1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Fandoms - What's worth getting into?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Alindrome, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hey! I don't believe we've had a thread like this for at least a few years now, and the fanfiction landscape is bound to have changed a bit since then.

The key question here: Which fandoms are worth diving into, or at least worth familiarising yourself with purely to get access to good fics?

For example, have you ever given any series a shot purely so that you can access the massive wealth of fanfiction behind it? That was the sole driving reason I read Naruto - there was such a great quantity of fics that the top tier stuff was worth the slog through the long-running series. Also tried that with Inuyasha and bloody hated the series and the fanfiction, come to think of it...

Or, in the same vein: which fandoms are unusually high quality compared to their size?

A few spring to mind for me: Hikaru No Go, (an anime about the ancient Chinese equivalent of Chess, of all things), has a lot of pretty solid fics written by a bare handful of authors. Dresden Files probably fits under this category too, since DLP as a collective has a boner for it and we write some damn good fics.

So really, what would you recommend? What gems are other people missing out on by not being in on the fandom?

2. Anumidium

Anumidium Second Year

The sole reason I started Worm was to read the massive amount of fanfiction written on SpaceBattles.

It's also worth getting into The Elder Scrolls fandom just to read Dragon from Ash, the only TES fic to date that I actually think is good:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11181393/1/Dragon-from-Ash

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I was never really into Star Wars that much, but there’s some pretty good fics in the verse (as well as a bunch of hp crossovers obviously). The nice thing here is that you wouldn’t need to do much to /get into/ the fandom. Most everyone’s picked up enough Star Wars lore from popculture to be able to just dive right into the good fics.

Extraordinary Times on its own is enough reason to get into the X-men fandom.

I’ve also read two or three surprisingly good fics in the Castle fandom?

Edit: How could I have forgotten about Pokémon!? There’s the whole grimdark thing and all. Some good stuff there.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dragon Age (Origins era, not 2 or Inquisition) and Fate/Stay Night come to mind. Well, Fate is a personal favorite of mine, but the fandom should still be a few steps above the mainstream garbage, despite how popular it's become. I also second Hikaru no Go, I actually have a few fics favorited... that anime is worth a watch. Love Hina, perhaps? It's old though, I'm not sure how well the fics there have aged.

Pretty much all of the big names are too full of garbage. A personal annoyance of mine is Code Geass - fics just can't catch the dramatic flair the anime had, and always and up dry and lacking.

5. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

ASoIaF/GoT is the only other major fandom that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Recently I started reading How to Train your Dragon fics. There are a handful of high quality stories at the entrance fee of one two-hour movie.

6. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Some fictional universes really do seem to lend themselves to fanfiction better than others, despite the original materials quality.

I've read far more Stargate fanfiction than I ever watched the the series which for ts charms is pretty damn cheesy. Aside from Gods Blood though there are a number of excellent fanfictions written in the 'verse that only require a passing knowledge of the series, and its various spinoffs. I enjoyed them despite only watching the first couple of seasons.

Inuyasha was something I watched as a teen, I would be hard pressed to recommend it these days though there are a number of top-tire fics written in that 'verse, almost inevitably they are romantic based though. RosieB's Beside You in Time is an amazing piece of historical based writing that is completely worth reading for anyone with even a passing familiarity with the show.

The Avatar universe has some amazing stories written within it and as a bonus both series are worth watching on their own merits. If you can stomach a Katara/Zuko pairing sharkflip's AU Enslaved is an excellent and a total (and I really mean total) subversion of both its title and summary.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer has some extremely good stories written within it as well as a wealth of crossovers, (if Twising the Hellmouth is still alive and kicking). Basically most of what I know abaout the later seasons comes purely from reading fanfiction.

Highlander lends its self incredibly well to crossovers for obvious reasons. The 80's show it awesome on a number of levels and I massively enjoyed watching it when I was younger though the final season jumps the shark more than a little.

7. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

I have recently been planning to read GOT just to get the many fics that have spawned from it myself. I have never been a 'kill your characters' reader though and that has held me back so far.

Sorrows: can you give some suggestions on those Stargate fics. I enjoy the universe on the 2 or 3 fics I have read though I never watched the show personally.

I would say the Dungeons and Dragons fandom is pretty good to get in to. It takes no real investment to just hop into some fics and enjoy. Plus between the games and the novels, there are a decent number of fics scattered throughout FFN.

8. fire

fire Order Member

Dragon Age Origins was the fucking best. The others though... I pretend they don't exist.

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

@Dresden11 Its been a good long while since I was into Stargate fanfiction so I can vouch for my memory of quality.

The Dragon Kings Temple Was a fun stargate/avatar crossover where Zuko and Toph end up at SG Command. The author really goes deep on melding the two universes complete with SG explanations for their bending abilities. Though the end really irritated me, its complete, but damn just one more chapter...

Thats the only one on my fav list, not sure where the others I read went.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    As far as I can tell, all fandoms have a more or less similar ratio of shit to quality. The bigger the fandom, the higher the amount of decent fics, even if the percentage hasn't changed. On large fandoms, good fics can be found, even if the source material is shit. Conversely, even if the source material is good (or at least, well-suited to FF) if it hasn't kicked off it's likely that there will be few to none good fics.

As a general rule, it's worth it to at least try to check out the source material of huge fandoms. You might not always be able to watch/read/play the whole thing, but it's worth a shot to gain access to the fics.

Alternative, just use fics to get an idea of what the source is like. Between canon-rehashes and fics that assume the reader hasn't experienced the source material, you can get a pretty good idea of what canon was like. If it sounds good, you can check it out after.

11. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Rosario+Vampire. This franchise is a boring and unfunny sex-comedy that tries to become a fighting show at some point. It has two stories worth reading: He Who Fights Monsters and Big Human on Campus. I don't think you need a lot of exposure to the series to enjoy either story, but the more you know, the more enjoyable both fics are. The first is a deconstruction of the original work that takes the classic Nietzsche quote ("He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.") and runs with it . Lamora said it best:

The second is a straight up comedy that pokes as much as possible at the original work. It's also a crossover with Ranma 1/2. It's an absolute riot; the author has pitch perfect comedic timing. This is one of those fics that I go back to every couple of years and re-read.

12. fire

fire Order Member

Imo you don't need to watch Rosario to read He Who Fights Monsters. The fic just that good - skim the wiki summary of Rosario and you're good to go.

13. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I agree with both of you. He Who Fights Monsters is on my yearly reread list, and each time it gets me. If you changed the names a little and played with the story line a bit it could easily be a standalone book.

14. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've found a decent few in the Legend of Zelda fandom, which is small but active due to the nature of the series.

Another worthwhile mention is the Japanese light novel adaption fandoms, especially for crossovers. Although they're dross on their own the worlds are often fascinating and fertile ground for fanfiction. On the rare occasion when writers tear themselves away from harem nonsense to focus on plot. DanMachi, Highschool DxD, etc. Utter shite to began with, but a decent writer can pare back the puberty to showcase the best parts: humans used as pawns in the war between fallen angels and devils after the death of god? Dungeons 'n' Dragons esque rpg mechanics combined with the conflict between mafia families headed up by gods? Fantastic settings for fanfiction with a billion possible points of divergence.

15. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Dragon from Ash is a full retelling and you actually only benefit from knowing the franchise if you go deeper into the lore including an extra-game stuff.

16. Xarlor

Xarlor Second Year

@CareOtters care to share a few recs for Legend of Zelda or the rare good lightning novel fanfiction? Even if I search not the library, but by tag, I am not finding that much.

17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You can always get into the SCP Foundation.

Not only you'll get literally thousands of stories, but there's a Project Crossover hub on the site which crosses the SCP Foundation with other works of fiction.

It's definitely worth getting into.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Miraculous Ladybug had a surprisingly high quality library from what I could tell.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read through the various 'canons' as well. They take the SCP universe and fit it into various stories. My favourite one is where Cold War America tries to turn the Foundation towards warfare, which they refuse and are thus exiled from the Western/Soviet worlds. Entities are then used for nationalistic purposes, for better or worse (hint: it's mostly worse).

20. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

The Ranma 1/2 fandom has loads of great fics, it's also pretty easy to crossover due to the setting and the nature of the Ranma plot.