1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

POWER_DRIVE_STATE_FAILURE

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hawkin, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

All right. I'm going to try my luck here. I've been having this issue for almost a year now. Basically, there's 2 problems that I can identify.

The first one is that my CPU goes crazy and is 100% usage (task manager) even if I have nothing else but the task manager open. It happens randomly from time to time, I just get a huge CPU usage and the computer is basically unusable until I restart it.

The second one is upon closing/opening the lid. If I close the lid (and put the laptop on sleep), when I come back and open it up again, the computer freezes for a moment (I still can move my mouse though - everything else is frozen). Following that freeze (which can last from 30 sec to 5 min), I get a blue screen which states: POWER_DRIVE_STATE_FAILURE. The computer restart and then, normally everything is good. Sometimes, the restart takes longer than usual following that problem. And it tends to forget settings (language of keyboard, bookmarks, etc.) that I made before it crashed.

I posted on microsoft forums and apparently it was the intel HD card driver which were posing a problem. The tech suggested I do a clean reinstall of windows (it started in 8.0). I did and it fixed the problem for like 1-2 days. Then, it started again. That was a couple of months ago. Recently, I reinstalled the 8.1 Windows, and it worked fine until I installed Skype for desktop. As soon as that software touched my computer, it started going haywire again and I'm back to square one.

I'm going to install windows 10 tonight, but it's not going to be a clean install, so I don't know how good that will do.

Anyone can help with that? I'm kind of sick of this shit seriously.

2. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Your BSOD is caused by a faulty driver. According to you it was the intel HD card driver, right?

Try starting Windows in safe mode, and uninstall the driver and reinstall a stable version.

Ah and maybe it's Windows Update that inadvertantly updated your driver the last time you did a clean reinstall, which meant that the problematic driver is likely the newest one.

As for the high CPU usage, do you know what process causes it?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'll try that. I've just update to Win10 and so far things are looking good. I haven't tried to restart the computer yet.

It varies between Steam, Firefox, Avast or System.