1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by CheddarTrek, May 31, 2013.

1. why?

why? Second Year

High Score:
    I realise this is a bit old, but what was it about Peter's situation that was so inappropriate?

Was it because he asked why she was in a motel?

From what he's said, it sounds like he was just mucking about a little, and his coworker seems quick to overreact. What was the point of sending a strange parking lot video to him anyway? "Hey, look at me being dodgy, and don't ask any questions."?

Happy to hear nothing bad came out of this, but that person sounds like they have issues. I've ignored red flags (ranging from being plain unreliable to seemingly unstable/erratic) from people before just because I was a bit lonely or wanted to "have some fun". Never worth it.

At any rate, asking because I'm genuinely curious about this.

2. Seyllian

Seyllian Professor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mind your own business. That simple.

3. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much this. Peter asked questions he shouldn't have, with someone he had no connection to other than working with, and sharing a friends list with.

Its social etiquette, which he did not execute well.

4. why?

why? Second Year

High Score:
    Thanks.

Okay, I went back and read his post again. I missed the part where he said this happened *after* she sent the parking lot video. Was under the (false) impression that this all happened together, in which case, I would find her reaction odd. That is, don't send the video if you don't want a reaction.

5. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

You're still a bit off. She sent a video with dialogue of questionable nature (don't think details were given but sexual in nature somehow). Afterwards he noticed that she was in a parking lot through the location settings, and then went to a motel. He asked about the locations in such a way that she got the impression he called her a prostitute.

So all the location stuff was him being nosey, which is why the general response was "mind your own business in the future". If she doesn't bring up where she is and you aren't close enough for it to be normal for you to ask what she's doing in a parking lot for two hours before going to a motel, don't.

6. why?

why? Second Year

High Score:
    Yeah, read the IRC logs as well just now. Makes sense.

7. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

So, first of all, sorry for vanishing for ~2 months. Work started up again and went crazy for a bit, but it's sorted out.

Including my really nice, new office. Which brings me to why I'm in this particular thread. I'm a fan of not wasting space, and while my desk is twice the size of my old one it's narrower. I uploaded a picture though it's probably not to scale.

Basically Desk 1 is VERY narrow, and that's where I want to put my computer. But I prefer my keyboard to be further away from me than it allows, so I want to put something between Desk 1 and the wall to give me at least the illusion of more space. Preferably storage. I'm tempted to find an extra bookcase somewhere and just stick it between the desk and the wall regardless of how silly that would look.

But is there any furniture DESIGNED to go between a desk and a wall to offer more storage?

Attached Files:

8. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can you swap Desk 2 and Desk 1 so that they're oriented like this, just with the wider one where you want the computer?

If it's like my office, the furniture is all modular and made of a lot of pieces, so that it looks like it's all one piece when it's together, but you can actually take it apart and put it back together in any configuration you want. The first thing I did when I moved in was come in on a quiet Friday, take it all apart, and put it it together again how I wanted it.

9. CheddarTrek

I can't, sadly. The desk that goes against the wall is designed to be against the wall - the wall side isn't "finished" for viewing and my cords/feet/legs would be visible.

10. CheddarTrek

Friend suggested I just custom build a small 'table' for my monitor and put the keyboard under it - I have a similar set up here at home with my IKEA desk. I'm handy enough to manage that so might give it a go.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

So lately I've been seeing sponsored posts on FB about fiction contests with a cash prize as well as publication - my first thought it that it's bullshit, or at the very least weighted heavily in favour of the publishers. Does anyone know much about these?

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

I haven't come across those, but I would assume it's a deal where you give up all rights to your work, as in: you might get published, you might get a one-time check, but after that it's completely out of your hands.

13. CheddarTrek

My guess would be the same as Eilyfe, @TheWiseTomato. You probably get a check for the prize, get your story in whatever their publication is, and then it's theirs and not yours.

What are some things that travel freely in the wind? Physical or metaphorical.
    Examples: Leaves, feathers, songs
    Not-examples: Windmills, birds, planes

Don't ask why - takes too long to go into.

14. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

Literal: Pollen, lost balloons, plastic bags, exhaled breath

Metaphorical: Hopes, missed opportunities, dick pics

I really want to know why

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    10/10 would sext again

16. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

Flags torn away from their poles (fabric in geneal); snowflakes; secrets; bookpages; hairs; sand; clouds.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    TOMD is a couple threads that way -->

18. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Thanks. Deleted. If you could delete yours too to help me hide my embarrassing moment I would be grateful

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    Embarrassing moments like these create history here at DLP.

20. CheddarTrek

Thanks you two ^^ Owe you one.