1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The relevant question, as usual, is why. The 'Dumbledore steals from Harry's vault'-plot isn't shit because it's cliché or lightyears from Canon!Dumbledore (it's that too, but that's beside the point), it's shit because it makes no sense. It's entirely random. Unmotivated. There for its own sake. 99% of the time, Dumbledore doesn't even do anything with the money. He just steals it. That's retarded.

In your case, you have Death Eater thing, but from what I can read, it makes it only slightly better.

A) Why do the Death Eaters want to steal Harry's money? Especially if you just declared him as not rich, but only moderately wealthy (so there won't be much to gain)? Why don't they steal from other vaults (too)? How is it even possible to steal from the goblins?

B) Why does Dumbledore wanting to protect Harry's money mean he has to steal/spend it? Why isn't he using his own money? Why doesn't he get the Death Eaters arrested instead? For that matter, how is it even his responsibility to protect Harry's money in the first place resp. he able to access the vault and do anything with it? And how does he even know the Death Eaters are trying to steal Harry's money?

So basically, what I see is a lot of questions that aren't answered. In story form, those are plotholes, and rather large ones at that. What you have done is substituted the motivation: Instead of using the stealing-money plot to portray Dumbledore as evil, you want to use it to portray him as the opposite. However, the action itself still makes no sense.

2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sesc: replace "Death Eaters" with "The Government" and many things that look like plot holes instead start to look like real life. If he leaves those questions unanswered then they may be plot holes, but there are (potentially) very good answers to those questions.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

^ I agree with Sesc about the Dumbledore thing. I do agree that it's potentially interesting -- Dumbledore is trying to keep Harry's stuff out of the enemy's hands and in doing so had to take control of it -- but you need to think it through a bit more and provide reasons for it all to be happening.

As for me...

I've been updating some of my old drabbles lately and posting them to ffnet. The following is one that I really want to fix up some (I'm posting it cuz <200 words):

Hunter Brown sat by his daughter in the Great Hall of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and realized that he hated Lily Potter.

Lavender had just breathed her last.

His daughter was dead, fighting for Harry Potter in a battle that should never have taken place at a school. She shouldn't have fought, she shouldn't have had to fight, but she did. She and Augusta's grandson. Augusta had contacted them, telling them to come to Hogwarts to fight alongside their daughter.

He'd rather have fought for her. As it was, he barely fought at all. He'd been too late. Not too late to see though, no. He'd seen Greyback murder his wife as she defended his daughter. He'd watched, immobilized, when Greyback savaged Lavender, awake but unable to move or speak. He’d heard Lavender's friends come rushing out of nowhere to take revenge. All too late.

Lavender had just breathed her last.

Hunter Brown hated Lily Potter. Her love had been enough to save her son. His wife's love, and his, hadn't been good enough for his daughter.
    There's two problems here. One is that it's disputed whether Lavender died or not (apparently). Two is that no one really gives a damn about Lavender or her father.

Here's the question: Who are better characters to use to get this same idea across? I need a parent who lost a child. Molly Weasley is an option but for some reason it doesn't feel right to give her these sorts of thoughts. No one else is coming to mind.

(And yes, I realize the story itself needs a lot of editing/work -- that'll come during the rewrite. I want to double the length as well, but we'll see on that)

4. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Andromeda?

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Parents of the Creevey brothers? Their elder son is dead, and they could do completly nothing.

6. Ched

Andromeda is a good option, as she lost Ted as well as her daughter. Though in her case she now has a grandson which might make it bittersweet instead of just depressing.

Another great suggestion, though I've already tried to tug at heartstrings relating to Colin's death, so I probably won't do a repeat.

But yay, two more options to add to the pile and think about.

7. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't want to read about people indulging in irrational emotional reactions. Not exactly helpful advice, I realize, but just putting it out there.

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll answer one of the questions now, since I see that I wasn't quite clear, but will have to work through the others.

As for why the Death Eaters are going after Harry's vaults, it was a POV issue. In the background story, Dumbledore thought it was specifically going after Harry, maybe to draw out Harry's caretakers and thus find him, or maybe even out of spite. Dumbledore doesn't really know. Through the years, however, he found that it wasn't just Harry's vaults, but rather, a concentrated effort to seize vaults/money that are "dormant" (typical banking laws). When there's accounts that should be dormant (they know that it's a child that has them, or that the family is dead, etc), but there's still activity, then they become more proactive in stealing the money, whether it be through legislation, pressuring those who are handling it (say, account reps, and no, NOT the Goblins, they are JUST bankers in the story), or by other means.

So in the end, Harry's vaults are just one of dozens that they're trying to seize, but because of Dumbledore's POV and worry about Harry, he doesn't recognize it until the Goblins bring it up to him.

Like I said, I have to think through the other questions later. I appreciate it the input.

ANd that's true for the others here as well. Thanks.

---------- Post automerged at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Since you had only female characters, I stuck with that. Most of these I think lived in the canon version, but that doesn't mean you can't write an AU version:
    Susan Bones would be a good possibility. (Definitely AU, however).
    Demelza Robins (though she's probably as disliked as Ginny).
    Padma would be an interesting choice.
    Katie Bell - you could work in her torture in her seventh year from the necklace as well.

9. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Demelza was actually rather pleasant from what I remember of her in HBP. Might you mean Romilda (the one who tried to daterape Harry)?

10. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    :facepalm

Yeah, that's exactly who I meant. Good catch.

11. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Let's see if this works, and then I'll use your other questions to think back through the issue. Here's what I have so far:

1. Dumbledore becomes aware of a movement to seize any bank account that has become dormant after X number of years. He does the math and realizes that Harry's account would be included. It is brought to the wizengamot and discussed (I'm going with the Old English/Saxon idea of the wizengamot as a place of council/appointment of state heads and also trials). The rationale is (a) because money abandoned there can be ised to improve Wizarding Britain, and (b) to make sure the goblins "don't get their greedy hands on it."

2. Dumbledore becomes suspicious and looks into it to find a small number of former Death Eaters make up the ministry office that would control the taking of the vaults and making decisions on where to disperse the gain.

3. He suspects that this may be a plot to take Harry's money and use it against him as some kind of leverage in the future, whether it be for spite, or because Voldemort is alive, he doesn't know.

4. In reaction, Dumbledore meets with the Goblins to find out the specifics of what he can do in order to keep the money out of the ministry's (and thereby the "former" Death Eater's) hands if the bill passes, based on Goblin banking regulations on what is an "abandoned" account. He finds out that the Ministry gets to set the passage of time before an account is abandoned, but the rules regulating what it means are set in stone.

• A total of five percent of the money at the start of the year must be either added or withdrawn during the year.
    • If it is suspected that money is just being taken and then put back in, the account can still be considered abandoned by the Ministry.
    • In short, the owner has to be willing to testify under oath that the money has actually been spent, or the money added was new money.
    • Last, these regulations fell out of favor centuries ago, but are still binding, which means many accounts could be taken, even those that are actually being used.

5. That Revelation leads him to inquire about other vaults that the Ministry has asked about, and he finds out that there is a number of vaults, that all together could be worth hundreds of thousands of galleons, or more.

6. Wizengamut meets and votes in the laws (Dumbledore just a member, 1985. He becomes head in '86 during change of govt., when Fudge becomes Minister, according to how I'm laying out the timeline).

7. Dumbledore frets about what to do with the money, and decides to pull some of it out and using it to pay Harry's education in advance at Hogwarts. There is another vault that was surreptitiously used for the Order (not a Potter vault), and for ongoing things concerning the Order/keeping tabs on things after the war. Dumbledore uses money from Harry's vault as well as this one to pay for such activities to make sure that his account is being used, and is accounting for it as Protection money, such as paying Mrs. Figg's mortgage, etc. However, by the time of Harry's fourth year, the money spent was enough so that Dumbledore could start paying Harry's vault back from the vault being used to pay for the ongoing Order/keeping tabs/security work. All of this works out to Harry's vaults being kept above the level at which the Ministry can seize it.

8. The money brought in to the ministry isn't being distributed, and Dumbledore tries to find out why. As a result, the legislation is abandoned, but Dumbledore is fearful that it will be used again since it wasn't voted out.

9. With all the stuff happening at the Ministry with Sirius Black escaping in Harry's third year, it provided a good cover for the former Death Eaters to start taking vaults again without it making much noise.

10. Dumbledore is alerted by the Goblins because of his position but also because of the earlier conversations. He looks into it and finds out that the money taken is being sent to Albania. Bertha Jorkins finds out about it (she's described by Sirius in GoF as very nosy and not too bright) and believes the money should go to help put on the worldcup/triwizard tournament. She takes a "holiday" to see exactly what's going on, but never returns.

11. Dumbledore guessed as why she went, and it raised his suspicions. After asking a few trusted associates of the ICW, he comes to believe that Voldemort is active, and that the money is being sent to him.

So:

wouldn't keep Harry's money from being taken.

Being done legally through the Ministry, and by the time they start up again during Prisoner of Azkaban, Malfoy owns fudge too much and can run interference.

A magical adult must be the trustor of Harry's vaults until he's of age. When Sirius went to jail, that fell to Dumbledore, as planned in the will of Harry's parents (no "will-reading" in the story. Hell no).

One part seeing whats being done in the wizengamat, one part paranoid suspicion after years of war.

This all sets up a weary Dumbledore at the beginning of the Fourth year, even more suspicious after Harry's name is put in the Goblet. BTW, in this story, Peter Pettigrew doesn't escape, so Sirius is free, and comes back as the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher during the GoF year, which throws a spin on how Harry's name gets put in the Goblet, among some other issues.

Does that cover the plot holes, or does it just open up more?

EDIT: thought of another plot hole. Why not just start moving money if the seizures begin again? I'm thinking maybe because it would just take another law in the Ministry to adjust what is meant by "Abandoned," and Dumbledore decides it's not worth the risk. So he sets about doing it the way described above.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Better. What you have now is a massive, complicated backstory, so what's left is what I call simplifying. When I do research I end up with a ton of stuff, which, if actually put into the story, turns it into a massive, off-putting info-dump. So you have to streamline stuff and single out the important bits (knowing more than you put into the story is good).

In this case: Harry discovers strange transactions in his account statements. He accuses Dumbledore of stealing money. And then it turns out that Dumbledore spend some of the money to keep the account active and prevent a seizing by the Ministry.

That's the gist. That's what you need in the story. The rest can be put into it in bits and pieces wherever they fit.

Though I'd probably say that seizing the account of Harry Potter (regardless of whether there are other accounts seized too) is going a bit far, even for the Ministry. He's the national hero. You can't sell that very well. Lucius would probably try another way -- like a tax on inactive accounts, wrapped in some sort of legislation about stimulating the economy (money that isn't spend is useless) or alternatively a "rebuilding Diagon Alley-fund" after Voldemort did some damage to public and private buildings.

The law needs to be tailored in a way that doesn't infringe on the "ordinary wizard", and sold to the public by talking a lot about its aims for the public welfare and taking money from the "greedy goblins" that are hoarding "wizards' money" without doing anything with it (basically what you said). A point has to be made that the goblins are refusing to simply hand over the money, with which so much good could be done. Thus, the trick with the "Goblin-tax", for which the Ministry has the authority. That's what the layman knows: Law to help the people, tax on goblins.

Then, to appease the doubtful voices, they throw around some random examples of long-extinguished family lines where everyone agrees it's outrageous that goblins won't hand over the money and actually consider it to be theirs (as per DH-Canon), and in reality, they place the cut-off date of inactivity (as defined for post-war accounts in exemption 3 in annex D) in such a way that Harry's account is just squeezed in, and set the 'tax' at anything from 50 to 90%.

At that point, every not politics wonk has lost interest, and presto, Harry's (and every other war-victim's) money is theirs.

Though again, unless you are writing a political story, much of that is probably too detailed to be used in directly. The four paragraphs by itself are already the plot for a medium-sized story. It might be a fun thing to try to show it from the outside instead -- and leave it to the reader to piece it together. I'm a fan of that, anyway.

13. Photon

Photon Order Member

And later once Harry and other notice problem - blame goblins.

14. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks. Now to find out how and when to work the streamlined stuff into my story.

(Doesn't help that I'm working on four stories at the same time).

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I'm wondering, is there any decent Steampunk Harry out there? isaw some DC/Marvel fanart and read about noir, so I thought hard, and couldn't remember any mention to one.

16. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    This question isn't so much about my fanfic, as it is a specific question about setting a scene in my fanfic. Setting scenes and working the use of proper conjunctions at the proper time for good narrative flow are my two foci right now.

So, with that said, here's my question. In the paragraph below, is this scene set to your liking? why or why not? Note, it's in chapter 23 of my fic, so the reason for Harry being there, etc., are all taken care of already. I'm not looking for commentary on the story, or other parts of writing here (or I wouldn've put it in the WbA subforum), just on setting the scene.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

For a second I thought this was a general AMA for the authors on DLP. xD

18. Ched

It set the scene for me fine EC Scrubb. It could probably be tweaked a little to flow more smoothly, but in terms of envisioning the scene I was fine.

You could consider using a description other than the visual, though. The feel of the chimney, the smell of the air, etc.

19. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Great advice. Would you believe I've never even thought about that?

Jon - AMA? American Medical Association style guide?

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    A question for my own fanfic writing: Dagger and Rose--sequel (a different path from the one I started and abandoned in a swath of flames), rewrite, scrap/delete, or ignore and write something else?

My rookie novel, written ages ago, it's flawed as hell yet pretty much the only thing I've written that anyone reads. Potentially salvagable? Harry/Fleur is still lacking in terms of decent stuff. I'm trying to talk myself into considering a light rewrite and a less objectionable follow-on... It's not like my original fiction is selling (novel and novella languishing in slushpiles about the globe...)