1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Glimmervoid, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Fixed that for you.

Remember, even research into the Outer Gates gets you an appointment for a haircut from a very angry Warden. Very few people know anything concrete about Outsiders or what their limits are.

The Archive would be among that number. If anyone could find a backdoor to the "fortress" that is reality, it would be Ivy.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

She only knows what others have written down, but sure, it's possible. It kinda defeats the purpose of the outer gates, though. Not to mention that the Oblivion war has eradicated lots of the stuff there is about the outsiders. I'm willing to bet you need a name to reach them.

3. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

To quote the author:

So yeah the Archive being corrupted would be horrible on several levels.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  4. Zeelthor

Christ... Yeah. That would be really, really bad.

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not really fond of how the shift of focus to the Outsiders is being handled. The Winter Court and now the Archive have basically been hijacked for it. It's not so much that I object to them having a purpose against the Outsiders, it's that he's made it so the Outsiders have always been their primary purpose, and all the other functions are actually just unimportant secondary stuff. I'd rather it be the opposite; the Archive being a magical repository of human knowledge first and foremost, with a secondary, but important function against the Outsiders. Same outcome, but the previous things we learned are still relevant and important.

6. Zeelthor

You forget the third function which he's not telling us because he's an evil troll. :p

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Well a big part of the DF series is that we are uncovering more of the world as Dresden himself does.

There would be no possible way to have knowledge of the outsiders be from book 1 wit out totally destroying the theme of the books. Also knowledge of outsiders is exceptionally rare. Harry only knows bits and he is crazily well connected, fallen angels, Fae, senior wizards, Bob, oh my.

And as the Gate Keeper said, the outsiders and war are usually in long periods of cold war, it is only very recently that the shits been firing up.

8. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Yep, when I saw the discussion I just knew I had to drop that one. Luckily the wiki had a link because I had no clue which thread I had read it.

Well that was from November 19, 2012 so not exactly now. ;)

Anyway jokes aside I was under the impression that the whole everyone forgetting could apply to every single supernatural entity...? Though thinking on it the first reference is from a fanfic so now I am not sure anymore. Doesn't help that DF is one of those few that has really awesome fanfics.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Outsiders probably don't have to be summoned one at a time. The Red Court attack around the time of Dead Beat had multiple Outsiders involved, albeit of the tentacle kind rather than the Walker kind.

Think of it this way; instead of summoning Chauncy, Harry could have opened up a portal to Hell and brought a couple of demons through that way, albeit with less specificity. The same could easily apply to Outsiders.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Why didn't Justine DuMorne get Bob to tell him all Kemmlers secret necromancy knowledge, he stole Bob from Kemmler so he knew Bob knew all sorts of powerful crap.

Or maybe he did and that's how he was corrupted? But them from what we know of him he didn't see that badarse.

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I imagine a lot of it was due to noticability. Recall that all the Necromancers in DB were pretty much recognizable on 'sight'--that is, anyone who could feel their magic could tell what they were and anyone with Ectomancy could figure out where they did anything and etc.

If Justin starts rocking the Necromancy, he'd draw the attention of the WC very quickly. And barring the catastrophic distraction of DB, they'd come down on him hard.

12. Erotic Adventures of S

WoG From Jim:-

From Cold Days:-

From mother summer in reference to mother winter.

Not sure if anyone else noticed that before, but Jim said he usaully doesnt say something if it isnt relevant.

13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Yea, that much is pretty obvious with the WoG thrown in there.

I'd originally thought the Blackstaff was the Daghda's club, but a relic belonging to Mother Winter makes a great deal of sense as well. I'm intrigued on how that's going to play into things and whether or not Dresden will 'inherit' it when McCoy inevitably dies.

14. Zeelthor

It's possible that Justin just didn't have any talent for Necromancy, or no interest in it. As Ryuugi said, it would've meant staying undercover difficult, if not impossible.

15. Erotic Adventures of S

Kemmlers students managed to avoid capture for 40 years...

16. Zeelthor

Probably cos they didn't hang around with other WC wizards.

17. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

And natural power/talent is a huge factor in a wizard's capabilities. Justin probably wasn't even close to the same level as Kemmler's students, who seem to be on the level of Senior Council members. That's why they haven't been found and destroyed. If Justin didn't have that kind of ability and he drew the attention of the WC, off with his head. Who knows, maybe he wanted to wait till he had two powerful thralls in his possession before he started delving into it...

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    Kemmler's students weren't Senior Council level. Not by a long shot. Cowl could be, but he was never Kemmler's student.

19. Erotic Adventures of S

Well it was said luccio was one if the next in line for senior council before her body swap, and she didn't have a shot against them.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    Are you kidding me? The only fight Luccio had against an actual necromancer was against Corpsetaker, and she gutted her in a few seconds. Luccio spent most of the final battle defending a group of schoolchildren from zombies, almost getting ambushed by a ghoul (which got stomped by a nearby T-Rex) and then getting sucker punched with a body swap.

Luccio completely wiped the floor with Corpsetaker in a regular fight, which is why very few Wizards actually go for them. Given that Corpsetaker was outright stated to be stronger than Harry in raw magic terms, I doubt she had the skill to match up against a Senior Council member. I mean, imagine a fight between her and McCoy? It wouldn't even take seconds.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014