1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sense8

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Aekiel, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Randomly replacing black actors mid-series and hoping nobody notices seems to be weirdly common.

2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    ... I suddenly feel distinctly racist.

In my defense, it's been a long time since I saw Season 1. Still though...

3. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Apparently season one Capheus' actor was difficult to work with, which is sad. But I did like that they sorta addressed the casting change in a scene in the first episode of season two.

Overall a really good season. I really love the fact that they always(?) use locations rather than sets. So if a scene is set in Berlin/India/SF/ect they are actually there.

Lots of really emotional moments that hit the mark nearly 100% of the time.

I really loved it.

4. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I remember binging this last summer. As someone who's completely on board with the breaking of narrow categorical thought and A-OK with pansexuality, this series was way too sentimental for me.

Too... much frontal emotion.

Will probably still binge in a moment of boredom. Hopefully they've improved on the accent work.

5. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Sun is pretty much the only thing keeping this show afloat for me. Her and Lito.

The Indian/Kenyan subplots are super boring IMO, and the last episode was really badly plotted and paced.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When they stopped making Capheus' story about overcoming poverty and adversity, it stopped being interesting. Also the new guy, while quite good, does not have the acting chops the previous actor had. That dude was pulling of oscar worthy performances.

They never really bothered to write Kala a plot arc beyond stuff that related to romantic entanglements with Wolfgang.

I still say both of those stories are more interesting than Nomi's though. You'd think a transgender showrunner would be able to create a more interesting trans character than 'tech support girl in relationship with edgy girlfriend.'

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah, I really liked the first season but the second has clicked with me so far (ep 6 or 7). If it weren't for Sun and Wolfgang I would have likely dropped this and I hoped that the blonde DJ (who I actually found interesting in s1) would develop a bit more agency than she has so far.

The Indian, African and Mexican plots are entertaining enough (I actualyl like the slice of life aspect of the show and could have well done without the whole "evil" company plot) though the african storyline was certainly more entertaining last season and as others said the previous actor was really great.

Nomi and the police guy were already the two roles I liked the least in s1 and this hasn't changed in s2...

8. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

9. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Probably, couldn't have been cheap to produce in so many different locations. But more important is I think the lack of "buzz" and critical acclaim (like for example Emmy's etc.) that ultimatively doomed this show. It could have probably survived "poor" numbers as long as it helped the Netflix brand but I think it never had as much of an impact as they hoped it would.

Still while I didn't love the second show as much as I had hoped I am still sad to see this show go. Its main plot might have had its weaknesses but its unique cast/idea as well as how it "handeled" sexuality and a truly diverse cast made it certainly into the more unique shows I watched on TV and I hope we will see something similar in the future.