1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Seventh Horcrux by Emerald Ashes (HP AU)

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Tutorial Boss, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

Title: Seventh Horcrux
    Author: Emerald Ashes
    Rating: n/a(I'd estimate it to be T)
    Genre: Parody/Adventure
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: n/a
    Chapters: 21
    Words: 104,212
    Updated: Feb 3, 2015
    Published: Sep 7, 2014

Summary: The presence of a foreign soul may have unexpected side effects on a growing child. I am Lord Volde...Harry Potter. I'm Harry Potter. In which Harry is insane, Hermione is a Dark Lady-in-training, Ginny is a minion, and Ron is confused.
    Link: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/seventh-horcrux-hp-au.298748/
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10677106/1/Seventh-Horcrux

Unfortunately, being on Spacebattles, it has no proper summary and rating. However, this is a pretty hilarious and seriousish crackfic of Voldemort effectively possessing Harry as he "died," with several toppings of an interesting, if OOC characterization of Voldemort, especially using excessive paranoia.

Admittedly a bit short and still WIP, with no real plot, but...

The humor is fun and many interesting twists have been done. For example, this is a portion(spoilers possible, though it hasn't much of a plot)

Checked by Minion, Jan. 19, 2016
    Added the ff.net link and stats. Thx to AinoUta for the link.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  2. mybu

mybu First Year

Surprisingly, I found this witty and somewhat memorable. I think it is the blatantly obvious sarcasm. While it isn't impeccably written, it doesn't have to be to get its point across. I think it is a good summer read, and I found myself chuckling at the author's antics. The characterization of Voldemort was humorous enough. 4/5 for the humor

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort and humour just don't mix for me. Aside from that, I've never finished reading a crack fic and considered it a good use of my time. 2/5.

4. WhereTheWindTakesMe

WhereTheWindTakesMe Squib

Decent enough, some of the sarcasm is good and it's not more of the same cliches, but the overall story isn't as good as it could be. 3.5/5

5. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

It was... not exactly bad, but I wouldn't call it good either. It was an easy read, something that I would read if I didn't have anything better. I stopped reading during forth chapter, because it got too nonsensical. Oh, sorry, I meant too cracky.

I am not sure how I should rate it. If it was in any other category than humor, I would rate 2/5 (for some good ideas, quite good quotes and pleasant writing without any glaring errors), but since it is labelled humor... Well, I will rate it 2/5 nevertheless. It was not that entertaining. Sure, I laughed just about four times, but when I got used to author's writing style, humor simply disappeared. Also, crack fics just aren't my thing.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

I quite enjoy crackfic, and this isn't bad. Certainly not the 2/5's others are rating it. It's a decent idea, and it's crack - so its not exactly supposed to be high literature. I reckon it's a guilty pleasure, so I'd go for a 3/5 normally, but 4/5 for the rating system.

It's above average, definitely, but not excellent.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree that it's good for guilty pleasure, but guilty pleasures don't belong in the library.

8. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

I don't think that's the case at all, most crack is guilty pleasure. That doesn't preclude it from being library-worthy.

9. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

I believe since its meant to be a crackfic, its decent enough for its genre that it should be in library. I mean, I have rather fics less than this that were heaps better, but I still think things should be rated based on their genre.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tried it, got bored pretty quick. The juvenile, silly Voldemort doesn't really work for me.

3/5.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    It's funny you say that, considering that by today's standards at least 60% of the Library wouldn't even qualify for Guilty Pleasure.

Edit: As for the fic itself, 2/5. Meh.

12. esran

esran Professor

4/5. The story has one of the highest humor densities. On the other hand its short and has no plot.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If not the Humor section of the Library, this at least deserves a spot in the Recycling Bin. I don't find the fact that it's a crackfic to be a downside. It's hilarious. I saw some strange sentence structure once or twice, but overall, spelling and grammar is high quality.

I loved it. 4,5/5 from me, rounded down to 4 for the thread vote.

14. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It started strange, Voldemort was damn strange, but after you learn to roll with it, it's pretty funny. I like crack fics, I still laugh every month about the 'my uncle told me to find the lonely men." A solid 3.75 up to 4.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Well at least the tradition of nothing good coming out of Spacebattles is in tact.

16. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It's ok.

That's probabaly the closest evaluation I can give.

It's a good concept with an ok execution, which is genuinelly funny at times and trying too hard at others. I read it fast, had a few laughs and entirely forgot about it the very next moment.

There were no terrible things, same as there were no great lines either.

It was just that - average kind of good.

Thus, 3/5.

17. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

When people said it was crack I expected a hell of a lot more nonsense and incoherence. I was surprised not to find as much. Crack, to me, usually means something completely off the wall. As in something in the realm of Johnny Knoxville. This wasn't that.

I really enjoyed it. I think it's good enough to be in the humor section of our library. There are certainly far worse things in there. The story follows a basic episodic set up, it stays within logical confines of Harry Potter world, and it's amusing.

Humor is a very subjective thing, so I'm sure some people will just not see what's funny in this. My vote is a 4/5 on the funny.

18. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, I don't really view it as purely a crack fic. It certainly doesn't take itself seriously and is purely humor, but it at least follows some semblance of storyline and structure.

I chuckled a few times and had at least a slight smile reading most of it, which is more than I can say for almost any 'humor' fic I've read in the genre.

Worth checking out if you don't try to take it seriously.

19. DC

DC Groundskeeper

He updated the next chapter, and it really isn't that funny. One bad chapter can ruin a story, but I am going to hold out till the next one. Otherwise, the story is funny, and I laughed in a couple of places, and smiled my way through others.

He seems to be trying a bit too hard with the Dark Lady Hermione thing, I feel.

3/5 for me.

20. Charlesnaismith

Charlesnaismith First Year

I quite enjoyed as far as crackfic goes.

3/5

I think people get a bit precious about what goes in the library sometimes too.