1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Culinary Secret ingredients

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Download, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sirian

Sirian First Year

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

[​IMG]

Add it to black beans or pinto beans or pork or all of the above together. It's really amazing shit.

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

Not sure if a secret ingredient, but a bit acidity makes many things better. Just a squirt of lemon juice is often enough.

4. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Been adding crushed red pepper to most savory dishes I can get away with.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I love spicy in my food, but my mother can't stand even the mildest types of chili flakes. ;_;

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like adding it to my pizza sauce.

7. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

8. Melkor

Melkor Squib

Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

You name it and I have at some point or another used Lawry's in it or on it, which I blame my grandmother for since she does the same thing.

Goes especially well in soup or chicken fried steak.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whenever I get fresh tomatoes I like to slice one up and root through my spice cabinet for sprinkle topping. Lawry's is okay... but if you're a fan of pre-seasoned salts, you should try Emeril's Bam! Essence; it has much higher proportion of Paprika than Lawry's or the McCormick copycat Season-All, and I've found it to just be tastier.

Or, if you like a little heat in your salt you could go with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.

Or, if you're from Maryland just PUT SOME OLD BAY ON THAT SHIT, EAT IT, THEN HUFF OLD BAY STRAIGHT! HNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG OLD BAAAAAAAAY!

[​IMG]

PS Old Bay is fucking delicious and you should put it on everything. Makes excellent brine for pickling veggies too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  10. Melkor

Melkor Squib

Heh, I do the same thing, but only with salt and pepper.

Might give Emeril's a try.
    Already have that, goes well with potatoes, beans, and chuck roast.
    Alas, no store near where I live carries Old Bay at the moment.

11. Zombie

High Score:
    I think if they could shoot Old Bay directly they would.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Oh we totally would, and we would manage to find some way to mix it with Natty Boh and ground up bits of our fugmazing state flag.

13. Zombie

High Score:
    When I make chicken I use leftover pickle juice as the marinade. Like, I eat the pickles (I sometimes make my own, but Mt. Olive Kosher Dills are the best) and then I let the chicken soak in that.

Great taste.

14. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

That's a great idea and I'm doing it for my next batch of chocolate chip cookies.
    --- Post automerged ---
    As a Marylander I wholeheartedly agree. Too many people don't know the magic of Old Bay and it actually hurts my heart. Old Bay was handed down from the gods to make sure that we could have delicious food. It goes on any and everything, seriously. Chicken, Fish, Lamb, Steak, Cookies, French Fries, Pizza, and of course, Crab Legs. I can't eat Crabs outside of Maryland because they normally don't have Old Bay and that just ruins it. I make friends Crab Cakes and they kill for them, because of Old Bay.

15. Zombie

High Score:
    [​IMG]

You should be able to find it in Walmart, and they have on the Seasoning Aisle. Alternatively, I've seen it placed with the Hushpuppy mix/ breading for seafood, and just the flour/sugar section in general. There is a whole 8ft section they have for nothing but breading for fried foods.

There are 20 Walmart Supercenters in the state of CA.

16. why?

why? First Year

High Score:
    Mustard seeds. Generally found in Indian (and Chinese too? Or is that just garlic+ginger?) cuisine. Like it, along with dried chilis, in aglio e olio (...) and also add it in random veggies.

Not quite a secret, but cooking a steak with ghee/clarified butter is awesome. Can really max out the heat there. You can always add a bit of regular butter or olive oil if that's more to your tastes.

Also add sesame oil to it when making fried rice or stir fry.

Oats cooked in milk+heavy cream mixture. Yum.

Will look for better fish sauce for next time...

17. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

My mother makes these weird "crab cake" things that have Old Bay in them. The 'weird' part is that they contain no crab (or any other seafood), they're mostly shredded zucchini. Apparently they do taste a lot like crab cakes (probably mostly down to the Old Bay), but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't eat a crab cake, and I wouldn't eat a zucchini, regardless of what it's pretending to be.
    --

McCormick used to make a "Pizza Seasoning" grinder that had an assortment of herbs and spices in it, and it really was great on pizzas. Sadly, they discontinued the stuff right after I discovered it, because that's what happens whenever anyone in my family makes the mistake of liking something.

For that reason, I'm very careful to never mention whether I like breathing air...

Anyway, I've been making do with their Italian Seasoning grinder, though I'd rather not, given that it has salt in it. I don't need salt on a friggin' pizza. If I want salt, I can literally find it anywhere! No one is so lazy that they'll balk at having to reach for a second container to add salt, leave it out of the mix.

I'd just buy a grinder and mix up my own stuff, but not knowing exactly what was in their mix irritates me because I am incredibly uptight...

Seriously, though, a few herbs and spices on top can make any pizza, even a frozen one, much better - but that's not exactly a secret.

The Spice must flow.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Oh my sweet summer child. You are truly missing out. There are few seafood delights better than a real MD jumbo lump crabcake heavy on Old Bay, citrus, whipped mustard/mayo, and egg.

[​IMG]

The rest of the country uses backfin meat, forgoes lemon, uses copious breading/crumbs/cornmeal as filler (Maine, you are a fucking travesty), and the result is just disgusting.

See if you can find a Tuscan Herb Mill from Drogheria & Alimentari in your supermarket. Add a little oregano and crushed red pepper and you have perfect pizza seasoning.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Melkor they definitely have Old Bay in a shit fuck ton of CA grocery stores.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Heathen. Claussen is the superior pickle and the superior chicken brine. More dill, more garlic.