1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Recycling Computer Parts

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Ched, May 9, 2016.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Those of you who build your own rigs - what do you do with the parts when you upgrade?

I'm not planning on building again until later this year, but I've started wondering what I'll do with my current rig. I have no need of a second desktop in the house. I kept my last laptop from around 2007, and on the rare occasion my current laptop, desktop, or work laptop can't do something it has filled in like a champ.

For me...

Worth doing something with - CPU, MoBo, PSU, RAM
    Reusing in next build - SSD, HD
    Selling - Case (didn't like it), GPU (last legs, will sell as damaged)

I could sell the remaining worthwhile parts, but the amount of cash I'd get for parts that have seen 5 years of use seems like it's not worth it, not if I could find something else to do with them. No onboard graphics though.

So, what does everyone else do? Build something new? Sell it as a whole? Repurpose for your own use elsewhere?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1) Try to sell to someone I know irl who might want a pc upgrade. Talk them into it.
    2) If the part is actually worth the effort, internet auction site or such. There are a few good Finnish ones, I'm sure you have your equivalents.
    3) Stash them in a corner somewhere and forget about them.

In your case, five year old parts are likely worth nothing.

I only need one pc, so I'm not into building like three backups.

3. Ched

Exactly - even if I still see value in some of my old parts, they're not going to get me enough money to make it worth anything individually.

I could buy a cheap HD, GPU, and small case (or use the abused HAF 912) to get a full rig again, then try to sell that. I could get those parts for <$50 off eBay, and maybe resell the whole thing for $250... but I'd probably end up putting Linux on it, which would turn some people off.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Do you have any older relatives (or any, I guess) that are talking about maybe getting a new computer? When I got a new one, I took all of my now-obsolete parts and installed them into my aunt's computer (since they were still better than the cheap crap she had). So she was saved the hassle of getting a new one, while getting improvement, and I don't have to jack with the hassle of selling or just storing.

5. Ched

Nah, my parents are still loving their Sony Vaio laptop and will get another laptop (not a desktop) when they upgrade.

I don't have any other older relatives that I'd want to give parts to at present, especially since they might follow up with repair requests once the parts eventually do fail. If I had a relative without a computer at all I might try to repurpose my parts into something, but no one is in that boat at present that I know of.

6. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This might seem like a weird suggestion, but it's what I did last time I upgraded and I've been meaning to do it again.

You've said that these things have no real value to you. Perhaps consider putting them somewhere like ebay for a dollar plus postage— you'll be out, at max, maybe an hour of your life packaging them up and sending them off, but your old worthless shit might seriously make someone's day.

7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You can turn it into a home server/NAS box/media center. But high on the power consumption, but still feasible. Alternatively, interactive space heater.