari's age (18-21) they are a normal humdrum human. At this magical age however the phage that attaches itself to the souls of WC vampires begins to awaken and the first tenuous 'merging' of their selves begin, and they presumably become they physically perfect specimens they are. Its at this time the need to feed begins. If said vampire feeds on Joe/Jane the plumber it is fatal, their self and the phage's becoming permanently intertwined. If the first feeding is with someone they truly love, and is loved in return, the phage is separated never to return.

The only thing I wonder about is that Inari's initial feeding was seemingly triggered by her attraction to Harry. So what happens with underage sex? Safe, or an early merging?

10. Tehan

If popping the seal early would make them vampirised early, then Boss Raith would have tapped that as early as possible to get his psychic claws (and his penis) into her, the same way he did with his other daughters. So he's got to wait until her vampire side wakes up on it's own before slapping the dicking domination onto her.

Either that or Jim Butcher just wasn't going to go there, and you can't really blame him if that's the case.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's the feeding part that burns them. Thomas feeds on Justine automatically, he's canonly admitted that Justine is the one thing that he and his vamp side both can't get enough of.

The feeding thing again.

Neither of these are the case.

Who's to say they don't have a running tab? o_ô

Tehan so gets it. <3

Anyway, it was mentioned that the run in with the Black Court vamps jumpstarted Inari's vamp side into effect, due to shock, I believe.

God I love that scene.

So far, what I've worked out is using their power, and feeding on a victim are two seperate things, which usually coincide. Lara is different from your average White Court vampire because she can control herself. She even blushes in embaressment when Dresden points out that she lost control.

<33

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  12. Ched

@Jon -- If it's the feeding thing that burns them, then why can accidentally picking up a Wedding Ring burn them? Obviously they aren't trying to feed on that, and I think it's too much to assume that those types of things only burn them if they are attempting to feed on someone at the time they touch it and no one knows it. (Unless I missed that bit)

I guess it's possible that rings and other such things only burn them if they are trying to feed when they touch it, but that seems like another iffy explanation. It's as good as anything else I've seen though.

And I agree with everything you said about Lara.

13. Tehan

Wedding rings aren't people in love, they're the very symbol of undying, life-long love between two people. Symbols are serious fucking business in the Dresdenverse.

And it wouldn't surprise me if, once upon a time, wedding rings were cripplingly agonising to White Court vamps, but the rising divorce rate has reduced them to merely painful.

14. sparkar

sparkar Muggle

Then why does the scarf that Justine gave Thomas burn him if he touched it? I think the symbol thing is correct however it matters if it a symbol of love to the couple not in general. remember it is not the symbol in the books that are important but rather the belief in the symbol. Justine giving Thomas clothes is the only way she can find to show her love and both of them believe in their love and see the scarf as a smybol, same with wedding rings, wedding rings and engagement rings are symbols of true love to the people who give them, and people believe they are proof that their love is eternal.

15. Jon

Because it was made with love, durrr.

Never heard of that phrase before?

If she made him a sandwich out of love he'd get food poisoning.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Or just really bad curry squirts.

/shitting on your thread

17. Catch42

Catch42 Squib

I think that while fairies are required to repay favors, circumstances and tradition due dictate what counts as a gift. Dresden invited Fix (and Lily included herself in the invite) to McAnally's, and therefore one might argue that it was therefore Dresden's responsibility to pay for the drinks; the payment made is that Fix bothered to show up. If I were to invite you to a party and then not specify any obligations concerning it, then I would not expect you to attempt to repay me for any food or drink consumed, as the fact that the guest came to the party is the payment rendered.

18. Ched

Another note -- and you'll have to bear with me here, I don't have a copy of the book with me and even I suspect that I missed something obvious -- but in one of the books, I think Summer Knight, where Mab asks Harry to investigate what happened to Raoul or whoever...

Harry owes Mab three favors because his debt to Lea got passed on to Mab in that form, etc. He gets to pick which favors he chooses to do for Mab to fulfill this.

In Summer Knight Mab asks Harry to look into the thing with Raoul as a favor. If I recall correctly Harry doesn't want to get involved and Mab's response is something along the lines of "Yeah, well, you'll see. You'll end up doing it anyway."

And true enough, he does. He goes to the White Council meeting where he gets cornered into investigating it anyway. Mab's comment, however, made it sound like she knew that would happen beforehand.

So why did she need to use one of her three favors here? If she knew he was going to be investigating it anyway then she could have just waited for him to come to her and used her favor for something else.

19. Jon

Mab played it well here.

Dresden was about to be voted out of the Council, and fed to the vampires. Mab pretty much saved his ass by giving him a way out. Had she not put the option there it wouldn't have been avaliable for Harry to save himself, or find out.

Kinda hungover.. so yeah not sure if that makes sense.

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter