RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

His Dark Materials was a pretty huge impact on me when I was a kid, and I'd absolutely recommend those.

2. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Seconding His Dark Materials (though it comes with a faintly anti-religious bent, this may not be for you), Pratchett, and the Artemis Fowl series. There are probably also a few Neil Gaiman books that are suitable, though definitely not all of them. Look up themes before you go for any of his works. In addition, and not really mentioned: the entire dystopian YA genre. May not be terribly good per se, but they do resonate in that age group, and if you need to stick to Portuguese, more specific books might not have been translated. Keep them (Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, amongst others) in the back of your head for a 'just in case'.

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Seventh Year

Wheel of Time?

If he likes it, he’ll have plenty to read for the foreseeable future.

4. Koalas

Koalas The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Faintly anti religious bent? Maybe the first book. Blatant by the end, though still a good read.

The Redwall books are alright, might a bit young. Seconding The Dark is Rising. Codex Alera. The Giver is always good.

5. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

Some great ideas already. I'd suggest The Edge Chronicles as well.

Although I took the lazy option personally and got someone a Kindle giftcard when I couldn't think of good book ideas.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    DLP, I require assistance.

My boss is throwing a small Xmas gathering for everyone tomorrow and to my unending annoyance there's stupid fucking Secret Santa. Allowed budget is tiny (you'll buy 2 extra big chocolate bars for that), basically we're not making a big deal out if this, but the fact that it has to happen at all is just making me unnecessarily anxious. Moments like these make me say fuck Christmas.

Any ideas? Should I just be boring and wrap a holiday themed sweet snack in holiday-themed wrapping paper? My Secret Santa is a woman, that's all I know. We've met like twice in passing, we work at different locations.

Fuck Christmas, seriously.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Any of Brian Jacques' work, emphasis on the Redwall series. Dresden Files? Good Omens maybe? American Gods maaaaybe? What's another series he's read and enjoyed somewhat recently?

See if you can holler at some of her work friends, find out if she drinks tea or something. You can get like sample size shit from those tea specialty stores that seem to be popping up everywhere these days.

8. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

Small food items are usually best. A small bottle of novelty holiday booze is both bland and pleasing - some of the things I've given this year are mead, nettle wine, toffee liqueur, and the unholy abomination which is vegan chocolate & peppermint Bailey's.

If you have an actual market anywhere nearby, it's often worth taking a look there. A handmade version of exactly the same thing which is in the grocery store is both interesting and generic. Fun flavours of cheese are good for this. Or even soap. I bought somebody a bunch of scented soaps from Lush one secret Santa when I was in your position, and that was a success. TheWiseTomato was right on the mark when he said tea. Whittard is the one closest to me, but I don't know what you have available in the Holy Moose Empire.

The package is a lot smaller, but a giftcard for the budgeted amount can work. Amazon is good. Kindle is better. A store you know she shops at is even better, but that might be hard to pin down.

Failing that, go for the old classic: dick in a box.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Thanks for the input guys.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My experience with secret santa is that if you get a woman you don't know, you can't go wrong with a candle or one of the Lush gift basket things.

11. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Is there any research on the benefits of 24/7 surveillance of housing neighborhoods and it's prevention of crime?
    (googling myself as I post this, finding some references to CCTV failures in London "Despite the intensive CCTV coverage in London, only a measly 3% of street robberies were reported to have been solved using images from the cameras.")

Any sane arguments against the need of multiple camera systems around the apartment buildings?

There is an unhealthy amount of pushing for better surveillance systems at my local community, and owning a single flat leaves me in a noticeable minority of people who oppose the costs and reasoning.

There have been a couple of "incidents" recently, when a phone-scammer ("your son got in a car crash and injured someone else, he needs you to give me cash to stay out of trouble") visited the flat of his victim to pick up the cash, and the already present cameras didn't get a "clear enough picture" to identify him. There was also a fight of a couple of teenagers. Now people are clamoring for ever more expensive and extensive surveillance.

As a part of the housing community I have but a single vote, and it's possible to avoid the fees, but it's gonna cost me more time and possibly money to contest than simply to pay for upgrades if they get voted through by the majority.

Currently out of the three houses in the block, two are already under cameras, with my own building lacking them, but soon that might change.

(Help) ;D

12. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

@Nauro: if you have the manpower and algorithms and make it a priority, you can make Surveillance State a real thing. But you need the manpower, which London does not... perhaps for an apartment complex if you are willing to invest in trained and efficient responders. Plus an expert in security/computational photography to help set up facial recognition/res-interpolation (unless there are APIs out there already).

Classic example of how tech alone can't solve problems --- needs to strategically integrate into a greater response system to see results.

From How I Almost Became a Chinese Spy - reflections on China's Age of Anxiety.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  13. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I value my privacy more than I value the security increase from any CCTV cameras, especially with the increase in cost.

Especially since it's difficult to ensure that the tapes will only be used for crime related issues.

I live in a safe neighborhood, and I have a small insurance against theft or other damages, so that's covered (and friends already call me paranoid for keeping the door locked in an apartment building which requires a code to get into). Why should I "rent" cameras from some security firm with 24/7 surveillance, and potentially have to explain my right to use the common grounds to police such surveillance people could call as part of their protection deal.

I need to somehow prove that adding more and more cameras and entangling a more complex network won't make my neighbors safer to the other people.

Heck, having background checks and physical checkpoints like Airport Security would improve the majority's feeling of safety, but I do not wish to either pay such people or subject myself to such nonsense, yet I fear that that's where we're heading as a neighborhood community.

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does your building complex have its own security employees, or does it contract it out to a service company who does the legwork?

In either case, the cost of upgrading a camera to a newer model is not large.

If it's a contract service and their fee is steep, you're better off taking that avenue.