1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Resource] List of Alternate Potter Worlds

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Andrela, Sep 26, 2013.

1. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

We haven't really got going yet, but basically everyone is cooking a share of the meal. Also adding thoughts to other's worlds and assuring quality.

2. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Worm/HP is an interesting cross with some potential, but I thought about doing a crossover a couple of times, and the following issues always stymied me:

-I prefer Taure's theory of HP magic, wherein magic is conceptual and ultimately superior to and different from technology in such things as protection (a perfectly cast Protego is an absolute protection against all physical harm and most non-Dark magic, in this conception.)

-Worm powers are, by word of God, and demonstrated to some extent within the setting, reducible to technology.

Thus, most crossovers had some serious issues with wizards being much stronger in some aspects. For example, an animated golem reinforced with an unbreakable charm would be able to completely ignore all damage from Behemoth or Leviathan.

This is balanced by the presence of powers in Worm which have no or few counters in HP. If Contessa or the Simurgh decided to manipulate a wizard into doing something to their benefit they'd be able to quite easily.

So in that way, HP beats Worm in defensive capabilities and Worm beats HP in precognition and manipulation of people. So you might find a balance there.

My preferred solution to this cross is one wherein Worm powers are different than how they are in canon in terms of their conception. Their powers aren't limited by energy requirements-- they're conceptual in nature instead. So the Entities in Worm are, instead of biological organisms who's existence is constrained by energy requirements (to some degree, since they ration it), they're instead supernatural beings who gift people with magical/parahuman powers for inscrutable and unknowable reasons.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I invited you to the group, come and see what you can do.