1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Searches that don't require their own threads.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jormungandr, Aug 13, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

That's definitely Malachite series by Lazov.

2. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

I'm looking for the AU story with five Houses in Hogwarts (Remus Lupin is a head of the fifth house), wizards not using wands, and Neville being arrogant BWL. Ginny or Twins are resorted to the fifth house because they don't want to be Gryffindors anymore.

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was the fifth house the laughing stock of school and given lower quality everything because that's where most muggleborns went or something?

4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

What qualifies as a search that doesn't require it's own thread?

Also, any Harry/Hermione stories that feature the two in a decent, realistic relationship with perhaps a good focus on Harry using his brain and working hard in Hogwarts? I don't want to read anything that reduces Harry to going to Hermione for everthing or a Hermione that is smarter than everyone else in the world.

5. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

Yes.
    As I remember, Harry and Co turned it around by convincinv House Elves to give them 'normal' food.

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Generally, if you're trying to find a specific fic, that doesn't need its own thread and should get asked here. If you're trying to compile a list (that hasn't been done already), that could be its own thread, such as "Are there any good Harry in Hufflepuff fics?"

If unsure, err on the side of caution.

7. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Anybody have a recommendation for a fic similar to out of the night? I reread it recently and was Lagan disappointed by the fact that it's abandoned

8. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm looking for a fic. The only thing I remember is the ending.

Snape is brought out of some kind of stasis and then he had some kind of orientation because he was in stasis so long. Also there was some big Potter enterprise thing that made everything. IT ended with Snape yelling.

Probably a very bad fic, but I'm curious.

9. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

10. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Nah, the scene I described happened in the epilogue. And it wasn't crack fic.

11. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I know the fic you're talking about. I don't remember what it's called, but it was terrible.

Basically, Lily meets Harry in the King's Cross Purgatory, where she proceeds to Bash Dumbledore and the Weasleys to extreme levels. It turns out Dumbledore made the Dursleys evil and Voldemort is just a misunderstood person driven insane by having his soul ripped apart (which was of course Dumbledore's fault).

Afterwards, Lily goes back in time and singlehandedly overrules a large portion of Dumbledore's manipulations.

It ends up where within a year Voldemort (via Quirrel) turns into a nice guy, gets Dumbledore, Snape, and every known death eater arrested or killed, becomes Headmaster, and singlehandedly reform Hogwarts to insane levels (including taking all the fun out of Quidditch).

Also, Harry ends up in a basic three-way relationship with Hermione and Luna, and they proceeded to rule the Wizarding World because of their awesomeness and sheer brilliance.

And if anyone is telling themselves this Fic sounds terrible, that's because it is.

12. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    lily's Changes

I only remembered the epilogue, so yeah it was terrible, but thanks. His other story Power of Paranoia is a guiltypleasure favorite of mine. I'm just sucker for a a relatively good Luna/Harry story.

13. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Huh, Power of Paranoia is actually not that bad. I'm not going to say good, but certainly a decent time-waster.

14. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Lily's changes is a nice piece of "Evil Dumbledore". Voldemort turning "Not evil" was explained by his soul being restored from his horcruxes, and so he regained his sanity. Certainly not that much worse than the canon stupidity of "Blood wards, powered by love, even though you were living in an abusive house hold". Lily going back as a ghost and warning her friends is also not really far off for time travel fics. Voldemort killing most death eaters in an ambush is vertainly perfectly fine with his canon power level.

So, it's mostly "Evil Dumbledore & Weasley" and "People reform the magical world" which are left - more a matter of taste.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Poor taste, yes. Don't feel bad about it, not many people get to start with the absolute best of HP fanfics, so it takes some time to refine your palate.

16. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

"Absolute best" is quite relative when it comes to plots and tropes. I do need to suspend my disbelief quite a lot whenever Dumbledore is not portrayed as either evil or inept, since his canon (in)actions do not make much sense otherwise. I've just got a slight distaste to seeing child abusers being portrayed as good characters, mind you. It makes me judge fics a bit more harshly.

Not to mention that far too many here hate Hermione, which is my favorite character. I just like smart heroes more than brawny or lucky ones - especially smart, brave ones who are ready to stand up for their beliefs no matter what an ignorant society thinks of them.

17. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Wait what?

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Wait, what? Have you been mixing up fanon with canon? I'll grant you that Dumbledore was aware that Harry's life with the Dursleys was not a comfortable one, and that yes, Harry had all rights to be pissed off for being manipulated and used (though throughout it all Dumbledore still worked hard on making sure that Harry had a chance at surviving the stacked deck that fate arranged against him), but a child abuser? No. A most vehement "no" to such a preposterous accusation.

Welcome to the internet, and life in general, where people have different opinions on all sorts of thing and have no qualm whatsoever about vocalizing them.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Canon Dumbledore is not a child abuser, he is a plot device that Rowling used to dispense wisdom to Harry (and occasionally make things happen to him as well). Ascribing human motivations to him is silly in this context.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Canon Dumbledore explained his actions perfectly well in OotP: he believed that if he hadn't left Harry with the Durlseys, then Harry would be dead. Clearly neglect > death.

Since he knows far more about both magic and the political situation that we do, there's no reason to disbelieve him.

Not open for further replies.