1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Haze

Haze Second Year

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Top 1% that is.

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does that make you uncomfortable? Don't worry, next time I'll add a trigger warning.

4. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

This looks like it's supposed to take place after The Witcher 3, but with what amounts to exactly the same plot - with RWBY characters. Can't say that the " thrust character A into slot B" plot really interests me all that much, even if that is what Geralt usually does in these situations.

5. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's the only reason anyone wouldn't like that plot point. It has nothing to do with it being a cheap, pointless contrivance that has zero impact on Summer as a character or the plot of the story as a whole.

To those interested, don't. The one chapter that we have is a poorly written dumpster fire that does nothing to hook you into reading more unless you enjoy mediocre crossovers.

6. Download

High Score:
    Your reaction to a single chapter is staggering.

---------- Post automerged at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

Has DLP come full circle?

7. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It's an average chapter that has its only noticeable point be that a character was a sex slave for 12 years. Banta was calling it garbage because you are being grumpy for getting called out how stupid that plot device is.

You can't judge something on things that don't exist, and what does exist is rape.

8. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

What's the bloody point of the rape? Unless the author is planning on having this all about dealing with trauma why couldn't she have just been in a magical coma being fed on or whatnot? No need to be edgy, you just need a sleeping beauty + monster scenario.

9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

You make it sound like he dropped some 200k fic after only reading a single chapter, when there is only a single chapter to make a judgement on.

Why even post something with only a single chapter (that's not a one-shot) unless that single chapter was so amazing or novel that it was worth the early hype?

10. Download

High Score:
    It got a one paragraph mention and wasn't played up for drama.

I don't even know what you people are whining about. Way to turn a minor thing into a bandwagon. :rolleyes:

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

See, that's the issue; in this story, it's treated as a minor thing that such a major character was made into a sex slave for no reason, for a long period of time, and...you see no issue with that? Or feel like it says something about how well the author handles and treats major issues regarding his characters?

12. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

But it's not major, Ryuugi! It's just a teensy twelve-year portion of her tragic backstory!

13. fire

fire Order Member

Hi fellow DLPtards, I've been thinking of going into the RWBY fandom, since there does seem to be a lot of good RWBY fics about.

It's just that I don't want to watch the original web animation - partly due to time constraints, but also because I tried once and the animation was just... horrible - jerky and really off-putting. Not bad, relative to the budget Rooster Teeth had, but I'm just used to top-of-the-line full-budget Japanese animation, and this really turns me off.

The question is - can you actually appreciate/enjoy RWBY fanfic with only a passing knowledge of the series, as gotten from reading wiki summaries and the like? I've only tried something like this once - with hawker-748's Rosario+Vampire deconstruction He Who Fights Monsters. I didn't know much beyond the broad plot description of R+V, but still I enjoyed the fic greatly - it was brilliant, possibly one of the best works of fanfiction ever written. The problem, I imagine, is that R+V is kind of just a shitty harem story without much of a plot, while RWBY is supposed to have world building that is massively important to know, along with a clearly-defined plotline. I'm afraid reading RWBY with only a broad description will kind of be like reading Worm without actually reading what Wildbow wrote - a waste of time?

Thoughts?

14. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I myself have only passing knowledge of RWBY but I do enjoy some of the fanfics out there. Of course, an occasional quick-wiki to solidify some confusions I have helped but it's recommended to have a basic knowledge of the series.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Speaking as someone who's read and enjoyed a number of RWBY fics without seeing more than maybe 8 minutes out of the entire series (and for the exact reason you laid out), I'd say it's not a major problem at all. The story-telling in the show is not exactly complex; thus far, it's a "fantastical high school" thing with some heavy-handed allegorical underpinnings about racism and extremism, and the world can be summed up as: four huge cities in the world are the only safe place for human beings, there's an extinction-level magical animal threat called the Grimm, and the faunus, or humans with animal traits (cat ears, antlers, etc), are basically black folks in the American South circa 1960, complete with their equivalent of the Black Panthers.

If you know all that, you know enough to enjoy RWBY fics.

16. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Yeah I've only watched like the first few minutes of the the first episode and couldn't stand it. Most fanfics generally re-iterate the main characters personality and abilities early on anyway so you'll have a general gist of the story in a few fics.

17. fire

fire Order Member

Thanks for the replies! Glad to know the RWBY fandom is accessible without watching the show itself.

I'm currently reading Professor Arc, which is pretty charming, but also (given the nature of the story) seems to be a pretty good introduction to the RWBY world itself, since Jaune basically knows jack-shit coming into Beacon, and has to learn as he goes - while everything else is wiki-checkable.

18. fire

fire Order Member

Double-posting, but whatever.

This thread is pretty dead, but I'll be interested in hearing what everyone's top 3 recommendations for RWBY fanfiction are.

@Jarik

I recall you mentioning that the fandom is somewhat overrun with Jaune-wank stories, and from my brief experience that seems undeniable and unfortunately true - but out of interest, are there any Jaune-centric stories which you would recommend, that isn't like one of the Godlike!Naruto stories where he wtfpwns everyone and (of course) makes a harem of all the female characters.

19. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I wasn't asked, but the best Jaune centered story is probably Arc of the Revolution.

20. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The best is probably Gentle Art of Making Enemies, even with all its silly shit.

Hemingway is probably a close second.

The Mafia AU series is pretty cool.

Basically anything written by Xekstrin, CourierNinetyTwo and Liara_90.

Some weird stuff in some of the stories and, obviously, femslash. Honorable mention to my stories, obviously. ;)