1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Use of Beige Prose

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Deadsomeone, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

I've been wondering how to actually use beige prose in a story for the point of view of an Old-War-Scarred-Badass. It's supposed to sort of portray his disconnection from the world around him, and the fact that he's seen it all, but I can't quite seem to make it work. I want to make something like this:

I pushed open the steel door and walked in with Micheals on my heel.

The room looked old and dirty, the beige paint on the walls peeling. The walls behind it were concrete. The entire place smelled like lye and blood.

A head, and parts of its torso lay in the middle of the room. Small stumps showing where the limbs once where.

Micheals made a groaning sound in the back of his throat at the sight of it. It seems my partner hadn't seen a torture-murder before.

But any attempts to write like this either end up sounding boring and stilted, reading like a list, or just not working. Does anyone have advice on this?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Only thing I can think of to tell you is to go to the TVTropes page for Beige Prose and check out everything listed under "examples" and see if there's anything you can read for ideas or to see if anyone of them "do it right" or "do it similar to how you want to do it."

It lists the X-wing series as an example. From what I recall they were pretty popular, so that might be one to look at. Also mentions Goosebumps and Hunger Games (or parts of them).

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

First: Beige Prose is a retarded name. Second: It's got nothing to do with "Beige Prose", it's got to do with your writing skills in general. Offhand:

... The steel door was in front of me, Michaels at my back. I pushed it open. The room beyond looked old and dirty, beige paint on the walls, partly stripped. It was bare. Concrete. Smelling like lye and blood. The kind you never want to enter, and the one I'd entered far too often. Behind me, Michaels made a groaning sound.

The reason for it was in front of me; a head, neatly severed; parts of the torso. Seemed like my partner's first encounter with a torture-murder. ...​

I can't explicitly tell you where and how to use it, because I never thought about it -- I write what feels right, and usually, what feels right, works. So my best advice is to develop that feel, typically by reading lots and writing more.

Or wait for someone else to come up with a hard and fast guide, but I doubt there's something like that.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hemingway is well known for this type of writing and I've always enjoyed his books. I'd suggest reading some to get a feel for how it's supposed to be done.

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It depends on what you read of his. Old Man and the Sea and The Sun Also Rises, definitely. Some of his other work, not so much. In fact, Hemingway has published several of the longest, most complex sentences in the English language. A master stylist, he was fully capable of cumulative syntax when the situation warranted.

A case in point:

6. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Wait, is that a stream-of-consciousness sentence about a stream?

-mind blown-