1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Resonance by GreenGecko - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by realmess, Sep 3, 2005.

1. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

4.5 for the first story from me. Awesome character development, a believable take on Mentor!Snape.
    1st sequel is nice, 4 for strong execution and an interesting Auror academy and good OC's.

I already said it somewhere (maybe Sophie's intro thread), but the 2nd sequel I found was dragging on too long, and IMO the author failed at Honks.

2. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Sorry, I just re-reviewed.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I still follow the series: Honks is still in development. I really don't think it will really pick up, either. The story isn't focused on that. If there is any serious Honks it will be in the last few chapters of the last installment. It actually feels a little realistic... I mean, Harry isn't swooning over the woman and Tonks shouldn't be either. They're adults and are ficky idiots. Their relationship isn't going to spring up from a little rainfall, especially when Harry feels insecure with his 'omg dark evil powers'.

Snape/Harry relationship is bizarre, painful, but tolerable enough. It doesn't ruin the story, though it would be much better without it.

I'm probably parroting what everyone else has said about the series, but honestly, I think it's library-worthy. Harry does a lot of universe hopping with his unique powers, and the plot is arranged in a way that it's hard to lose interest (though I do admit the second story was dragging for a while). I'm curious to see how it will end, and I'm surprised this isn't in the library actually. It isn't bad. It's only trappings are 1. Too much Snape 2. Too much (uninteresting) OC 3. Too much snape.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Hmm, a difficult story this one. It was one of the first epics I stumbled upon in my early days of fanfiction, back when I only knew about HPFF.com.

The first thing that has always bumped is the obvious father/son relationship between Harry and Snape. I would read the story and cringe every time Snape and Harry interacted in aforementioned relationship. On the other hand, I did enjoy their pursuits into making it work, like Harry looking for a good present to give Snape and Snape teaching Harry stuff about magic.

Harry's auror training and the various love interests a long the way keep it interesting as well. To me, this is a Harry in his teens we should expect.

What's even better is that the story (imo) isn't too dramatic every time Harry hooks up with a girl. Instead it's actually some-what close to teen romances we see and experience in real life (none of those 'OMGZ we have a soul-bond' or 'I was raped repeatedly! What!? Now I don't love you any more for no apparent reason!' kind of things).

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This isn't in the library? Interesting. I had sort of assumed it was.

I still follow it as well, though since updates are fairly slow I usually wait for 3-4 until picking back up with it.

It's been a long time since I read the first story. My memories of it tempt me to rate it at 5/5, but it's been a while and the trilogy as a whole is... well, I can't decide between 4/5 and 5/5, honestly. I'd have to read it again to formulate a stronger opinion.

So as much as I know some of you hate the bloody half point rating system, screw it, I'm giving it a 4.5/5 for now. If I ever go back and re-read the whole thing I'll come change my vote to a proper whole number.

Harry does have some pretty cool powers in this one, and since
    Voldemort dies near the start of the first story
    the plotting for the stories is relatively original.

This is the only truly well done Severitus fic that I can think of. A Year Like None Other is pretty well written, but it's far too full of clingy/angsty/whiny/too-childish-at-17 Harry. None of the others I've looked at have been worth reading.

Plus, with Resonance, there's a lot more plot and things that don't have much to do with Snape. It's a story that incorporates Harry and Snape becoming a family, not a story that focuses on that to the exclusion of other plot elements.

Though, hm. I can see the points from earlier people about why Harry needs to be adopted in the first place, he's 16-17, he's killed Voldemort, etc. I understand this concept turning people off the story, and I actually get that. I guess you need to go into it wanting to read a story that contains a mentor/apprentice or father/son bond as a plot element. Those are some of my favorite types of stories, so this works for me, but if you're looking for a story where Harry kicks Voldemort's ass, then proceeds on to be asskicking awesome at other things, then I guess the father/son aspect of the story might just piss you off.

*shrug*

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  6. Qwerty

Qwerty Second Year

I read the series a while ago and, while I'm not a fan of Snape or Severitus, the story was written pretty well and Harry had cool dark powers.

Like a lot of people already mentioned, the characters mostly stayed in character, and that helped neutralise my dislike over the general plot of Snape adopting Harry.

4.5/5. Still don't like Snape.

7. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Can I ask what is the origin and meaning of Severitus? I know it has something to do with mentor-Snape.

8. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

The Severitus challenge (issued by ff.net author Severitus) was to write a story where Harry found out Snape was his biological dad on his 16th birthday. Then he starts to undergo physical changes, because the spell/potion Lily used to hide it begins to wear off. The term is now used loosely to describe any fic where Snape is a mentor to Harry, but that's not what it historically means.

Original challenge can be found here.

9. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

What a vomit-inducing idea.

10. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I prefer to think of it as a Severitis -- an inflammation to the Severus -- a severe mental condition that if gone untreated will bring a painful and messy death.

11. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I generally liked the first fic but I did read the second but it always seemed the author was dying to pair Harry/Ginny (which he said he wasn't going to do) but it just always seemed like it was around the corner and it just turned me off immensely. The first fic though was actually a good read.

12. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

I'm not sure if we're reading the same story. There is no Harry/Ginny. If anything, there will never be any Harry/Ginny. Most of the solidified romance by the third novel centers around UST!Hermione/Vineet, Pining!Harry/Tonks, and Candide/Snape.

13. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I just finished the third story or rather, I'm close to the latest chapters.

The first story is pretty good, actually it's great. The second was alright although the middle chapters dragged on a lot.

The third...

Just skip it. God damn it drags on forever with no real plot what so ever. At least in the second story there was a little interesting plot, but the third is just plain confusing.

In conclusion GreenGecko shouldn't have continued the first story.

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Yeah, the first one is good, the second one weak, but Resolution... I'm definitely revising my opinion on this one.

Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead, but the latest chapter of Resolution is pretty good. The plot is simply this:

Harry is going crazy. He's being influenced by Voldemort and is constructing elaborate plans to murder people. It's great.

Yeah the OCs and the Severitus are obnoxious, but the story is genuinely fun to read. It's long and a little slow, but I think this story could use a little more review before being forever left to the abyss of the recycling bin.

Of course, it hasn't ended yet, but right now the conspiracy chapters are a treat. Harry becomes more and more evil with each chapter - and it's not pointless malevolence, either. You can tell most of his behavior is the result of paranoia.