1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Ruined In A Day by Net Girl - T - One-Shot

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by BioPlague, Feb 25, 2007.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Title: Ruined In A Day
    Author: Net Girl
    Rating: Teen
    Genre: Angst/Drama
    DLP Category: Dark Arts
    Pairing: Harry Potter/Ginevra Weasley
    Words: 9,338
    Published: September 24, 2002

Summary: Harry makes a foray into his own dark side ... with shattering consequences.
    Link: Ruined In A Day (FFN)

[​IMG]

Read all the way through.

This is the beginning one-shot in a series of very top-notch one-shots as far as I'm concerned. More than good enough writing, diction and intelligence applied concerning technique and a very good job at building suspense. The middle makes you concern for two things: A) Is this turning into Slash? and after that B) Is this going to be Harry/Ginny? The short answers are no to A and yes to B but reading the entirety of it will enable a very, very satisfactory ending.

The angst and drama headers are appropriate but it's not the bullshit angst you're all probably familiar with and the drama is of the tolerable variety. I like the way this ends. I like the way Draco Malfoy steps in at the end. It provides for some tense discussions in the following one-shots.

I don't want to spoil anything but rest assured I think this is well deserving of Myth status. Thank Cataclysmic for the find.

Also, of course, if you enjoy this one-shot here are the proceeding pieces (sort of making it a short story):

Second Piece: Sea of Sin (FFN) -- Acceptable
    Words: 9,805
    Published: October 4, 2002
    Summary: Sequel to Ruined In A Day. Harry continues his fall into darkness.

Third Piece: Black Celebration (FFN) -- Acceptable
    Words: 14,025
    Published: October 13, 2002
    Summary: Sequel to Ruined In A Day & Sea of Sin. Harry suspects Ron and Hermione know all of his secrets. Will he go to extremes to make sure they never tell a soul?

Fourth Piece: Examination of Conscience (FFN) -- Myth
    Words: 12,413
    Published: Noveber 6, 2002
    Summary: The guilt over his crimes pushes Harry to do the unthinkable. Sequel to RIAD, SOS, Black Celebration.

Fifth Piece: Through A Glass, Darkly (FFN) -- Myth
    Words: 18,225
    Published: April 30, 2003
    Summary: Two years after Harry and his friends have left Hogwarts, the young wizard is brought face to face with his destiny. Will he survive? Will he remain ... Just Harry?

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Oh yes. I was so fucking giddy reading the first two that it makes me sick looking back on it. But it was just that fun to read. :D

The first two stories of the series are definitely the best, followed by the third. I didn't like the ending to the third but the first three-quarters made up for it. The fourth is easily the worst of the series. It's where most of the angst and shit comes to a head, but even with that, it is well written and still an interesting read. The fifth is better than the fourth but not as good as the first three in my book. I really liked the scenes with Lucius Malfoy, and later with Draco and Voldemort though. Especially the end, where Harry grabs 'his' wand.

Something about a truly manipulative Harry just turned me into a cackling loon when I read this. I think I've found my true love in Harry Potter fanfiction, manipulating anti-hero. :)

This is also the one story around where I actually liked Draco Malfoy. His character was pulled off perfectly. This is how he should have been in the books. Harry and Draco's interaction with each other brings many grins.

The scene with the Dursley's was great too. No yelling, no retarded name calling, just cold, hard, facts. It made them nearly piss their pants in fear. I also enjoyed how he rang Hermione on the phone. Such a creepy little bastard.

It's also one of the only serious stories around that I didn't mind the Harry/Ginny elements, at all. But that's probably because I knew he had something sinister in mind. I thought the method he used was just brilliant for her ending. It had me grinning madly.

I definitely agree that this is of 'myth' quality.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  3. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

This is damn good. It truly exemplifies what every Dark!Harry author should strive for. I barely noticed the angsty elements I was so enthralled.

4. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Hey, I have a question. Isn't a series of one-shots something kin to a story? I dunnu, I'm just arguing semantics, feel free to ignore me. I don;t know where this is coming from...I'm gonna go actually read this, then maybe I'll post a REAL review. ;)

5. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

This does indeed deserve the "myth" rating. Thank God it didnt turn into slash. But really this one-shot could have easily been an entry into the Annual Kill Ginny thread.

6. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  7. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Truely Myth status, though I still have no idea why she doesn't connect them all into one story.

This story is so perfect.

5/5

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

The idea is pretty sweet. I loved the cold, ruthless Harry manipulating Ginny into her death.

That said, I don't see what's such a big deal about this story. Yes, the witting style is rather good and Ginny's death chillingly original, but the story itself is far from perfect.

Harry's motivation is suspect at best. It's not like we see some logical progression of his downfall. He just wakes up one day and decide he wants to be Slytherin - and he proves that by killing Ginny, which is as non-Slytherin as it can get.

Slytherin isn't about being a psychopath and doing whatever you want without conscience; it's about following your ambitions by any means necessary. The author missed the point in this regard IMO. She should have made it crystal clear that Harry in fact craved to be free of social pressures and moral obligations; being Slytherin has nothing to do with that (on the contrary - they should have MORE social pressure then the other houses).

Oh yeah, and convo with Malfoy was VASTLY blown out of proportions. I didn't find Harry's argument THAT biting to leave Malfoy speechless. I mean, if he recovered from being transfigured into a ferret in front of everyone, he should damn well recover from some empty backtalk. It seems to me the author built up this dialogue from the outside (by overblowing everyone's reaction to it), rather than make the dialogue itself more interesting/biting (or even longer then 3 sentences).

IMO, this is a fine one shot. Very nice in its own regard. But I really don't see what's all the hype about.
    4.2/5

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  9. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Very nice story, but the setup in a series of oneshots instead of one continuous story was annoying. Malfoy was creepy in a good way, and Ginny's murder was amazing. The openness of the stories was beautifully written. Excellent Dark!Harry, esp the fourth and fifth pieces.

My only complaint was Harry's obsession with Hermione: it doesn't build up and lacks foundation. It's like he simply picked her name out of the air, much like JKR did with Ginny in HBP. The author needed a reason why Harry should pine over her, but never identified it.

4.5/5-One of the best written Dark!Harry fic series I have come across;

10. HomicidalPsychoJungleCat

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Fifth Year

I really enjoyed this series of oneshots, although it being so instead of a story was somewhat weird and a curious way to put it. I thought the way Malfoy was portrayed was perfect. He was what canon Malfoy should have been.

I agree with everyone that Ginny's death was beautifully done and the best that I've ever seen, thumbs up for that.

The stories were strong throughout but kind of dipped in the middle with the third story, although the angst in the fourth story made everything up, it was awesome.

4.5/5 for me.

11. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

This story was awesome, the best potrayal of the malfoys i've seen in a while.

The third story wasn't as great but the ending of the last one more than makes up for it.

12. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

I really enjoyed this series of fics, though I have to say that I found it somewhat unrealistic at points.

If Harry had just openly admitted to murdering Ginny it seemed to me that, regardless of what Hermione wanted, Ron would not have just stopped and gone back to being civil to Harry. Sure he may have believed that he had actually changed at that point, but I really don't think that would make him stop if he was told such a thing, especially considering that he was already consumed by anger before he was told.

Regardless of a few niggling unrealistic points, I really enjoyed this fic. 4.5/5

13. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    This is the first time in a long time I have been so giddy about reading a story. There are few stories that compare with these. This series truly deserves the ranking of 'myth', as even after reading them, I am uncertain as to if I really read them, or if they are a figment of my imagination. 5/5, and more, if I could.

14. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

I really enjoyed this series of one shots.

I have only one complaint, that there were several obvious grammar errors that a beta would have caught. And the structure as a series of one shots was somewhat annoying.

That said I give it a 5/5. It is so rare to have stories where Dark Harry is done right. Hermione is not Herman when she is the love interest. And where Malfoy is done correctly.

15. Maki

Maki Sent Back to India

Very thought provoking the last one paragraph. The whole self-pity in ch 3-4 was believable, but not nice to read. The last chapter in which Herm wanted to stop harry was unbelievable and unrealistic - which totally killed the story for me. However, the ending made up for it.

Overall, a worthwhile read, some aspects deserve the myth and beyond (a few bits i was "WOW") status while others parts should not even be fitting for the bin. (I cant rate this)

I do want to see a sequel for some reason... really badly too.

16. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

So...was the last line an indication of a "joining" of Harry and Voldemort or a Voldemort takes over?