1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Reunion by Rorschach's Blot - M

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Hashasheen, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

2. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Clearly you under-estimate my appreciation for a well written distraction Oz. =P It may not be epic, or even original, but Absurd Situations tend to make me smile. Life's a bitch and all that nonsense you know?

I take my humor where I can get it, and while the idea of Harry returning to his six year old body is not new, the fact that he came back as a remorsely killer with a smile amuses me to no end. Not to mention the other three taking it in stride with good natured sigh and a "Oh that Harry, what a cheeky little bastard he is."

3. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

A solid start, with some very nice touches, such as the Grave Robbery comment.

It made me smile in places, and it kept me entertained, so I suppose I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

4. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

A decent start but... conflict. How will this story have any?

5. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

It likely won't, s'just humorous.

6. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Even funny stories need conflict. In fact, the best comedies derive their humor from conflict (case in point: Everything Nonjon has ever written <_<)

7. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Uhh...

Wut?

8. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

3/5. Not bad, but I didn't enjoy it.

9. Goose

Goose First Year DLP Supporter

I liked it. For the most part it was enjoyable to read. Better by half then some of the time-travel fics out there and has some semblance of a plot.

The few parts I didn't like:
    Vector/Sirius (you know you're a sad person when you're easily seduced by a guy who's just got out of prison).
    + Friends (Harry obviously can't think for himself when he has to take his brains with him back in time.)

I would give it 3.5/5. Liked it, but I've read better.

10. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

xP Its something I've seen you write at least twice (maybe) in the Naruto section, and this fic reminded me of it.

11. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

You do make a cogent argument. THe fics with Harry as a super-mega wizard, with martial arts all over and heir to Merlin and Moses both usually suffer from a lack of decent villains. More often than not they degenerate very quickly to Harry strutting around easily crushing his enemies while they just stand their gobbling impotently.

12. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Read it at an earlier point and it's decent but not rave-worthy. 3.5/5

13. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Not library worthy, not even recycling bin worthy.

Not clever, not funny, not entertaining, not memorable, not original; not good. 2/5.

14. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Wow, surpising 2/5 for such a bad review.

15. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

You know, that two out of five has been gnawing at me since I posted it. It bothered me. I knew it wasn't right. So it made me think about the methodology of my reviews.

I gave it a +1 because for all of its egregious faults, it was readable; It had decent spelling, decent grammar, and there were moments where the story approached vaguely interesting.

I think that is the problem.

Grammar, spelling, writing good enough not to cause pain, these are not exceptional things. These should not be special. They should be the minimum a story has for me to even acknowledge it exists.

How many times have I seen a good review given to a mediocre story? Is reviewing submissions only there to keep the worst out? Isn't it supposed to sift the shining gems from the dull rocks?

My rating was incorrect. I will fix it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

What? :confused:

I've been enjoying this story but good grammar? You have got to be shitting me. The rampant then/than confusion alone is enough to make me want to bust someone with a tire iron. That, sadly, is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

I think on this and then say to myself, "Wait, isn't he off somewhere teaching English or some shit?" Then I wonder why I don't give up on my goal of winning the lottery and just get a degree so I can teach English.

17. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

I tend to gloss over minor grammar problems, keeps the sanity.

There's an old joke that the writers with the most spelling and grammar problems are always English Majors.

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It made me smile in lots of moments. It's refreshing to read Harry who isn't grief stricken when he kills someone who wouldn't hesitate to kill him.
    3.5/5 from me (voting 4)

There was one thing I didn't understand, though. Harry said to kill only evil people, not incompetents. Whatever you call Fudge in canon, he is just an idiot (much like AD here, just less powerful), and yet, he died.

19. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Fudge's sin was betrayal, not incompetence. Dumbledore meant for the best and failed, Fudge actively tries to screw over the population for his own benefit.

20. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Silver peas, I think you protest to much.

We are looking for the pretty enough to fill in a few spaces in the rock collection, not shining gems.

A: It is fan fiction, what do you want for free.
    B: It is Harry Potter, and while JKR has made a huge mark on the world
    I do not see any major awards in her future for literary merit (as opposed to book sales) (Nobel prize etc.)