1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Sherlock Holmes and the Ravenclaw Codex by Pavonis Mons - K (crossover!)

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Mordac, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Title: Sherlock Holmes and the Ravenclaw Codex
    Author: Pavonis Mons
    Rating: K
    Genre: Crime/Supernatural
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 14
    Words: 27,071
    Updated: January 13, 2008
    Published: January 4, 2008

Summary: A Sherlock Holmes mystery set in Victorian Hogwarts. A valuable artefact has been stolen from Hogwarts School, with a Muggle student the only suspect, and Headmaster Black summons Holmes to retrieve it. But the case is not as clear cut as it first appears
    Link:www.fanfiction.net/s/3991385/1/Sherlock_Holmes_and_the_Ravenclaw_Codex

At first I didn't intend to post this story here since I know non-Harry centric stories aren't usually well recieved here. However, seeing as that The Blue Flower isn't having that bad a reception, I thought I'd give it a shot. Just don't crucify me for it. ;)

Checked by Minion, March 25, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It is waaay too much trouble dragging this cross out of storage for me to turn around and not even use it.:whipped:

3. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

2 chapters in and so far so good. The author does a good job of capturing Sir Doyle's style. As in all Sherlock Holmes stories it is told in first person through the eyes of Dr. Watson. Will update with rating when I've finished.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This reminds me of Rorschach's Blot's latest installment to his "Odd Ideas" is apparently inspired by Sherlock Holmes. Featuring Watson!Dudley.

5. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

As a long time fan of the Sherlock Holmes books I love this story. The author did an outstanding job of capturing the style Doyle wrote in.

5/5

6. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

I agree with Kinder, this is an excellent story and I would recommend it to any Holmes fans out there. Bonus: an interesting take on why Phineas Nigellus Black is the least popular Headmaster of Hogwarts.

5/5

7. Guest_

Guest_ Third Year

What do you get when you combine Sherlock Holmes, Phineas Nigellus Black, a priceless artifact, and a dark conspiracy?

Elementary, my dear Watson, that's definite library material.

Great idea, great execution. 5/5.

[​IMG]

8. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I loved it. I loved it so much, I went out and bought a Sherlock Holmes book (I've never read any before).

Awesome.

5/5

9. Helius

Helius Third Year

It's awesome. The style resembles that of Sherlock Holmes, and somehow, the author managed to cross Harry Potter with Sherlock Holmes without fucking up.

5/5 from me.

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I admit, when I read the title & summary, I was incredulous as to how a story with such an odd plot could be any good. And I thought that reading a butchery of Sir Doyle's writing would be even worse. However, reading all the 5/5 reviews above convinced me to at least try it.

I was pleasantly surprised, the author did a rather good job with the writing style, and had an excellent plot.

5/5

11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

An excellent story. This was very well planned out and written pretty well. 5/5 from me.

12. ArseNick

ArseNick Fourth Year

I hope you realize that in NONE of the Sherlock Holmes short stories and novels did he ever say the entire statement "Elementary, my dear Watson." Its just a misconception people have, as he's said "Elementary" and "My dear Watson" several times.

As to the story, it was very good. Mystery got kinda predictable at the end, but that's probably because I've read too much of Holmes to be surprised. The writer was surprisingly good, and the backstory on Holmes' past was unexpected and very welcome. 5/5 from me!

13. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

It took me a little while to talk myself into reading this, and I'm glad I did. Good use of Doyle's style, and decent delivery of the plot. My only complaint is that the story feels a bit too short, and in a couple places, shallow. 4/5

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Great fic indeed. It's amazing how the author managed to produce Victorian English eerily alike the one from Doyle's novels. It's been a long time since I've seen this level of writing prowess in a fanfiction.

The one and major downside is that, when all is said and done, the main plot simply wasn't all that clever or mysterious. For all its logic and believability, the sad fact is that it lacked false clues, red herrings, twist and turns and anything resembling the final big twist - in short, pretty much anything makes a mystery story worth reading. Yes, there is a decent clue or two, but it simply isn't enough, especially when we can guess who's the bad guy halfway through.

So, for me, this is clear-cut 4/5. Would have made it to 5 if the author managed to surprise or confuse me at least a little bit.

15. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I agree with ip82 in that the writer must have really studied his Doyle in order to replicate the language so exquisitely. Really a wonderful job on the whole thing, and I'm pretty sure that it could go into the Doyle collection and not draw too many odd looks from a lot of people.

Enjoyable to read, and quite refreshing, even if Doyle-mysteries aren't my favorite thing to read. I'd like for this author to put his obviously considerable talents to writing a nice epic fic; I'd bet he'd be a dab hand at it.

5/5