1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

SCI-FI Alternate Universe HP?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by xvector, Nov 14, 2014.

1. xvector

xvector Second Year

Hi, all,

I've just finished reading Joe's trilogies, Ruskbyte's Backwards Compatible, and probably one of my most favorite so far - Ruskbyte's Culture Shock. The Sci-fi filter on FFN excludes sci-fi fics that don't have the genre listed.

The whole sci-fi alternate universe really appeals to me. Culture Shock was probably one of the most interesting fics I have read. Sci-fi, in a way, forces the author to explore a world (or time) beyond Hogwarts, adding infinitely more substance to the fic.

I don't care if it's "dark" or not, and the more AU the better. I don't like slash, but if the fic is good enough that I can ignore it, go ahead and post it. If it's an xover, it's fine as long as I can understand the fic without reading the relating xover.

I'd love to see what you all have read in this category!

2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Darth Marrs has a bunch of crossovers (mostly Star Wars).

Larry Huss wrote an HP/Original Fiction (Sci-Fi) fusion with an OC as the main character - Out of the West.

3. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

• The Star Empire: The Succession of Magic by RahXephon features an Evil!Rapist!SpacePirate!LastWizard!Manipulative!Harry Potter in the future. Tt's better, that it sounds, but sadly, seems abandoned (last update was more than a year ago). And the uncensored version was taken down is nowhere to be found, sadly. If anyone has it, PLEASE send me a copy.
    • The Voyage of the Starship Hedwig by Ynyr - Trelawney makes a prediction of a muggle genocide against wizards, so Harry and allies make a magical space ship and go off to space.
    • This Crude Matter by Ynyr - Sequel of the story above. Crossover with Star Wars.
    • "Disillusion, by Hermione Granger" by esama - Harry Potter breaks the Statute of Secrecy, introduces mankind to magic and leads humanity as a whole into a brighter future. I suck at summaries, but this story indeed kicks ass.
    • [CaerAzkaban] Magical Space Race (An HP Alternate Universe One Shot) - Magic was revealed to the world and humanity went to space and probably encountered some bad shit out there. Was posted on the mailing group CaerAzkaban, as the name sez.
    I'd love to read more Sci-Fi HP-verse stories myself.

4. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Browncoat, Green Eye's is one of my favourite stories. It's a firefly crossover set in that universe.

Just google it, phone is really playing up not letting me paste shit.

5. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

wastelands of time, heartlands of time
    and the fic by perfect lionheart

6. theminikiller

theminikiller Third Year

7. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

JBern had an interesting thing going with The Next Lord of Kobol- HP/nBSG crossover.

Summary: Carried to the far end of the Galaxy by the veil in the Department of Mysteries, Harry Potter becomes a veritable stranger in a strange land. But all the obstacles he has faced pale in comparison to the Cylon menace. Starts in the middle of Harry's fifth year and roughly eleven years before the fall of the Twelve Colonies.

Crossover - Harry Potter & Battlestar Galactica: 2003 - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Sci-Fi - Chapters: 12 - Words: 52,818 - Reviews: 638 - Favs: 983 - Follows: 1,112 - Updated: Mar 1, 2013 - Published: Nov 17, 2012 - Harry P., M. Edmondson/Racetrack

8. golan

The Star Alliance by RahXephon - The year is 2599 and the Hogwarts Training Fleet of Witchcraft, Wizardry and Space Travel is accepting the latest batch of magician cadets. A bewildered Harry Potter enters a world of starships, intrigue and interspecies war while exploring new worlds and meeting diverse alien races. Yet will the human race be able to maintain its monopoly on magic? Sci-fi space era AU.

9. Syno

Syno First Year

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum by In Defilade[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]AU. Abducted by Loki, rescued by Thor, Harry grows up fast in a much wider universe than he ever imagined existed. Trained extensively by the Asgard, he is now ready to set his own course in life. The Goa'uld need to be dealt with, and he has questions concerning his own past and powers - the answers to which will only be found on Earth, at Hogwarts ... whatever the hell that is.

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just started reading The Voyage of the Starship Hedwig and while the writing is good the idea that muggles would unanimously agree to commit genocide is ridiculous.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Really? I found the writing terrible. Harry is an asshole for literally no reason. He doesn't keep his asshole nature to himself, he treats all his friends like shit. It wasn't even the war that made him like that, he was an asshole before it started. He doesn't know how to portray anyone, except for maybe Neville. Harry, Hermione, and Ginny are way OOC -- ESPECIALLY Ginny who basically wants to kill anything with a pulse.

I couldn't read any further after Harry decides to name the new planet Lily despite everyone else trying to think up of good names.

12. xvector

xvector Second Year

I've also started The Voyage of Starship Hedwig, and it really is a parody/humor. None of the writing seems to be intended to be taken seriously. I, personally, thought the terrible writing was the author's attempt to portray terrible, clichéd fanfiction.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

It's listed as Sci-Fi, and that's it. First author's note said nothing about being a parody, and honestly the writing of the first chapter was kinda wooden. I don't think it's a fic mocking other bad fics, I think it actually is one of those bad fics.

14. golan

15. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The planet is actually covered in a sentient plants that demands that Harry stops calling the planet Lily.

I got the impression Harry had just been once again lumped with a ridiculously important prophecy and was now at his wits end thus him being a dick to everyone.