RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. Distaly

Distaly Fourth Year

That would likely be enough to live in Berlin. Rental cost is currently increasing at a crazy speed but that should still be enough to live alone here. I have no idea how expensive Washington is, but Berlin isn't Germanys most expensive city to live in by far.

2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, does anyone with medical knowledge know what it means when you burn yourself and the skin immediately turns a chalky pastel white almost like paint and goes numb?

3. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

Doesn't that mean it's second or third degree?

4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Yeah, that doesn't sound overly good... @TMD @Blorcyn @Rehio care to weigh in? (I think that's the medical department?)

5. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This may be helpful in helping you make a decision, @Krogan. But don't rely on the wisdom on internet sources. Go to a fucking doctor.

6. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Difficult to say without a picture.
    The things you want to think about are, how big is the burn patch, where is the burn patch, how hot or cold was the thing you touched and how long did you touch it for?

The deeper or bigger the burn the longer it'll take to heal and the more likely you are to get an infection as the main barrier to infection is broken.

I'd Google burn first aid and do that, cold water for what will feel like a subjectively long time mostly, if it's not too too long after and you feel like it's worth it.

Cling film can help protect it from infection if it's something you can cling film (we won't judge, you're in a safe space ;) )

Look for if blisters pop up, and if they do, don't pop them, if they keep growing seek help.
    Watch out for getting a temperature or chills, shivers and shakes, seek help if you do.
    At this point in time, don't use any burn gels from the shop. They'll make it worse.
    If you're not in A and E now, and I'm guessing by the fact you came here rather than them you don't feel its too bad, then attend your GP or practice nurse if you can't cope with the pain or you've concerns about it going on or with work/life, to get it tended to, monitored and dressed.

The numbness is probably the death of the sensory nerves in your epidermis which can happy even with first degree burns.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  7. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Med department says Doctor Time.

Lack of pain is not good and is generally indicative of third degree. White color can mean second or third degree.

I mean, I don't know the exact situation or anything, but a doctor can only be a good thing and will give you a lot more help than we can, generally.

8. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

Any recommendations for internal laptop mSATA SSDs? Currently on the ol' 1TB platter mc platterson HDD and looking to upgrade.
    Don't need a full 1TB replacing it but I would like the capacity to run a few VMs, so maybe 250 or 500GB.

Supposedly there's a slot for a m.2 22x42mm SSD but I'm not sure how viable that is as there was supposed to be a 24GB there for expresscache purposes.

9. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I echo what Blorcyn said. Hard to say without a picture, but if in doubt always go see a doctor. The more severe burns can be much more dangerous because they seem like no big deal. It's the more minor first and second degree burns that are really painful, people tend to not have pain (or any sensation) with more severe burns and think it's fine. You're in America so I get that you might not want to go to a hospital/doctor because of bills or insurance bullshit but for what it's worth, if you were in the UK i'd tell you to wrap it in cling film and go to A&E if it looked bad.

10. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thanks for the input folks, I wasn’t terribly concerned since it was just a small part of one finger but I got it checked out and it was a third degree burn. I got meds and a burn salve. I was making dinner at my best friends place and she thought it would be really funny to try and make me jump while I was reaching in the toaster oven and I ended up smacking my finger on a glowing burner.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My hands look like I've got worms with all the burns I've had. I am pretty sure I don't have finger prints at this point in my life. Worse thing ever to forget my towel whenever I'm picking up pans, pots, and baking sheets.

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, I picked up a cast iron pan that had been blasted in the oven for an hour by the handle once. You don't forget that. Can't imagine having to deal with that in a busy kitchen.

13. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

So. I need reccs for my 12yo brother. YA novels. As of now I got:
    Harry Potter
    Peter Jackson (first series)
    Hobbit
    Narnia (the Pevensie books + a horse and his boy)
    Red Rising
    Chinese American Born
    Looking for Alaska
    Dunk and Egg Tales

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hatchet by Gary Paulson

15. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

It's a good series, but it got a bit pretentious and idealistic in the last few books. Also, it's possible that it might come up as a school book. I was probably around 12 when it popped up in my English list.

16. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Rig by Joe Ducie

17. why?

why? Slug Club Member

High Score:
    The first hundred or so issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. Great stuff. Not sure if I’d still be into it now, but pretty consistent until Requiem or whatever the big flood was called.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Only if he can stand to have his heart broken, that is...:p

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. He may have seen the Netflix show. It’s very whimsical.

18. Solfege

Solfege Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Dune. Accompanying series if he can handle it (God Emperor was the first I read and my all-time fav tied w/ Dune, but that goes to show how weird I am).

Edit: Seconding the Terry Pratchett series.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  19. Farhial

Farhial First Year

I have faint memories of it, but Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Sequence is pretty good, I think. Reminds me a tiny bit of both Chronicles of Narnia and Garth Nix's Sabriel, which is another possibility, but at near 500 pages maybe a bit less accessible.

There's also Animorphs, which has plenty of books in the series for a child to chew through if they end up liking them. Artemis Fowl is another option, as are White Fang and Call of the Wild by Jack London.

My Side of the Mountain
    addresses much the same stuff Hatchet does, although the protagonist's isolation is on purpose rather than a result of unfortunate circumstance.

20. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

The bartimeus trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud I believe. Should be in every young man's staple.

The power of five by Antony Horowitz if you want some young horror, possibly.

Finally, Terry Pratchets entire works, but particular his Jonny and the bomb, diggers, and the young adult discworld books like Maurice and his educated rodents, or the Tiffany aching series are worth a look, all generally dealing with moral lessons or the difficulties of aging.