1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Two schools for kids sort of the same ages. You could, I guess, do some manner of transfers?

I've actually tasked whoever's doing my secret santa of doing a crossover, with Voldemort and Harry in Remnant, each with their own unique weapon and semblance. No idea how that'll work out, mind you.

I think you'd almost have to throw Harry and the gang into Remnant, not the other way around, but I still don't know how their magic would fit into that world.

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Hmm, that's not a bad idea, actually. As far as fitting magic together goes, Glynda Goodwitch is a pretty good HP analogue. I actually thought she had a wand for a while, until I realized it was a riding crop... and let's just drive right past that one.

But, yeah. She's definitely got some kind of Reparo spell. And the way she fights Cinder in the first episode is loosely similar to a really good wizard/witch using Transfiguration in combat.

Huh. Yeah, still not seeing RWBY characters in the HP universe - I mean, at this point as soon as I see the phrase "transfer student" in a HP fanfic, I'm out - but importing a few select HP characters and making them Glynda-style fighters with weaponized wands... there might be something to that.

3. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Ranma 1/2 might be closer in setting to RWBY than Harry Potter. You know, if you do the student transfer thing... or pokemon.

4. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

First thing that popped into my head is Hogwarts being the equivalent of Beacon and the students there are learning to defend against the Grimm that have overrun their world.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wouldn't be much of a crossover, really, but I do like the idea of a Harry Potter world where Hogwarts is Beacon for all intents and purposes and the magic they learn there is to combat magical creatures who are overrunning the earth. May or may not be Grimm, although I guess that the HP world has enough creatures who would be a danger if they were numerous enough.

But yeah, that's something else and not really a crossover.

The girls in HP wouldn't really be that interesting and I have zero interest in Harry dropping into Remnant and wowing everyone with his magic. Really don't think the two would mix all that well.

6. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I'd actually prefer a decent Naruto/crossover with RWBY. It kinda fits better than HP imo. Beacon is training students to become Hunters for the survival of mankind whereas HP teaches students so they can be productive to society. Nothing apocalyptic though.

7. Nemrut

High Score:
    Not going to lie, there is a reason why I, and if I were to hazard a guess many people, are reading mostly SI fanfics now in Naruto, and that is because I am sick and tired of all these Naruto centric fics. I can stomach him as a side character in the SI stories or when a talented writer such as Menace breathes new life into him, as a matter of fact, Menace is probably the only one in years who has made Naruto an appealing and new character and he does so in every story he writes.

So, a story where Naruto gets dumped into the RWBY world and builds a harem or gets paired with one of the girls, and let's face it, that's what most stories would be like, is one I would rather not see.

8. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

And that is why I said a "decent" Naruto fic. Because really, we all know that most Naruto/RWBY crossover fics are just the generic "dump Naruto in RWBYverse and kick some ass."

Now, if we are talking about a talented author writing a fic about a crossover fic of RWBY, I'd rather see a Naruto/RWBY than a HP/RWBP because really... MAGIC with uhh... hybrid gun-scythe, and some magic shooting sword is not gonna cut it with HP for me.

P.S SI Naruto is mainly self-wank. I don't read it sorry. The only S.I Naruto fic that's worth reading is Dreaming of Sunshine and even that, I'm not to excited about.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And what? Aura and semblances aren't magic? :rolleyes:

---------- Post automerged at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

Also, I've never read a decent SI fic in my entire life, regardless of fandom.

10. Nemrut

High Score:
    I really have no desire to take up the SI discussion again, we have a thread for that and you are welcome to your opinion, no matter how much I disagree with your premise. Indeed, I bitterly regret mentioning them at all, as I should have anticipated obligatory "well, I hate SI's comments". Entirely my fault, I apologize.

That said, I am not seeing that much potential for a Naruto cross, tbh. Dumping whoever from Naruto into Remnant would be meh, unless it is some pretty good author doing so. The reverse, the girls landing in the elemental nations might have a bit more potential, but dunno what the purpose would be. "dump x in y" is not a plot after all.

Fusions might be the way to go, either having Grimm prowl the lands in Naruto, and Beacon being a hidden village dedicated to battling them whereas the other villages do both, normal missions and Grimm hunts.

I could imagine that Hunters and Huntresses would be a lot like the Grey Wardens and the Nights Watch in that scenario, a neutral, apolitical military force where warriors from every nation, village and clan come to serve for mankind.

Only I would make it so that it would be a more temporary office. Or a requirement for a chunin to become a jounin is to serve two years as a hunter/huntress. Of course, there are those who can do so permanently. Naturally, it can also be a punishment, to serve in the more dangerous places permanently for traitors and whatnot. Right of Conscription a la Grey Wardens could be interesting, but that would require some thought to implement

Could be interesting, of course, with people from different villages and clans being forced to fight alongside each other. Grudges and politics and all. Being a fusion, that faction would be led, of course by Ozpin and staffed by various other RWBY characters.

Weapons might be a problem since the Naruto world simply does not have the weapons, but you could just handwave it away to a degree. Simply say seals and chakra for dust, aura and semblances and as to bullets and guns, well, maybe that technology is for hunting Grimm only. That would require a good explanation as well.

That's just my two cents, of course, no idea if that concept has promise but I would be interested in reading something like that.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Seems fairly obvious to explain that as the Grimm having a weird physiology as regards to chakra and the guns are really just complicated seal-driven devices that fire intangible balls of force that only interact with the Grimm due to their weird physiology (off the top of my head, something like the bullets are simple chakra that only interact with other chakra and the Grimm's super-dense chakra coils are the only ones thick/dense enough to have a meaningful reaction to them).

Then you could have an arc or two in the story about some seal master figuring out how to alter the guns to daamge ninja or something too :p

12. Nemrut

High Score:
    It sounds good enough, even if it is a bit forced to explain things like sniper rifles but it works. Besides, we just want the excuse to justify the presence of the awesome weapons, after all. No one really cares about the logic of the RWBY weapons, after all and to have the characters but losing the weapons would be a crime.

13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

[​IMG]

New Project: Solitary with Neo [Harry/RWBY] - At the graveyard Harry grabs on to the Cup and Cedric's body as spells from Death Eater's collide with him. He is transported to Remnant where he lands in the middle of a street holding a dead body. At odds with the law of the strange and dangerous new world he falls in with a mute girl, Neo. Together they fight the system to save the disenfranchised and Harry falls deeper into the criminal world. All the while Harry tries to find a way back home to warn them of Voldemort's rebirth. Possible pairings with Neo or Cinder or Weiss.

3K words in. And I have yet another, fusiony idea as well.

14. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Nuhuh you are my hero for writing a story featuring Neo heavily.

15. Crimson Bolt

Crimson Bolt Squib

Could I get a link to Menace's profile or one of their stories?
    (edit: This has been taking care of)

I think there could be some potential in dumping either Hinata or Neji into the RWBY world once they are more experienced and of comparable ages. Their eye shenanigans are not completely broken nor do they have unlimited energy. Their general skill set should not stand out nearly as much compared to Naruto. Of course, there would still need to be a plot. White Fang, Cinder alliance, war, Grimm invasion etc.

That story sounds interesting. I would give it a read.

Also, new Professor Arc chapter up for any who missed it. I have not read it yet.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  16. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Nuhuh you beautiful bastard, you manned up!

I'm gleefully awaiting the arrival of this fic.

17. OneirosTheWriter

OneirosTheWriter Second Year

Well played, sir, haha.

18. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Just finished reading Soulbound as well as the two chapters of the sequel. It has some really nice moments, but they're bracketed by a LOT of ponderous prose.

It's extreme canon rehash - by design - which kind of compounds the problem. The extra bits, especially dealing with Blake and Weiss and their pasts, are pretty solid, but there are times when there are 2-3K words where you know what's going to happen, the author belabors the point, and the prose kind of extends into these long, ponderous strings that just bog down the narrative.

But, still, some great moments. I really appreciated how uncompromising the characterization of Weiss was. In her internal PoV, even during the end where she's softened up a bit, she's still pretty ice-cold - pragmatic, manipulative, very aware of her own goals. It's tempting with characters like that to make them "cold exterior hides hidden vulnerability," but the braver characterization is to really embrace it and make it a real part of her character. Yes, she's got some lonliness and some warmth, but that's not the "real" her, any more than her extreme pragmatism is the "fake" her. It's all a part of the whole, which I thought this fic captured really well.

One huge but kind of nitpicky turn-off was how many times the writer used some alternative to characters' actual names. It spawned this post in the Pet Peeve thread, and got to the point where every time I saw Weiss referred to as "the heiress," my eyebrows twitched.

Still, pretty solid.

19. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just when I was going to post something about having zero interest in any HP/RWBY or Naruto/RWBY fanfic as a concept, Nuhuh goes and posts a summary that actually sounds like it could be awesome.

20. OneirosTheWriter

OneirosTheWriter Second Year

Yeah, I think its pretty crucial for Weiss to keep an edge to her character and behaviour. Easy trap to fall into to play melt the Ice Queen and go overboard. You don't want to make a damsel out of her that needs to be saved. It actually wrecks a lot of what makes Weiss an interesting addition to the team dynamic.

God, that made self-conscious enough to run a search on my WIP chapter (which turned up Weiss:Heiress ratio of 127:8).

Have to break up the monotony from time to time though, I start to go cross-eyed when I just see the same name ad nauseum through a scene.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015