1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

ROM hack ideas

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So yeah. We have a subforum now.

This is a thread to share and discuss the ideas you've had for hacks of any of the Pokemon games. The twisted collective DLP mind should be able to come up with some pretty epic ideas.

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Er, gotta ask, but do we really need a subforum for this? Can't we just use the Pokemanz group?

Ash
  3. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, I think this is good - it's less exclusive, and we can galvinate more people into helping, I think.

My oldest idea has been Pokeriding - the ability to jump on the back of custom-sprited pokemon and ride them with the same mechanism as a bicycle.

In an ideal world, you'll be able to run cut-trees over and use strength with it, etc... but the logistics would be somewhat impossibly difficult (actually, it might not be, depending on how many action values I can assign to an extra HM spot etc).

Realistically, it'll probably replace the bike. Growlithe will probably be free poke near the start, etc...

4. Seratin

High Score:
    The problem with keeping in the group, Vira, is that DLP is bigger than the small group we have and is gaining new members every day. This is will hopefulyl boost interest and attract other DLPers to join in which is never a bad thing. Unless it's syed.

Pokeriding sounds awesome, Lungs. Riding through Kanto on a Rapidash? Yes please.

5. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Meh, I just don't think it merits a whole subforum. A handful of threads, yes. Anyway, more on topic...

I like hacks that have pokemon-only areas, like in Prism. It's super exciting for some reason. I mean, there is the whole Mystery Dungeon series, I suppose, but that's something different.

Pokeriding is indeed awesome, and so is your idea, Lungs.

Something that I just came up with, that just sounds kinda cool: Harry Potter themed hack. Perhaps one of the ones where you choose to be good or evil. Different magical creatures are the pokemon, obviously. IE: dragon types are just plain dragons, though you have all of the different canon ones to choose from, perhaps with another type thrown in. Mermaids and centaurs and werewolves can be pokemon too, as can house elves. There are a lot of creatures in HP to use. Anyway, there are a lot of problems with my idea, but I had fun imagining it for a little bit.

Yeah, I know most people don't like fakemon....I love 'em, though.
    ...yeah, gonna stop talking aimlessly. Skyrim exhausted my brain >.<

6. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Wait a sec, lemme search...

This is an old idea. In retrospect, kinda stupid but I would definitely be down for playing something like this.

Also, one idea I have always wanted to see in a ROM is the moving floors like in Destiny Deoxys.

7. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

There's also a lot of real-life mythological creatures out there that can be given 'Rowlinization'; just a bit of research/thought is needed.

About creating levels and maps for a ROM hack; what exactly is involved? Is it like creating a gigantic layout in a program like Photoshop, using existing assets such as sprites, or is it all programming...?

8. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Depends on your program, I suppose. AdvanceMap allows you to create a base room with the tilesheets you want, IE city, inside a cave, etc, to the ideal size you want, allowing you to fully customize the map for that route/city/cave.

It also features the Block Editor for inserting other tiles, though aligning the palette to what the original was can be a bitch.

After that you give it how many events(such as trees you cut, pokeballs with items and such), people, signposts, and IIRC, action-tiles for triggering stuff like cut-scenes, that are needed.

It's fairly simple, but knowing how to program scripts/cut-scenes if you want to truly differentiate from the original programming can take a few hours to a few days to get down. On the bright side, it has a handy help guide.

You also need a scripting event for said cut scenes, but thats beside the point.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  9. Seratin

High Score:
    Mattsilver is working on a "hacking basics" thread so the project is more accsessible to people who want to join in and work on it... like me. >_>

10. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    You could always try the Pokecommunity's hacking-tutorials subforum. It's what I did back in ye-old third-generation days.

As for ideas: Not much to contribute. I third Lungs concept.

11. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I always thought it would be neat to play as a wild pokemon. You could fight either wild pokemon to level, or ambush trainers to beat up their pokemon. Maybe use wild breeding to extend the game (i.e. your progeny would follow you around for a few levels, then you could decide who to follow with your story, the kid or the parent), and let you play as different pokemon. There would need to be a lot of in game knowledge givers about pokemon breeding, but I'm sure it could be made to work.

Whore!Ditto aside, can any pokemon breed in multiple groups? I'm terrible at pokescience, but it would be way more interesting to start as a psychic type and sleep my way to water, or something like that. And maybe a % chance to hatch as a legendary of your element.

Trainers could be implemented in interesting ways, maybe allow the player to choose to get caught in order to fight a gauntlet style series of matches. I don't know if it is plausible, but the player would have to have some way of demanding freedom, maybe instead of run as an option, it would be disobey?

It needs a lot of work, and I'm at work so I can't dedicate the time to male an outline of features or ideas that I have in my head, but I thought I would share.

12. Lungs

High Score:
    Not only does it take a lot of work to plan it out... even after years of playing with Assembly, I can't imagine how much of a nightmare it would be to code all of those scripts.

That aside, I love it :3

13. Seratin

High Score:
    And this, ladies and gentlemen is why this thread exists.

14. Ash

15. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    ^Magnificent idea. Would love to see that, and it doesn't sound that far out of the general programming range.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is one hack that I've love to see, which I also think would be relatively simple to implement. It would still involve a fair amount of work, but it wouldn't be technically or artistically demanding.

The idea is this:

I love the original Pokemon games. For me, Pokemon will always be Blue/Red. Which is why I love FireRed/LeafGreen. New Pokemon games are great because they're new, but the original game with the original 150 Pokemon will always be best.

But the problem is that it gets a bit repetitive. You tend towards the same party, or the same kind of party. Especially near the beginning. So my hack idea is this: rearrange Pokemon locations (adjusting levels suitably) so that you encounter different Pokemon in different places, especially near the start.

17. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Does anyone know how to make ROMs work? I mean, so that you can play some of the games other people have made liked Prism or Flora Sky you see on the Pokecommunity forum?

18. Ash

Yes, Andro. IM me on IRC and I can either give you a tutorial (as I've done for a lot of fucking people....) or invite you to a Dropbox I made with some patched ROMs, including Flora Sky. I did the latter because for some reason people (Lungs) seem to constantly ask me for the games. IT'S NOT HARD TO PATCH THEM, LUNGS.

19. Lungs

High Score:
    LOL Ash, me too. multiPMs and stuff XD

Yeah, okay, Ash. It's not like I make romhacks. /butthurt

20. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Is there a way to sort of merge the games together?

Like take BW and merge the maps of of HGSS into it. Scale up the levels of all the Pokemon in the second and third regions. Make all the HGSS pokemons draw info from the BW database for it so all the info is up to date.

Or are the codes inside different enough that HGSS would have to be integrated from scratch?

I kind of want to try my hand at merging the DS games into one universe then try and integrate DPP.