1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Post Icon Upgrade

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Jon, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Hey guys.

I'm at the start of upgrading our lovely array of post icons, as some of you may have noticed from the first one which has been put on a certain section of game posts.

This is your chance to contribute!

I'm looking for icons to add to the list.

The requirements are very simple. It has to be related to a common theme of posts on the site—and it has to look cool, of course.

Icon's are to be 16x16 in GIF format.

Submit to the following form:

ICON:[​IMG]
    Subject: League of Legends

So, tell me DLP, what content do you think is posted enough about to have it's own icon?

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. Rudolph

Rudolph Third Year DLP Supporter

ICON: [​IMG]

Subject: Pokemon

Knowing how Pokemon tends to be talked about a lot on the forums, thought it'd be best to make an icon for it.

4. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I think an icon for each of the major fandoms would be cool. Dresden Files, Naruto, etc.

5. Jon

Haven't found something that symbolises Dresden enough, and we already have plenty of Lightning bolts for Hp on the site. Lol.

*Added Naruto Icon
    *Added Pokemon Icon

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Pentacle would do it.

Granted it has a lot of other meanings, but being a Dresden fan I've come to associate it strongly with him. Especially on a site like this where the meaning is likely to be Dresden, even if it might also be something else.

---------- Post automerged at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

What about a "Mafia/Werewolf" icon for all those games that go on regularly? No idea what could be used to symbolize that, but perhaps someone who plays more often than I would know.

[Edit] If we're doing icons for Naruto, Dresden, etc. What about an "Original" icon? I'm not sure if that would be something people cared about or not, but I'm thinking about something to tag all the threads with that are original stories, brainstorming sessions for people working out their magic systems for a story, and so on.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  7. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

How about a Tommy Gun? Or a fedora hat? Or a mini Don Vito Corleone ;)

8. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Fedora hat would work, or just a little werewolf. Also I second the motion for pentacle Dresden icon. Maybe even pentacle/staff if you can swing that (dunno how you're getting these).

Also could you add the Naruto icon to my fic? I like it. :3

9. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Bless you Jon, you sly dog, you shouldn't have :eek: I'm such a whore for ways to contribute non-financially. Allow me to spitball some shit for your perusal.

Academia Suggestions:

[IMGUR]6tBLZUc[/IMGUR] or [IMGUR]uMWqzRh[/IMGUR] or [IMGUR]isCw9V3[/IMGUR]

Final one would be my preference. Pile of books = academia = definite read when so inclined, definite avoid when not. Lazy C.21 consumer-lizard that I am, at least do me the honour of affirming my disinterest at a glance.

NSFW thread suggestions:

[IMGUR]xgAfcDk[/IMGUR] or [IMGUR]OFuZH1c[/IMGUR] or [IMGUR]pqX5CfC[/IMGUR]

Reiterating the 'at-a-glance' necessity of identifying certain threads at certain times, the [NSFW] tag has diluted more and more annually. Personally, there is very little my colleagues won't laugh at if I time it right, especially going by modern thread tagging. Instead, 'not-safe-for-work' in the modern sense refers to 'what-I'll-deny-ever-having-seen', aka things that you would not share under any circumstance. A particularly inspired post in one of DLP's Hotties threads, for example, might at some point be appropriate to the workplace. Anything in Common Room / Sick and Peverse, however? Or, worse still, Library / Romance!?

'NSFW' as a trope needs a whole new reimagining, in my opinion, but in the meantime a dedicated 'avoid if unsure' icon might be helpful, if not outright sensible. [IMGUR]s3wMsPE[/IMGUR] is a whole different ballgame to [IMGUR]wrIycwo[/IMGUR].

PYP / Real Life / Meetup Thread Suggestions

I don't necessarily want to see you ugly IRL mug. Put something simple and universal in my way! [IMGUR]ltMep2U[/IMGUR] Some person's face? Nothing to see here.

Anything with video or large media in it

My oh my, do I love waiting for a webpage to load. Is it a gif? Is is a video? Is it my bullshit cheap-as-fuck office's not-leased line? I don't care. If a post links me to something with video in, I want to be prepared for it. [IMGUR]GU6Xbu2[/IMGUR] This is the universal symbol for 'if I really want to play you, I'll find a way.'

'UK-Pertinent Thread' Suggestions:

[IMGUR]UwzBK6h[/IMGUR] or [IMGUR]f2o8Msp[/IMGUR]

I'm aware this will be a relatively controversial idea. However, a number of posts are relevant to UK members and virtually nobody else, though others contribute to them. Next time somebody sees 'RISE OF RIGHT WING LUNATICS' or 'NORTHERN INDEPENDENCE REFERENDUM' in the thread title, I think a UK-relevant icon might prevent a North American heart attack or two. Plus personally being a Britishese, ethnically speaking, sometimes I hop on to find out what DLP's opinion/exposure is to some newly-ridiculous UK shenanigans. Ambiguous thread titles are fun, sure, but quickly identifying discussions about what immediately interests me is sometimea good too.

But for equality's sake, here's a European one:

[IMGUR]c3UIUgN[/IMGUR]

Uhm... rather: [IMGUR]tY1tTZa[/IMGUR]

Anyway. To add to that, I'm searching for other thread archetypes it might be nice to recognise instantly. Just throwing out ideas, it might be nice to immediately identify;

• ...threads about ASOIAF / Game of Thrones: [IMGUR]LpEIXVR[/IMGUR] (the blue/orange Tyrion poster)
    • ...threads that are actually Mafia games [IMGUR]c47gP5L[/IMGUR] Corleone or [IMGUR]XZhiFSt[/IMGUR] IT flag or [IMGUR]FmNGmQ0[/IMGUR] generic bullshit initial.
    • ...threads that the poster knows necro or repost, though they can't for the life of them find the original thread, and thus invite DLP to gently correct them: [IMGUR]x1MfqIg[/IMGUR] obsolete and floppy.
    • ...threads which vociferously and illogically discuss the 2nd Amendment: [IMGUR]E0i4KVA[/IMGUR] the one and only element therein that's to the point.
    • ...threads that rely on fringe news outlets, unverified sources or otherwise non-mainstream revelations: [IMGUR]8H7aCen[/IMGUR] perhaps not untrue but surely shy of truths
    • ...threads that are relevant to a game or gaming itself: [IMGUR]X5MD5b5[/IMGUR] Individual game icons? just a general 'take my money' favicon?
    • ...threads that are largely irrelevant, alarmist, subjective, unprofound and otherwise socially debilitant. Ergo; threads in which WalkingDisaster posts anything, at all. [IMGUR]pN4TSMn[/IMGUR] Gold star for effort?Or maybe some kind of cordon.

10. Jon

*Added Steam Icon
    *Added NSFW Icon
    *Added Academic Icon
    *Added Mafia Icon

11. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I really wanted that Gold Star Icon though...it works for so many threads.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Real life topics could have a globe icon.

Also, like that the Naruto one is red. It's like a big red warning sign, saying "Don't click on this thread!". Great utility.

13. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Unique Icons fro Video Games, Anime,Books. etc

14. Damask

Damask Seventh Year

ICON: [​IMG] or [​IMG] or [​IMG]
    Subject: Birthday Threads, if you decide that the frequency with which they get posted would warrant their own icon.

ICON: [​IMG]
    Subject: Meetups

15. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Considering there's only one thread where this topic should be discussed, this isn't necessary ;)

16. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

[IMGUR]wnKa8GB[/IMGUR] Music Themed Thread

Classic, yes. But also somehow very original. 'Originally Classic.' No - 'Classically Original.' Yes. Yeees...