1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Punishment in the Wizarding World

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by wordhammer, Jan 28, 2016.

1. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Here's the scenario: you have an underage wizard who breaks the rules so bad that they snap his wand... now what?

Assuming we're not talking about the main character, what would you expect to happen? What would the Wizarding World expect?

I mean, if it's a muggleborn they'd probably be sent home with a dismissal and a warning that any further evidence of magic will be punished, but how? If it's a pureblood... is there a remedial citizenship course or something that could grant them the right to use a wand again, or will they simply be banging around the ancestral row-house with nothing to do with their lives for the next 80-160 years?

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, Hagrid had his wand snapped and he just stuck around Hogwarts for the rest of his life. He wasn't legally allowed to use his wand though, despite it being snapped in the 1940s and him being friends with Dumbledore.

Presumably the wandless are left to make do, same as squibs are.

3. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Right- that's as far as canon takes it, but aside from a threatening look from Ollivander, Hagrid is able to continue casting spells and even teaching classes. Are such instances so rare that anyone would know if a particular wizard isn't supposed to be using wands? What's the responsibility of the average citizen to turn them in?

Admittedly, repeated stays in Azkaban might motivate a troublemaker to behave... or at least get better at being sneaky with their illegal wand-use, but if the point of educating young wizards is to get their use of magic under control, booting a half-trained wizard doesn't exactly serve the interests of sustaining the Statute of Secrecy.

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Before anyone suggests that those expelled from Hogwarts should just go to a different country and get a wand there, I would like to point out that this is probably not possible.

For one, being expelled is treated in canon as something terrible and final.

Also, if it was that simple, Hagrid would have just moved to France and gotten a wand there.

Its likely that wizarding governments and schools around the world are cooperating when someone is expelled.

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm quite sure Hagrid could have gotten a wand from another country; it all depends on the country's relations with the British Ministry of Magic. I'm assuming a country like France would condemned Hagrid for illegal wand possession if they found him with a wand because of their close ties with the british, but perhaps something like Brazil wouldn't give a fuck.

As for the question itself, I think having your wand snapped is basically being cast off. Hagrid managed to stay and work within the wizarding world because of Dumbledore who believed in his innocence, but I am pretty sure that others would be left to fend for themselves and would be seen as an outcast by the rest of the community - more than squib considering that it's not even their fault if they can't do magic, the guy who got his wand snapped...that was his fault.

It makes me think of "Forging the Sword" where Harry and Ron have an argument about forcing Unbreakable Vow upon every wizard to never harm another. I see it a bit in the same light.

6. Starscion

Starscion First Year

I imagine it would be very much like being a squib. Either you find employment doing something that doesn't require magic for someone non-discriminatory or get a job in the muggle world.

7. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I also remember Hagrid's concern over people finding out he used magic. So there's more to it than "You're wand's broken. See you around."

It seems from the limited evidence that wand-snapping is short-hand for a legal conclusion: the person is no longer allowed to perform magic. In a magical society, that's tantamount to implicit banishment. The person could no longer get into Diagon Alley unless someone allowed them to floo directly into their store. They'd also be dependent on either Muggle means of travel or Portkeys (or the odd animal/flying bike), which are controlled by the Ministry (hence, Fudge's outburst at the end of OotP). All of that would make it harder to get around and be a part of magical society.

Then again, Hagrid had no problem. But IMO, that's either a plothole or it can be handwaived as Dumbledore taking care of issues/Hagrid cheating with his wand in his umbrella.

8. ashland

ashland Second Year

High Score:
    If a pureblood is expelled I'd imagine they would grab a wand from a deceased family member. Before anyone starts talking about fanon, Ron was walking around using Charlie's old wand. If the wand chooses the wizard why would Charlie give Ron a wand that chose him? I believe the unicorn hair was sticking out, so that wand had to be really old as I doubt Charlie could do that in 7 years.

Also Grindelwald was expelled, but he had a wand before grabbing the Elder Wand. So, snapping a wand could just be a Hogwarts thing and other countries don't care or aunt Bathilda had one waiting for him. Then again, he could have just taken it from some poor, unsuspecting soul.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Weasleys were poor so there's a large chance that they couldn't get the wands they needed when each of them first attended Hogwarts. That's why Ron is generally better at magic after second year, because he's using a wand that actually suits him rather than being his brother's old one.

I find it pretty likely that when each of the Weasleys could afford it by themselves that they'd have invested in a proper wand.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Just by reading the listed pairings on most stories, I'm guessing most punishment in the Wizarding World involves an asshole.

Interpret that as you will.

The whole lose your wand and never learn magic thing seems like a ridiculously harsh punishment, because your choices are either go full muggle or learn to love your parents' basement. Then again, the law is meant to prevent their society from being exposed to an overwhelmingly large population of potentially scared, xenophobic, and violent outsiders.

It would sort of be a shame to have everyone's world fall apart because some little shit couldn't keep a lid on the wand-waving.

11. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

It is possible that the Ministry may offer a deal to the rule breaker such as an job within the DMLE in exchange for them getting their wand rights back like a 8 year contract or something along those lines.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hagrid is our primary canon example, and I'm not sure he's representative of how things would normally work. I have a feeling that his status as a half-giant worked against him because of prejudice.

I have no idea about canon, because we don't really know enough to fully speculate. Grindelwald was expelled but had no trouble continuing to cast magic, but we don't know if that's because his wand wasn't snapped or if he just picked up another one. Harry was threatened with having his snapped, but politics were involved. Wizards like Ron are seen casually using family member's wands. Etc.

But headcanon? Hrm. I like the idea that snapping a wizard's wand is a very personal sort of punishment. It might be combined with something such as expulsion or a stay in Azkaban, but in my head I like the idea that the wizard in question could pick up a new wand and then finish basic instruction. But they'd never get their old wand back, and that might have some kind of lasting consequence. Like no other wand ever feels quite right after you've already been bound to one, etc.

In Hagrid's case, I like the idea that he could have found a way to finish his training as a wizard and legally used magic, but he was hindered by his half-breed status and his desire to not leave Hogwarts. So instead of seeking out other (difficult) options he chose to take the job Dumbledore offered, and without ever completing his education he was never qualified to use magic.

But that's all my headcanon. /shrug.

13. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreeing with Space Cheese; Hagrid really isn't a good example of what would happen once you're expelled. Hagrid was both a giant, not particularly financially well off (I would assume) and he managed to immediately get a job he liked. Quite likely he simply couldn't go to a school in another country, either because he could afford it, was part giant or didn't have a massively pressing need to do so.

I would suspect for muggleborns getting your wand snapped would be the end of it. I would guess they'll take everything else magical from you and force you to live a muggle, and maybe even take your memories for it. They probably don't have access to what they need to transfer schools after that.

I would be curious if they have wand snapping for other criminal offences or if it just applies to children. It's pretty damn harsh if it only applied to kids.

14. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Doubly so as the punishment only applies to children under 16; older students have their OWL's and are not threatened with losing their wands (or is this wrong? Fred and George seem to be fine after leaving Hogwarts). Anyway, we know Bellatrix's wand wasn't snapped when she was sent to Azkaban, and if there's anyone deserving harshest punishment it's her.

All in all the punishment seems like it's very much tailored to Harry's situation: a kid who hates his home and would do anything to get away from his relatives.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I always found the whole thing of snapping one's wand after expelling them to be weird. It's not like Hogwarts is the only school of magic in the world, and you're going to switch to another one once you're expelled from there. It's not like the school or the Ministry provided you with the wand so now they're taking it away from you.

And as people noted, apparently Bellatrix didn't get her wand snapped when she got sent to Azkaban.

Doesn't make much sense.

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I dunno. Isn't it really straight forward? Hagrid could do some magic because he had kept the pieces of his wand. So someone did a shoddy job there: Presumably, you're not supposed to have them.

So let's say, they snap your wand and vanish the pieces. And that's it. Hogwarts or any other school is out, simply because he has no wand. The offender would then have to live as squibs do, or alternatively get an illegal wand and perform magic illegally -- for which I presume there's a nice stay in Azkaban waiting if he gets caught.

I mean, that's what seems obvious. Was there a problem with that, which you were getting at, wordhammer?

17. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or they go and buy a new wand...

Azkaban doesn't exactly apply if you aren't in the UK.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

That doesn't even make sense o_O

Yes, you probably could leave all your friends and family behind, move somewhere to South America, build a hut in jungle and congratulate yourself to being so clever as to run away from everyone but hey, you at least you can still use magic.

I was assuming that's so obviously ridiculous we discarded the option. You can also do the same thing right now yourself: Kill someone, run away, and hide somewhere where no one can find you. How does this relate to the question at all?

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Sesc, they think Hagrid could have just went to France and attend Beuxbatons after buying a wand in the French equivalent of Diagon Alley.

I personally find that not possible, but they think it is.

20. James

James Unspeakable

We're also talking about half-giant as our primary source of information. I'm not exactly sure, but is it fanon that half-giants are immune to obliviation? Because if it isn't, then you have another option—for muggleborns, at least. Wand snapping + obliviation of magic.

Additionally the wand pieces might have stayed with Hagrid only because DD intervened.