1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Sanctuary of Arda by Keiran Halcyon - LotR - R

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Sanctuary of Arda
    Author: Keiran Halcyon
    Rating: R
    Pairing : Harry/hawt elf girl
    Crossover: Lord of the rings (set way before the books)
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 74,761
    Updated: September 12, 2004
    Published: June 6, 2004

Summary:
    Harry is desperate after the events at the Ministry and the subsequent revelation of the Prophecy. He cannot imagine how he could even begin to fulfill it in the next two years. But when an opportunity to solve that problem arises, he takes it with arms wide open.
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/keiran_halcyon/SOA.html

This is the best HP/lotr crossover in my opinion. It's abandoned, but has so many words that it still makes a good read. The first chapter's a bit wierd (some DBZ stuff in there which I didn't undrestand) but once the LotR crossover part starts (ch2) it gets good. Basically Harry gets stuck in Middle Earth at the start of the second age (I think its the second age at least) and at the same time as carrying on his wizard training he also does the training that elves go through. Anyway, I would highly recommend reading it.

Checked by Minion, January 11, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  2. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Alright correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't goblins notice the Weasley's vault suddenly filling and take it back? And why didn't Harry just wish Voldemort away?

Edit: The start of the story really sucked in my opinion, but it really picks up when he gets to Middle Earth.

3. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    :O_O: OMG! An LotR/HP crossover without slash? HOLY CRAP!! Its usually Harry/Legolas or something...

4. sephiroththebrokenangel

sephiroththebrokenangel Fourth Year

lord of the rings fic

its nice to see a non-slash LOTR/HP fic and the fact that one finally exsists would usually be enough to get me to try and read it but i just dont like first person fics, for some reason they just annoy me

5. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Great story, I read it a while ago and it's one of my favourites, though I think her other hp/lotr fic is better, its called 'Banished'.

6. noddwyd

noddwyd Third Year

hidden under the floorboards, in tiny pieces.
    I agree banished was better but I just wish they'd finish it. only needs about two more chapters really.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

While rare, there are two good Harry Potter/LotR's crossovers on this site already that dont have slash. Maybe you guys should try them. I'll have to read this tomorrow.

8. Kid Leo

Kid Leo First Year

I loved this story and I usually don't like crossovers.

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yeah, and the best thing is that the author has decided to continue writing it so it's not abandoned anymore.

10. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

good story can't wait to see what happens next

11. I know this thread is months old...

...But this author's HP/LoTR stories are much too good to pass up--go to www.sugarquill.net and search for "murasaki99"!! They're excellent.

12. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

oh man. This has to be one of the oldest fics i've ever read and right now i think to my self "Wow, its still here in fanfiction." seriously i love this fic and one of my favorite that got abandoned. defenatly worth a read.

13. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Wow! plain and straight to the point. I enjoy long stories that have an understandable plot with some good character development. This is a fic i've just finished reading and i hounestly think if i had the time at present i'd go back and read it again simply because it hounestly took me by surprise at how entertaining it is.

If what Taure say's is true and that the author has picked it up again i think i'l find my self in a semi-orgasmic state...ok maybe nt quite but fairly close.

14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Definitely one of the best crossover fics I've read, and one of the best general fics I've read, too.

5/5, an enthralling, exciting read.

This is like that Harry/Bellatrix one that was a crossover with LotR, another highly reccommended read. Its on FicWad somewhere, smut and all.

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Well, the author was going to take it up again, and apparently got a way into writing the next chapter, but then also they started writing the HP/Stargate crossover An Ancient's Journey, which is also a very good read.

So it will probably be quite a while before an update.

16. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Despite the crappy first chapter, and absolutely ridiculous first wish from the Dragon Ball, it's a very good fic. 4/5, IMO. 1 star off for the first chapter.

17. mielterron

mielterron Second Year

Despite the fact that the fic is dead, 4/5 for an interesting crossover without too much crap.

18. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Its not quite dead, but on a rather long hiatus. Earlier this year the author announced that they were writing for it again and nearly had a complete new chapter. However the author then began to write 'Ring of the Ancients', a Sg1/HP crossover. So no idea when they are going to get back to this fic.

19. dr4ehead

dr4ehead Squib

Despite this originally having been put up for review about 5 years ago (and having been written roughly 2 years before that) it has aged rather well. As many have noted, the first chapter is quite terrible. However, once you make it through the rest is quite enjoyable.

The one thing that bothers me is the sheer amount of time that passes. Harry was sent to the LotR world so he could train to defeat Voldemort but he ends up spending way too much time there. With how much time passes I can't imagine that Harry would still feel connected to his home world. The one time when Harry does think of his home world in the third chapter just feels wrong; at 350+ years away his feelings for the people he knew should have been more dulled.

In fact, I don't believe I would like this story as much if it got to the point where Harry returned; 2500+ years is a far too long time away. Maybe it was for the best that the author never completed it...

tl;dr
    What has been written is great and I highly recommend it.

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

After Harry is integrated into the Lord of the Rings world, the plot disappears. The writer just had a timeline open on some LotR wiki page somewhere and wrote Harry into Middle Earth's history.