1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Power Ranger Plot Help

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Red Wizard, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Red Wizard

Red Wizard DA Member DLP Supporter

Hey guys,

I have begun developing the plot for my Power Rangers fic. The overall plot seems great, and I hope it will be DLP worthy. The problem is that I don't want to fall into the monster-of-the-week, or chapter, (haha) trap. My question is what you,as DLP members, would find more entertaining. The choice is between character development at school, because they are teenagers, or longer missions than simply destroying a monster that has the sole goal of mindless destruction. The character development will be necessary because the team will not be getting along at the beginning at all. So.....super long monster missions? or the way being a ranger affects their home lives? Hit me back

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Buddy, are you serious?

I'd advise against the effect of their secret identities on their life route. There isn't much unfamiliar territory left - excuses get made, grades suffer, personal relationships break down.

Super-long missions sound like the better option, though you're not necessarily giving an outpouring details.

3. Red Wizard

Lol dude don't be skeptical. I'm going to try to make it really gritty. I didn't want to give too much away. In this particular situation though they are not going to get along very well as a team. They're too different and I don't see how they were friends. Except maybe Kimberly and Jason. I agree after thinking about it though. Sending them on missions together and making them converse there will be the better option.

4. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

No offense dude, but I don't think I'm the only one skeptical about this.

Good Luck.

5. Red Wizard

It's cool I definitely understand lol. I think that is why I'm enjoying writing it so much.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Also, as a general rule, most readers don't care nearly as much about the out-of-costume life of heroes with secret identities. Batman is more interesting than Bruce Wayne, people would rather read about Superman than Clark Kent, etc.

7. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

See, instead of going through all this, you could just pick up a couple seasons of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. Better characters, better angst and a shit-load of metaphors.

Still, if you're serious about this, then don't go the home-life route. Because then your fic will be almost solely character based - and unless you're a godly writer, that'll be nearly impossible to manage.

If you go the monster route, you'll still have some sort of plot, and have character development through crisis - easier and far less of a hassle to pull off.

This is the difference between The Hobbit and The Wind in the Willows (little character development, mostly done through plot) and Lolita (where characterization is the main point of the story, and the plot follows it).

I'm sure others can give a far better example than this.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think that if you're going to do a Power Rangers story based in the old Mighty Morphin' series--and one that appeals to DLP's standards, at that--there's only one option: enhanced remake.

Completely redesign the Power Rangers. Lose the goofy kiddy shit, like the monster-of-the-week thing, and get rid of the 80's and 90's stereotypes. Make it... grittier. Darker. Not, you know, GRIMDARK Frank Miller kind of gritty, or that really fucking disturbing Pink Ranger torture story that's out there, but a bit more... realistic.

I'd read something like that if it's done right. Hell, maybe I'll write something like that at some point, if you don't want to do it. I have a few ideas on how that would go.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wut?

If I believed in hell I'd probably be going there anyway, so I'm gonna ask for a link.

10. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This is perfect timing, because I've been looking for decent power rangers fics lately. Blame nostalgia. This is the best one I've found in the MMPR verse:

A Darker Shade of Green

It's a far darker, much grittier reboot of the Green with Evil saga, which is IMO the best original Power Rangers arc in the entire series. Maybe it's because I've always been a green ranger fan. But read that. It should be a good example of what I think Sion's talking about.

And Aekiel: I don't think you really want to know. If wikipedia is correct, it's the reason that FF.net started deleting NC-17 stories.

11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Then the fic is historical and on that grounds...

Found it.

I haven't read it yet, but from the description I will say this: NSFW

http://www.asstr.org/files/Collections/Old_Joe's_Collection/Serials/Agony%20in%20Pink%20-%20Special%20Edition.txt

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

13. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I saw that before, while it might be pretty bad compared to FF.net, it's actually fairly tame for something that came from ASSTR.