1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pottermore Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Another Empty Frame, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I only found out today about a site that went up recently, not sure what it implies exactly, encyclopedia?
    Or more real story? (not holding my breath for that though).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I wouldn't mind if it was prologue stuff, like first war action following around Moody as he kicks ass.

But I'll cry if I have to read more rushed Harry/Ginny

4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

You know I was thinking the other day that Harry Potter has some potential to have an extended universe like Star Wars. It wouldn't be as diverse as the Star Wars one since we are only dealing with a single race of people on one planet, but the HP universe is vague and interesting enough for extension imo. Unfortunately, JKR doesn't seem like the type to allow something like that.

5. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly I dream of something 7 novels long and marauder era, it'd show a different kind of story in the same world, and yeah the EU is nice, perhaps she'll allow it in her will or something lol, with Warhammer 40k I believe they allow fans to submit things to the "Black Library" and canonize the best submissions, even publishing them. That would be great if a couple expansive fics a year were canonized.

6. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

...I think we call that "fanfic".

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

No, we don't. Extended universe work is approved by the creator of the series and is considered actual canon within said fandom.

For example; George Lucas didn't create Knights of the Old Republic (thx Bioware), but Darth Revan is considered a real character in Star Wars canon. If I wrote a fanfiction with my own OC that character wouldn't be considered a canon character.

Edit: Good lord. The idea of fanfiction being considered canon is scary. Every male character would have stretched assholes :eek:

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Oh, that's so much better.

Bad fanfiction being considered canon.

I can barely contain my joy at the thought.

9. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

lol, there'd have to be a vetting process to ensure things don't get out of control. GL has final say on all material before it is published in SW. JKR should too, but I don't think I'd trust her to do a good job.

I didn't say it should be done. I said it has potential for an EU.

10. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I had similar thoughts.

Instead of closing up the HP universe JKR could license an anthology of AU or Canon-compliant stories, like Star Trek has with its Strange New World series (an annual collection of short stories set in the ST universe, written by amateur writers chosen through an open submissions process).

I know it ain't gonna happen, but still.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The Star Wars EU is pretty much FUBAR at this point. It's saddled with a ton of crap that everyone hates, but no one can ignore because it's canon. There's only so many times the Emperor can be resurrected as a clone before you start to call the whole thing a lost cause. Not to mention the wild inconsistencies in everything. Or the entire NJO. Or of course Kevin J Anderson, who basically built his career around raping SW canon.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad - Mara Jade is awesome, and I loved the Rogue Squadron books - but the vast majority of the EU really does amount to nothing more than bad fanfic, which should never, ever, under any circumstances, have been approved as canon.

If we could guarantee that JKR would only approve awesome authors who only write things we all love, sure, that would be cool. But you know that's not how it would go.

12. EthyleneGlycol

EthyleneGlycol Second Year

I am completely unsurprised that Rowling will most likely write another HP book. Even if it's terrible, hopefully it will revitalize the fandom and provide it with a some new blood.

13. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Yeah, it's hit or miss. I think Star Wars has hit more than miss (imo), but then you have a lot of fandoms get ruined by an EU. I've never read the series, but I've seen some people nerd rage (including a few prominent authors) over the Chronicles of Amber EU.

I love Warhammer 40k's EU. Not sure about anyone else.

Still, I'd love to see a good professional author write a series set in the HP universe at one of the other schools or about Grindelwald. /wishful thinking ._.

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I'd like to see something that sheds more light upon the more 'obscure' parts of the Harry Potter universe.

15. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

OMG OMG OMG /me fangirls. I am so thrilled by this. I really hope that it is an encyclopedia/place for JKR to post other snippets of canon lore. :awesome

16. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The reason that far and away the vast majority of 40K EU is high quality is that GW doesn't let just anyone write for them. The Black Library only accepts manuscripts from certain authors. Hell, they hold competitions where the prize is getting on the list of folk who are allowed to send them manuscripts. No guarantee of publication, just that they'll not burn it as soon as they get it.

On topic here though. I'm not surprised at her doing something more with the Universe. I am surprised at how soon it is. I'd have expected her to do something maybe a year or so after the release of the final film. Unless she's planning to use this new website thing to do a massive, long term publicity hype for whatever the project is. It would be her style to start advertising something long, long before it was released.

17. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Will is not just be Rowling's version of the Lexicon?

18. Qilin

Qilin Fourth Year

Sarah Palin's backyard, possibly with a shotgun.
    I like to see some information on the the more obscure parts as well. Of anything really.

I'm a bit surprised by the coming soon page though; if I had just stumbled across this page by accident, I would have believed it was just some teen girl's site or something.

19. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

I had the same reaction as Qilin. The colour of the background didn't convince me, but hey, it's official.

Learning about Post-DH and pre-Epilogue won't be that terrible. I, for one, want to learn about Luna and how the hell she hooked up with Rolf Scamander, eventually becoming a Magizoologist. It still pisses me that all the Ministry Six got some mention in the Epilogue... except Luna.

(unless she's Malfoy's "blond wife", not Astoria Greengrass. Holy mindscrew. I can hear the fanboys screaming bloody murder again.)

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm going to call this not being a comprehensive or crazily detailed encyclopedia of the kind that really hardcore fans desire. Rather, I bet it's going to be a bit like JKR's site: interactive, offering lots of small bits of teasing info and Easter Eggs like early dafts.

JKR isn't the type to do things in a comprehensive systematic way. She much prefers a more... ecclectic approach.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.