1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Resurrexit by Master Slytherin - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Title: Resurrexit
    Author: Master Slytherin
    Rating: M
    Genre: Tragedy/Mystery
    DLP Category: Dark Arts
    Words: 74,756
    Pairing: Harry/Luna
    Summary: Ten years later. All was well ... until Harry's wife dies under suspicious circumstances. Harry will not rest until he has vengeance. Neville is tasked by the Ministry with uncovering the truth before the Chosen One does something he will regret ...
    Link: Here

Excellent fic from the same author who brought us What Lies Beneath. Maybe the best mystery HP fic I ever read.

5/5

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since no one is responding, I feel I should back up SPO's endorsement: this fic is great. The writing is excellent: elegant, precise, concise, with good imagery and a pace to it that means you zip through the story.

(I bet it had amazing beta readers)

The plot contains a few elements that reveal that the story was started a few years ago, before the fandom grew tired of certain ideas like Unspeakables being spies, but it's executed well.

You should all definitely read it.

5/5

3. frantic

frantic Boosted

There's no real way to describe this.

It's fantastic. Every part of it is brilliant. The plot, the characters, the reveals - they're all perfectly executed. I don't even mind the Unspeakables being spies, it's done in such an interestingly different way.

Luna's phenomenal, and Harry's pain and descent are incredible. This story is absolutely, and totally brilliant.

5/5.

4. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Agreed with Taure. I just started this and am on Chapter 9. I am loving it so far!

5/5 from me too. Taure's pointed out what I would have said.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

That was great. It's a great story that knows what it wants to be and is nothing besides it. There is no pointless padding that is the downfall of most fanfiction.

There are some problems, the speeches in the last few chapters and the epilogue feel a bit weak and the plot is a bit to convenient in places, but it hardly detracts from the story overall.

5/5 More authors should strive to write their stories like this, instead of planning out 200k+ works and than abandoning them.

6. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

This is a very well written fic. The plot was interesting and the character development was executed well. There are a few minor annoyances like the unspeakable agents which made me cringe for a moment, but they were also easily ignored.

While it is one of the better fics I've read, I would hesitate to call it among the best.

4/5

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I adored this story, and I think it's an easy 5/5.

I don't have the time for a great review, but one of the scenes I adored was Neville resting his hands on a marble sculpture of a Nundu, and shivering, but not knowing whether or not that was from the cool temperature, or from fear of what the sculpture represented

Far too many stories, for better or worse, never gloss over the canonically terrifying creatures the universe contains, be it nundu, a manticore, a skulking lethifold, a chimaera, or an escaped, rampaging dragon, so as to focus on the threat of the fellow humans. I.E. beasts that require "a hundred wizards to subdue," or beasts that were vanquished, but the wizard fell off his hippogriph from exhaustion after the battle.

I kind of want to read a story now where some smuggled (somehow) Nundu escapes into London/some other urban center and the entire Ministry and all available wands are called to contain the threat, and then dealing with the fallout of all the dead muggles and wizards due to the toxic breath and ferocity of a rhinoceros sized leopard/tiger thing.

It's an odd takeaway from the fic, I admit, but it's what stuck with me, along with the final half dozen chapters.

8. xvector

xvector Second Year

4.5/5 beautiful, thrilling, action-packed, emotionally gut-wrenching, and overall awesome.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is where I distinguish "best" vs "best written". I think Resurrexit may very well be the best written HP fanfic - its only real competition is Sesc's Unatoned. And by "best written" I don't just mean the phrasing, I also mean the structure of the fic, the way it's paced, the character voices, etc.

However, I wouldn't say Resurrexit is the best fanfic ever in terms of being my absolute favourite. Resurrexit tells a good, contained, tightly plotted story, but it's too narrow in focus to compete with my favourite stories. My favourites are all "general" stories, by which I mean stories that mirror canon's breadth of scope, encompassing mystery, action, adventure, romance, humour, coming-of-age, slow burn plot arcs with numerous subplots, worldbuilding, etc.

10. salts

salts Third Year

So... essentially, a magical Endbringer? I kid.

Anyway, it's been said to death already, but the writing is, by far and none, some of the best I've seen thus far. It's concise. There's weight in the words, and the imagery it invokes is excellent.

5/5

11. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

It comes as a surprise to me but I'd have to disagree with most of the previous posts in this thread:

This story started out great, it was an intriguing murder mystery with interesting characters that had depth.

Shortly after the halfway point the story fell apart. Utterly. Characters became caricatures, the murder mystery became cliched and predictable. The author tried to showcase Harry's descent and did a great job at first, but towards the end Harry himself became an absurd and ridiculous character. The changes to his character happened way too quickly and were too vast to seem realistic, due to that the author lost me.

The story is technically well written and started out great, but quickly felt rushed and sloppy in many regards. There were too many parts that had me just nodding along because I could no longer deal with how over the top everything was.

I feel torn. 3/5.

12. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I have to agree with Trig. The story is good, for sure, but about halfway through things started to go off the rails, and it began to feel very rushed. I loved the beginning, but I'm not sold on the whole thing.

I'd still give it a 4/5, though. It's technically well-written and the ideas are definitely there. If the execution was a bit more precise I'd easily give this story a 5/5.

13. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I, too, pretty much agree with Trig. The story started off well, but then nose-dived when it was revealed that Harry was "Death." See, I've never bought into the whole "loss of a loved one drives you mad" trope, so I don't find his decent at all believable. I especially don't believe he'd attack and damn near kill one of his best friends over it. It's a shame, because I had rather high hopes for the story at the beginning.

3/5 because it's technically pretty much flawless.

14. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

While I agree that the prose is fantastic, I can't say the same for the plot. Much like WLB, I starts out pretty interesting, but slowly jumps the shark and descends into 'WTF?' territory, which is why I just couldn't continue reading past chapter 12. Harry's madness is over the top, and his motives are confusing. I understand why he would want revenge, but the guy who spent his seven most formative years learning to come to terms with death, suddenly goes all second brother? I just don't buy it.

15. Stan

Stan Order Member

I agree with the last few posts. Harry's descent into madness is rushed and unconvincing. Many of the important moments feel forced. We barely got to see anything of Luna and Harry, and without that it was hard to connect to Harry's motivations as well. Not to mention I dislike this interpretation of Luna, and I dislike how the author brought someone who seemed to be a relatively minor character to the centre of the plot with very little foreshadowing.

I will also say that the main characters (Harry and Neville) never really felt much like their canon selves, even at the start of the story. Take Inverarity's Hogwarts Houses Divided, to see what I mean. There both Harry and Neville feel like their DH selves grown up, and while they are undoubtedly mature adults, they still retain their essence from canon. Same for any of Northumbrian's characters. Here there exists a disconnect between the story's characters and JKR's characters right from the start.

The story is very well written though. The atmosphere is perfect for this sort of story and it manages to capture your attention and keeps enough of it to ensure that you keep reading. Unfortunately, many of the important moments just don't connect the way they should, and that takes away a lot from the story.

3.5/5.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  16. saevanus

saevanus Third Year DLP Supporter

I won't add more to Harry's rushed descent into madness–I was hoping for an interesting grey!necromancy story anyway.

My biggest gripe was the rough integration of essential elements and an off the wall second act. How was I supposed to guess that
    Luna had a long lost psychiatrist crushing on her, who would have 'secret 'meetings with her, break into her house when she missed a meeting, see a room she made to look like her mother's, and then decide that the most reasonable course of action was to bomb it, accidentally killing her?
    I also didn't appreciate the overly simplistic origin of Luna's eccentricities.

The rest of the necromancy stuff was fairly interesting and could form the basis of an eminently readable story. As such it just fell into the old 'Horcruxes are always evil, but sometimes the worst evil comes from love. And also Neville's Batman.'

The writing and intro are, imo, what makes it a 3/5, but the second half just goes off the deep end.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Really felt like it needed to be fleshed out in the middle. Harry went from being unwilling to harm a random muggle, to being willing to kill Hermione with very little explanation on why. His character just takes a wild drive off a cliff.

Also, I have to admit I was very frustrated with the first chapter. It went on and on about how Luna was Harry's rock, but didn't show us any reason why until much later. I'm willing to buy the driven mad by grief angle, but you need to give me a reason to be invested. Just telling me he's in anguish doesn't do it.

4/5, not really my mind of fic, but the writing is technically flawless, and the twists worked out for the most part.

18. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

After reading it, I have to say, it is definitely well written and deserves it's score.

But I have this question:

Why are all the best fanfics so goddamn depressing? So much grimdark and angst flying around, it's ludicrous!

19. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Yeah, this really stumbled to the finish line. By the end, Harry was just... I wasn't rooting for him, and he felt completely disconnected from his canon self.

I thought the backstory with Luna was kinda bullshit.

The writing is very solid, some amazing atmospheric touches.

Like Wastelands of Time, it's kinda like the HP universe is just a facade for the writer's original story. It works... okay, I guess?

I never felt invested or cared all that much about the characters. I finished it because by the time I lost interest, I was too close to the end.

Still better than 99% of fanfiction.

3/5

20. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Spoiler tags, ever heard of them? You started and now everyone is spilling the fic’s plot in the review thread. Lovely, thank you all.