Culinary Sandwiches, the real Ambrosia

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by pbluekan, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Rah

Rah Auror

Some weird British sandwich my sister got me onto.

Whole wheat bread, Branston pickle spread, lettuce, tomato, thick slice of cheddar, and salt and vinegar chips for a nice crunch when you bite into it.

Besides that a classic BLT with a spicy mayo (maybe sriracha or franks red hot or something more exotic if I have it on hand) and american or pepperjack cheese. Bread depends but I like foccacia or baguette.

Then there's the classic crispy chicken sandwich, a bread roll, crispy fried chicken (homemade spicy buttermilk chicken fried twice is my favorite), a sauce (mayo, hot sauce, relish, a little ketchup, a little vinegar) lettuce, tomato, and maybe some pickled red onions if I have any.

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sandwiches with Chips are awesome.

I like onion rolls a lot, I make them all the time. So I usually use that as the bread for everything.

So, some sandwiches I make with this.

Onion Roll, White Cheddar, spicy mayo (just sriracha and dukes mixed(I also sometimes make my own mayo)), shredded beef, kosher dill pickles sliced at an angle, iceburg lettuce for texture and salt-and vinegar chips for crunch.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. I make apple butter and strawberry freezer jam year round so I always have some on hand. Split top white bread or wheat bread, layer of peanut butter (almond butter, pistachio butter, or cashewbutter works), fiery hot Cheetos, and then the freezer jam.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. why?

why? Third Year

High Score:
    A chip (whether "French" fries or crisps) sandwich with butter and hot sauce (sriracha or plain sambal oelek) is delicious. I have a very distinct memory of eating that while watching Dragon Ball Z on a Saturday when I was a little boy.

Almond butter is delicious. I once tried a mixed nut butter that had almond, peanut, walnut and likely a bit of hazelnut too. That was the creamiest. The best. I'd just have that on toasted bread with hot chocolate on the side. Admittedly, I've only tried to replicate it once, but the results were so bad I haven't tried since. I may have burnt some of the nuts while roasting them though.

But I'm rambling now.

My favourite sandwich is really simple. It's just whatever bread I have on hand, toasted with some butter on the pan, and filled with a few slices of fried smoked ham (my fav is Black Forest, but regular bacon works too) preferably fried and grated cheddar or gruyere. No idea if that's a "thing" - it's just a few things I liked thrown together.

4. pbluekan

pbluekan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It’s not peanut butter, but honey butter only gets more amazing when you add chile ancho to it. (Dried ancho chilies (poblano) soaked in water, diced, and mashed into tiny pieces mixed into hot honey and softened butter. It’s like heaven on toast.

Back to sandwiches. Spicy salami with thick cut bacon and provolone cheese on a sweet and crusty hoagie. Toast the fucker and then add spinach, some black olives, and pepprocini. Maybe a dash of honey mustard.

5. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

I didn't pack a lunch today so I grabbed a sandwich from Tesco: shock and horror, they had a sandwich which was actually fantastic.

Pumpkin and chili falafels with crunchy pickled vegetables, spinach, roasted red pepper hummus, harrissa, and all served on tomato bread.

6. Threadmarks: The One Sandwich
    KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

The dungeon. Not in the girls' toilet. No sir.
    High Score:
    [​IMG]

Behold - The Lasagna Sandwich

Ingredients
    1. 9x13 baking dish
    2. 25 oz. container of your favorite pasta sauce
    3. 1/2 lb. ground beef
    4. 16 oz. of Ricotta cheese
    5. Shredded mozzarella cheese
    6. Grated parmesan cheese
    7. 2 jumbo eggs
    8. Extra virgin olive oil
    9. Garlic salt
    10. Garlic powder
    11. Fresh basil
    12. Dried oregano
    13. Black pepper
    14. Medium-sized onion
    15. Sliced brioche bread
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions on box.
    2. Cook ground beef and ¼ cup chopped onion over medium heat until browned. Add garlic salt to taste. I ended up spicing up the sauce by simmering it on low heat and adding 2 tsp. of basil paste, 1 tsp. of dried oregano and ¼ tsp. of black pepper. Add meat to sauce.
    3. In medium bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, 2 eggs, 1 tsp. garlic powder, ¼ tsp. of black pepper, ½ tsp. of salt; mix well.
    4. To assemble: Spread ½ cup tomato sauce in the pan to prevent sticking. Place three strips of lasagna noodles on bottom of pan. Spread ¾ cup of ricotta mixture evenly over noodles, then with ¾ cup of sauce mixture. Top with ¾ cup mozzarella and 1 tbsp. of parmesan. Repeat layering. Top with one more layer of lasagna noodles, then spread ¾ cup of sauce over it. Tent foil to prevent sticking and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle more mozzarella and parmesan on top, then bake for 5 more minutes to melt cheese. When finished, let it sit for about 15 minutes so it won’t be all goopy in sandwich form.
    5. And now for the garlic bread! Melt a ½ stick of butter with 2 tbsp. of olive oil in microwave. Stir in ½ tsp. garlic powder. Spread evenly on two slices of bread and grill until each side is golden brown.
    6. For optional basil spread: Mix together 2 tbsp. finely-chopped fresh basil (packed down), 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, ⅛ tsp. black pepper, ⅛ tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese. Spread on garlic bread slices.
    7. Cut a slice of lasagna about 6 x 3 ½ inch wide. Place in between bread slices, cut in half and devour that mutha!

TLDR - Make lasagna. Make Garlic Bread. Put lasagna between two slices of garlic bread.

You're welcome.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This must be what an epiphany feels like for religious people.

8. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean I knew it was possible. I am an Italian chef after all.

9. pbluekan

pbluekan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I could see this going well with a nice piece of salty foccacia instead of garlic bread.