1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Probellum and his Quest - What do? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Probellum, Sep 2, 2014.

?

Which Quest do you want me tostart

Poll closed Sep 7, 2014.
  1. Gryffins And Dragons Young Griff/Aegon (DAO/ASOIAF)

1.6%
  2. Of Snow and Stars - Jon Snow (ASOIAF

14.3%
  3. A Gallant Tale - Jiraiya (Naruto)

7.9%
  4. The Black Prince - Lelouch (Code Geass)

17.5%
  5. Wizardry and Witchcraft - Harry Potter (HP)

55.6%
  6. Gray Morality - Gray Fullbuster (Fairy Tail)

3.2%
  1. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

So, basically, I've got way too many goddamn ideas for Quests. I know I started off with the the ASOIAF (OF Snow and Stars) one, and it's still really tempting, but there are others that also tempt me. And I'll be honest, the ASOIAF books are fighting me like a mother fucker. I've barely gotten 50 pages into book 2.

So, I'm putting up a poll, for which Quest I should start off with. Note: Even if the ASOIAF one doesn't win, I will get to it eventually, once I'm more expereinced and can handle doing two Quests at once. Or if the first one dies. Either/or.

So, Options!

A Song of Gryffins and Dragons - DAO/ASOIAF Quest
    In the same vein as Dragon of the North, a character is a reincarnation of a hero from a different universe. That hero is The Warden, from Dragon Age. Originally, I was going to go with Jon Snow, but then realized there was a better character to go for: Young Griff. This Quest would assume that Aegon is NOT a fake, and you'd start off choosing between 4 or 5 different Wardens that reincarnated into him.

Pros: Young Griff is a pretty unused character. it might be interesting, not to mention you'd start off in Essos. While taking the Iron Throne is a large likelihood here, it's not something you have to do. Young Griff might chaff under being told it shall be his one day, when really, all he wants is to go have adventures, or something.

Cons: You'd have to wait for me to read through all of the ASOIAF books, and I have no idea how long that'd take. Probably until around the end of year, at least.

Of Snow And Stars - ASOIAF Quest
    Jon Snow is the bastard son of Eddard Stark and Ashara Dayne. He was born with purple eyes, the same shade as his mother's. A Small thing, but it would lead to a great change. On a surprise visit to Winterfell, King Robert brings Barristan Selmy with him, and events conspire that land the young boy in a Squireship under Barristan the Bold. Where things go from there is up to you.

Pros: My original idea, and I'm enthusiastic about it. I've also already done a bit of work on the start and thought about how I'd go about. Also, Hash already has a good system laid out, that he said I could use. There's also the fact that, hey, it's Jon Snow, squiring for Barristan The Badass. There are so many ways you could take this with your choices, and I have a few ideas to help spice things up right from the beginning.

Cons:
    The amount of time it'd take me to get set up. Also, as this would be my first Quest, there's a good likelihood I might screw somethings up, and quite honestly, the thought of that annoys me, because I'm so enthusiastic about this one. For this one, I'd probably only read the first three books, and continue reading as I GM this, and that will probably lead a to a couple derps on the some worldbuilding somewhere.

On the plus, as i said earlier, I'll get to this one eventually. If it's put off until I have more experience with GMing a Quest, then the Quest itself will be a lot better and I'd probably know the word fairly well by the time we get to it.

A Gallant Tale - Naruto Quest
    Jiraiya was an orphan in the Great Ninja Village of Konoha and he really had just one dream. Become a ninja. And maybe break that bastard Orochimaru's nose along the way. You'd start off right after passing the graduation exam, and would continue from. Most everything that'd happen from here on is up to you and would mostly be original work from me.

Pros: The freedom for originality. We know next to nothing about this time period in Naruto, and that'd give me and you a lot of space to work with. There'd also be no word ending crisis on the loom that you'd have to wprry about. You could immerse yourself just into the world of a Ninja as it should be - Hard, fast, with lots of bloodshed and tears, with war going on all around you and not knowing if you're gonna survive another day. Sounds great, doesn't it?

Cons: The originality would take quite a bit of work, meaning there might be periods of lag in updates, where I'm working on the next arc or something. Otherwise, no cons that I can really think of.

The Black Prince - Code Geass Quest
    Lelouch was really starting to hate his family. Not to mention the whole of Britannia. Really, the whole "Starting a war with the people we we're hostages of," just made things worse. You'd start off as Lelouch, just after he and Nunnaly were exiled to Japan. There'd probably be 4-5 five updates until the war starts, where you can choose what you do with your time there. After that, you'll be trying to survive through a warzone and then a timeskip to 7 years later. Your goal would be revenge, but there is a multitude of ways to go about it.

Pros: Code Geass seems underused and under appreciated, so something new might garner a bit of interest. There's also a lot of freedom in the way we could take this, since I'm starting you off so young. Maybe you go in hiding and start plotting on how to take your family down? Maybe you reveal yourself as alive, and brave the den of vipers that is the Royal Court, so as to take it down from within? Also probably tied at second for the Quests I'm most enthusiastic about.

Cons: Honestly can't think of any. Except maybe that depending on how things go, you might miss out on seeing some characters? (I.e. No guarantee you'll meet C.C. and get Geass) Oh wait, I'd also have to work on a system to use, for the Quest. That kind of goes for all of these non ASOIAF ones, really.

Wizardry And Witchcraft - Harry Potter Quest
    No weird twists here, you start off as Harry Potter just after he got his letter. Maybe a couple starting updates where you choose how you spent your time at the Dursely's. After that, it's all up you guys how you want to go about things.

Pros: The other Quest tied at second place that I'm enthusiastic about. It's Harry Potter, so there'll probably be a bit more interest here on DLP for this. The setting allows for a lot of divergence, but keeps things fairly contained, so I wouldn't have to do much work on the more unknown side of things.

Cons: Again, System would need to be made. Luckily, I could probably just modify the one I'm using for my Harry Potter in A Videogame fic. Uhh, nothing else I can think off.

Gray Morality - Fairy Tail Quest
    You'd play as Gray Fullbuster, just after the attack on his home town and he'd found Ur. First few updates would probably deal with your training. May be possible to get Ur to introduce you a friend of hers who will teach you a different magic then Ice Make, though you'll only be able to learn one magic. (Well, you'd also have really low level Ice Make, too, but you wouldn't know much beyond simple stuff) You'd still stay with Ur, until she dies, anyway. Then, the real story would begin and we'd have a timeskip to you joining Fairy Tail (Or another guild?) and from there things would go by quickly until you're like 13 or 14.

Pros: Lots of room for original crap, once you get to Fairy Tail. Settings, enemies, magic, the whole shebang. Fairy tail is a pretty loose setting, and you can do a lot. Your goals would also be fairly flexible.

Cons: The Fairy tail setting is really loose, and that means it's mechanics are kind of vague. I've done some work and tried to figure things out and give an explanation for how magic works in the setting in another fic of mine, so I wouldn't be starting from scratch. But there might be instance where an update is delayed while I work things out. I'd also need a system for the magic and other things. Also, the beginning is fairly confined, as Gray's past is really vague after Ur dies, but now we have that new manga that tells us his backstory and will honestly be ignored.

So yea, i'm doing on of these. Some might take longer to get started, some might die out quicker than I thought, but hey, it'll give me experience and the next one will go better, right?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. MyrzaelHanzo

MyrzaelHanzo First Year

Hard question, I would like to see you start with Of Snow and Stars but if you plan on starting it eventually, maybe it would be better to start with other quest to deal with problems that could arise as this would be your first attempt at QMing and to gain some experience.

3. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Well, thing is, I'm not opposed to starting off with Of Snow And Stars. I'm quite enthused about the idea, and eager to get to it. But part of me also wants to make sure it's the best Quest I can make it, and that would require a bit more experience. So I decided to leave it up to you guys.

Though i do hope everyone remembers that both of the ASOIAF quests will take a few months to actually start up. I have no idea how long rereading the books will take me. The others i could start a couple days after the poll ends.

---------- Post automerged at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Oh, and feel free to discuss and try to convince others as to go with one quest or another. Traditional like.

Basically, feel free to start raving at eachother about how your opinion is the right one so as to sway people.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Go HP or go home.

5. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

CODE GEASS QUEST. YES.

*cough* Always wanted one of those.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Wisdom.

#HarryPotter2014

7. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Heh. So far, seems like HP and OSAS have been in the lead, with Code Geass in third. No love for Young Griff though, lol.

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Consider using the FATE system used in Dresden Files RPG, for running Code Geass. It give players abilities to interact with the story and the world not only by dice rolls, but also by allowing them modification to situations by means of spending Fate Points. It also gives the GM means of screwing with players by compleing their aspects so something harmufl may happen to the player but he will get a new, shiny Fate Point, which can be used later.

I used this system in my own Code Geass Quest - well, to be precise, it's still a demo, and the players have just recieveds their geass. And it was an expensive one, so they went down from their starting refresh of 10 (which also equalls to the ammount of Fate Points aviable), to 4. Soon, they will be scraping the bottom and will accept a lot of possible compels from me.

Another system you could use, is BRP found in Call of Cthulhu. Simple, easy to master, hilariosuly funny when players mess their rolls, deadly as hell (PCs are walking meat sacks and healling takes shitload of in-game time). It also has easy-to-use sanity system which can be suplemented for one used in Trail of Cthulhu (divides sanity into two separate skills - sanity [i.e. the ability to not see the true face of the world] and stability [the ability to not give a fuck and reamin cool and collected])

9. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Eh, I'm not all that familiar with FATE. It'd honestly be easier to just create something from scratch. I've done it before, I can do it again. Plus, using a pre-existing system, you might run into problems or some clunkiness. Making a custom system for the specific fandom cuts out most of those possibilities.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As neat as ASOIAF is, I'd enjoy seeing a different fandom quest. With how new questing is to this board, I think I'd just prefer to see variety.

11. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Code Geass. The fandom sorely needs this quest PB.

12. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

What's Code Geass about?
    Googling it now.

Edit: huh, sounds interesting but I think HP Quest is going to win here.

13. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I'll let the poll continue for a couple more days, but it looks like HP is gonna win.

Eventually, once I've gotten comfortable with GMing, I'll probably start up Of Snow and Stars. If something conspires to kill either one of these Quests, or they finish, I'll start up the Code Geass one. I can't imagine myself being able to handle 3 Quests at the same time, not without working out a schedule that'd have delays for all of them.

---------- Post automerged 09-03-2014 at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-02-2014 at 04:11 PM ----------

Poll ends at midnight. I'll start making the system tomorrow, do a little planning and hopefully we'll be ready to go by saturday.

14. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Good, this might free me of a crazy craving to run a HP quest myself.

15. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

Voted for the HP quest. Really curious to see what direction DLP would take in an open-ended RPG setting.

16. MyrzaelHanzo

MyrzaelHanzo First Year

Do you even have to ask ?

17. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

I foresee much bitching about the particulars of how magic works...that should probably be decided while the system is being made.

On the bright side, there are things like Taure's Canon Plus, the more recent discussion on magical theory prompted by Pottermore, and the threads on Diagon Alley and common potions available for use - and that's just what I remember off the top of my head.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  18. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

The Harry Potter option is the one that I find most interesting. While I love the idea of "Of Snow and Stars," I would want to see you do it justice. Also, it's Harry Potter. I've wanted to see something like this for a while.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'd like to think that DLP is more than just a one trick pony.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with a good Dark Lord Potter story. ;)

20. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Gray Morality due to the amount of variety it can bring. The HP one could be interesting if we mess around with magic and focus on what happens in the day to day of the students but most likely will end following canon or try a fix it story. The Gallant tale promises a very slow update rate and I don't think questers can make justice to Lelouch personality and plans unless you guide them by hand. The Jon Snow one sounds interesting but there are a lot of SOFAI quests and you said you wanted to make it anyways. And unless he is a mage, I don't see young griff's reincarnation status making that much of a difference unless he brought the Archdemon with him when both souls failed to be destroyed by the killing blow.