1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Potter Who and the Wossname's Thingummy by ForrestUUID - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by KillerEggLord, Nov 21, 2012.

1. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

Title: Potter Who and the Wossname's Thingummy (HP/Dr Who)
    Author: ForrestUUID
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Humor/Mystery
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: None Yet (Dr. Who Crossover, so possibly none ever)
    Summary: No TARDIS, no screwdriver, and no memory - on the plus side, an owl and a wand! May or may not be AU. "It's all in the mind, you know."
    Link: FanFiction.Net

Didn't find anywhere in the library so thought I'd submit it.

The basic idea here is "What if Doctor Who (I think Ten, but might be Eleven), took over Harry's body and went to Hogwarts? Only he doesn't know who he is."

There may or may not be a plot in the background somewhere, only hints of it have shown up through the first nine chapters though.

The point of the story is funny Doctor Who antics though, several times I found myself laughing out loud reading this. Very Funny, IMO at least. If you thought the first couple of chapters of Methods of Rationality had some really funny bits but hated the way that story treated magic, then I think you'll really like this.

Dangers are that the Harry as Doctor Who joke might be getting old, and the story seems to be going no where fast, as the aforementioned tantalized plot is happening. 38,000 words and we've only reached the end of first week. Also the Doctor's talk can be (true to character) confusing.

Still I thought it was great fun. 4.5/5 for now. 4/5 if the plot finally disappears/retains glacial pace, 5/5 if a story develops to go with funny episodes.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Read the first chapter, and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's funny, but probably something I'll only check out if I remember to, rather than actively following. I won't rate for now.

Oh, and it's definitely Eleven.

Edit: read up to chapter 4. Still making me laugh on a regular basis, and pretty well written. There's been the suggestion of something that might become a plot, the writer gets Eleven brilliantly, but doesn't quite succeed with Dumbledore (twinkly humour, yes, everything else...no), and...yeah, that's about it. Still worth a read.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  3. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

I linked this to Lutris ages ago, but that fucker wouldn't tell me whether it was worth posting it for review.

If Rose "magically" comes back for no reason, I'm going to find this author, and spend ten chapters or so beating the shit out of him.

4. KingRoger

KingRoger Second Year

The author is too caught up in throwing in as many jokes as possible, much like methods of rationality, and it throws me off. The show allowed for plot to develop with fun happening in between, and this seems to got in the opposite direction. 2/5

5. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Not bad. Haven't read much, but I've been reading it with a smile on my face.

6. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I enjoyed it. Nice & absurd & didn't take itself very seriously.

7. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Its not horrible, the story just didn't click for me. I get that it is supposed to be absurd, I'm just not enjoying the absurdities. And I'm pretty annoyed that Harry was questioned under veritaserum just because he snuck out at night.

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I began by enjoying it, then I started HATING it. It succumbs to all the worst nonsense of Doctor Who episodes: winking, smugness, incomprehensible blather, awful characterization of side characters. Now I'm mixed... maybe I'll try rereading again later. But for now, it's a

2.5/5

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ok, so I finished everything that's there now. At the moment, I'd put it at 3.5/5, maybe rounded up to 4 if he/she ever actually focuses on an actual plot. I think 'The Potter' is written extremely well, just how I'd imagine the Eleventh Doctor's internal monologue going, and it's nice to read something in the fandom that makes magic magical. Most importantly, it's very funny.

That said, there's some moments that made me cringe - the 'Gryffindor hyphen Slytherin' thing, the whole thing with Myrtle (kinda sweet, I suppose, but still) - and I wouldn't be totally surprised to see this slide into the Doctor improving the magical world, or at least Hogwarts; just look at everything he's affected in about three days there! In addition, none of the secondary characters have particularly stood out; they're not written especially badly, they just fade into the background next to The Potter (to be fair, you can level that at least half the characters on Doctor Who, whether one episode guests or series long companions). Like I said earlier, his Dumbledore just doesn't feel right, although I've read worse.

Really, I think this is something that might have been better as a series of connected but individual one shots. With that, I'd probably be quite happy just having Doctor!Harry wander around Hogwarts being barmy. As it is, I'm expecting something to happen, and if it doesn't happen soon, I'll be marking it down.

10. Doctor Whooves

Read though it, and I like it. It doesn't have a plot so far - and it's pretty far in - but at least we might get a good, long story out of it. It doesn't hurt that the author is obviously a MLP fan.

11. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Amusing, but not overly so. I'd rather reserve judgement and see where it goes while the plot develops, if it does. At the moment, 3.5

12. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Funny, but it frequently tries far too hard to be absurd rather than letting it happen.

13. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It's strange, to say the least. Yes, there are funny lines and small or bigger jokes, amusement is there, but on the other hand it feels extremely stale so far, and if there's not going to be more of a plot there, I'm not sure that I'd want to read more.

So, 2.5 so far, that might get rounded down after a chapter or two.

14. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I'd definitely read more of it, and it has its really good moments, but it has potential to develop very poorly.

15. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Personally I liked it. There were some parts that dragged and some parts that were getting close to incomprehensible or trying too hard.

But then there were parts where the author hit the tone of Eleven so perfectly that everything else didn't matter.

However, the plot by itself isn't very interesting and I fear that the eventual reveal of WTF is going on will be something of a let down.

I vote 3/5. Right now it fits in the Recycling Bin. Maybe is some more chapters it'll make itself worth of Library proper.

16. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

This was nowhere near the quality of methods of rationality.
    This has no plot. No plot means no hook. The main character is all scattered in the brain. One minute he is talking about one thing, another minute he is on something else with no reasoning behind anything he does.

This gets a rating of Terrible from me.

17. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

So exactly like Methods, then?

...this story isn't terrible - but it isn't good either. There's too much randomness, and no plot (yet). 3/5

18. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Methods had a plot.
    No matter how far reaching Harry`s through process might be, the author had a reason. While perhaps you might say that it makes no sense for a 11 year old to be thinking about these things and that shows most wizards as idiots who never question anything, it did have a plot. Once you look past those issues, there is still other stuff left that I could enjoy.

Here, there was nothing in the story. I only watched the first episode of Doctor Who, so I might not have the background needed for the story. But even if I had seen them all, at most this would just reason away why Harry is like this in the fic. It still doesn't have a plot.

Its listed as humor, but it didnt even get a chuckle out of me.

19. Doctor Whooves

To be fair, the author does hint at a future plot at the end of one of his chapters. If you know your Doctor Who lore, which quite a lot of people won't, you'll recognise the throwaway 'Valeyard' reference.

20. KingRoger

KingRoger Second Year

But hinting at a future situation isn't the same as having a story line up to that point. The hint of thing happening sometime in the future doesn't excuse absolutely no plot until then, it just implies the author started writing and only just worked out what to do with it.