1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Tesla

Tesla Auror

Basically every Naruto fic I've followed that's good updates very irregularly - and that's if it's updated at all. But there are a couple readable ones that have updated this year:

White Rain» by Zapenstap reviews
    A woman arrives in Konoha… with children she claims are Itachi's. Sasuke struggles with suspicion and throws Sakura into turmoil. As Hokage, Naruto must decide the future of the village. OCs! developed. Read the reviews...

Alright, so there are a few things in this that I, well, kinda hate. Angsty Sasuke. Sasuke/Sasuke. Plentiful OCs. Real world integrated with Narutoverse (though the real world fucks off after a strange start). A definite appreciaton for Uchihas on the author's part. But these are desperate times, and it's actually well written. It really is. If you can get past the premise (and the bizarre first chapter) then it's enjoyable. Plus there is good action in it. Oh, and the main character OC is pretty good I think (and Konoha doesn't really welcome the family with open arms, thankfully)​

Naruto Genkyouien» by Daneel Rush reviews
    The nine-tailed demon fox. Its mighty tails can crumble mountains, cause tsunamis, and set things on fire. Lots of fire. It might have been better if she actually were an evil entity bent on destroying the world. Yes, she. AU pseudo-x-over.

This is, ummm, weird, to say the least. I suppose it depends on who you are, but a lot of the time I do find this funny. Sometimes the humour misses and the fan service stuff is a bit off, but I do like the Naruto he's created. When the author turns to melodrama it's often pretty heavy handed, but the action scenes are good. Anyway, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure fic, but like I said earlier these are desperate times.​

Anyway, that's all I've really got that isn't very well known. Hope you find something you like in them. But I'm afraid though that if you want to find top quality stuff, then it's probably best to re-read.​

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Yeah, I reread Hurricane Suite for about the seventh time last weekend.

All the quality fics are written here on DLP.

3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Read this quality fic called Patriot's Dawn a while back, you should check it out.. :p

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7770646/1/
    It's fairly new, Naruto raised as an Inuzuka, haven't really gone into it much other than a couple of chapters, but the grammar was fairly decent, and a friend told me to check it out... no promises though.

4. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

5. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Okey, so I will give some of mines (nothing really fantastic):
    For first two Naruto with Kakuzu mentor fics:

Raised a Criminal » by DiscipleOfAnime reviews
    Naruto is kidnapped the night of the Kyuubi attack, but the Kyuubi is not sealed in him, but in his twin sister. Both Minato and Kushina are alive and Kakuzu gets ahold of the newborn Naruto and trains him. Ch. 36 Escape Konoha
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: M - English - Action/Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 36 - Words: 293,244 - Reviews: 867 - Updated: 1-22-12 - Published: 3-16-10 - - Naruto U./Hinata H.

The Cost of Living » by livezinshadowz reviews
    My response to pudgypudge's Jiongu challenge. Watch as Naruto is trained by Kakuzu to be a powerful ninja and bounty hunter, and follow him as he discovers that his new life requires a payment in blood to live successfully. Jiongu!NarutoRated: T - English - Adventure - Chapters: 13 - Words: 131,963 - Reviews: 422 - Updated: 2-13-12 - Published: 3-20-10 - Naruto U. & Kakuzu

Cursed Eyes » by Narutoenthusiast reviews
    Some say that being at the wrong place at the wrong time would get you killed. Well, young Naruto will learn this the hard way. A different twist to the Uchiha Massacre and Naruto gets a gift he never asked for in the first place. NarutoOC and KakashiOC
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: M - English - General - Chapters: 10 - Words: 75,682 - Reviews: 432 - Updated: 1-3-12 - Published: 9-11-09 - - Naruto U.

Naruto: Split » reviews
    Orochimaru's seal in the Forest of Death has an unintended consequence. Instead of one Naruto, there are now two. Both claim to be the real Naruto but how can one prove it when that Naruto is a female. Chapter 7: Naruto, Sakura and Chunin Exams
    Naruto - Rated: T - English - Chapters: 7 - Words: 40,319 - Reviews: 206 - Updated: 2-14-12 - Published: 11-3-10 - Naruto U. & Dark Naruto/Yami Naruto

The Best Laid Plans » by arun2110 reviews
    Madara had a plan. The Yondaime ruined it. Madara made another plan. One that could not fail. But the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry and this one had just run straight into the number one most surprising ninja in Konoha, one Uzumaki Naruto.
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: M - English - Action/Adventure - Chapters: 31 - Words: 162,375 - Reviews: 985 - Updated: 12-30-11 - Published: 1-26-08 - - Naruto U.

Signs » by d'ihshtri reviews
    Who said that Shinigami takes your life for his services? No one. Yondaime learned it the hard way the day Kyuubi attacked. A different turn of events! What if Naruto was raised by Madara?
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: T - English - General/Drama - Chapters: 15 - Words: 149,185 - Reviews: 512 - Updated: 12-26-11 - Published: 2-14-10 - - Naruto U./Madara U.

Naruto of the Salamander » by Sn0rkack reviews
    A young, lonely and impressionable Naruto meets a legendary Black Salamander of Ame. Nobody would know just how big of a change such a small happening could make until the legend of Uzumaki Naruto had already begun. Naruto x Ino - Team Ten!
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: M - English - Action/Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 8 - Words: 36,594 - Reviews: 515 - Updated: 11-24-11 - Published: 10-3-11 - - Naruto U./Ino Y.

6. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Full Moon » reviews What if Kyuubi never attacked Konoha? What if Minato and Kushina were still alive. How different would Naruto's life be? Watch as he grows as a powerful ninja, rising through the shinobi rank in a flash earning himself a feared reputation just like MinatoNaruto - Rated: M - English - Romance - Chapters: 32 - Words: 280,769 - Reviews: 783 - Updated: 2-16-12 - Published: 7-28-08 - Naruto U. & Yugao U. - Complete

Try this one, it was completed two days ago, and it's been a good read for me. It's been a long time since I read beginning though, so I can't guarantee the quality there. But a good story in general (and it's complete!)

7. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Well most stories from Narutoenthusiast are pretty decent. I only recommended Cursed Eyes because I liked that from one of biggest cliche "Naruto loses sight during Uchiha Massacre and gains sharingan" come pretty decent stories (I liked a lot idea that Naruto have dreams/nightmares from Sasuke eyes. Additionally it's my favorite story by him.

8. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I'm going to throw this one out there, just because I don't really remember it being mentioned on DLP (search confirms) and I liked it. It's a completely AU universe - Konoha's a few hundred years old and the villages are geared towards demon-hunting rather than fighting each other (not that it becomes an issue). You don't have to read the prequel...

Will of Foxfire » by Quill of Molliemon reviews
    AU, no bijuu, follows "Fox Moon". Naruto has secrets and Sasuke wants to please his father. Oh, and there's Orochimaru, plotting Kitsune, unfortunate werewolves, assorted demons, mysterious elders, simmering tensions, attempted murder, unhappy mothers...
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: T - English - Drama/Family - Chapters: 61 - Words: 270,950 - Reviews: 844 - Updated: 8-19-11 - Published: 6-26-10 - - Naruto U./Minato N. - Complete

9. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

...the only one of these I can confirm as worth anything at all is 'The Best Laid Plans'.

Everything else, with the possible exception of the Black Salamander sounds like utter and total shit.

10. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Agreed. But, there's simply aren't any good Naruto fics. This should be a "readable" fic list, rather than quality fics. But, better than nothing.

11. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I learned more than 3 years ago that if you want to read a decent Naruto fanfic you'd better be damn ready to write it yourself.

So go write it.

12. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Starting to come to that conclusion myself...

Sad state of affairs when there are just no really high quality fics out there to read. Time to get back to work.

13. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

DLP should attack to Naruto fandom to raise the quality perhaps.

I mean I looked my favorites for Naruto and now I am depressed. not one of them is good enough.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP attacks fandoms now?

15. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

How does one even go about 'attacking' a fandom? Promoting the best quality fics would be more constructive than attacking bad authors for producing bad stories.

Maybe we should make a DLP C2 for Naruto fics, like the one that exists for the HP fandom. All the Naruto C2s I've browsed through are equally full of atrocious fics.

16. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I couldn't get past all the grammatical errors and the bland descriptions. Yugao did this, Yugao did that. Does this get better as you go further into the story because so far I'm into chapter 5 and there's no noticeable improvement.

17. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I beleive that Time Braid deserves some mention of quality. The writing is good, the plot is interesting, the characterization is well done. The weakness is that it is not Sakura centric, that it goes the way of threesome pairing, that it definetly goes outside of Naruto canon to pull inspiration from. But even with those weaknesses, its near-quality.

18. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

That's considered a weakness now?

19. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I'm pretty sure he didn't intend to add the 'not' in that sentence.

Assuming you're not being sarcastic.

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I think he put a "not" there that shouldn't be. Time Braid is very much Sakura-centric. I tried to read it once, got fed up when they started mind-raping people and Naruto showed up as the "new Kyuubi", etc

The writing is mechanically sound, if memory serves, and it's not a complete waste of time, but it's far from good.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012