1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Side Jobs Cover

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

The cover for Side Jobs, the Dresden Files short story collection due out on November 11th of this year, has been added to Christian McGrath's site.

The anthology will include all Dresden shorts up until Changes in the Dresden timeline (including one that hasn't appeared yet) and either three brand new short stories, or one novellete.

You can see the cover here:

http://www.christianmcgrath.com/MainPages/sidejobs.html

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Not exactly McGrath's best work.

When it comes to the anthology itself I am both anxious and annoyed. Finally some new Dresden Files material to read, that's good. Now I've got all those anthologies with just one story in each...

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, I'm happy to hear about the anthology since I don't own any of the other ones containing the short stories. This will be a nice book to pick up.

The picture is, well, it's better than what I could do but it's not his best work. Duster looks like it's a size too small.

Anyway, thanks for the post. Great to know this is confirmed to be coming out.

4. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Hmm, honestly I like this cover. I've been looking forward to this anthology for a while too...

5. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Proportionally not the best manip of his I've seen - the hands are a bit small for the size of the facial features and the neck and head look too big for the shoulders.

6. Bukay

Butcher's site has been updated with details concerning Side Jobs.

Unfortunately Even Hand, a Marcone POV story, will not be included as the publish date of Dark and Stormy Knights was delayed. The exclusive, all-new material will include three short stories or one novelette. It is most likely that one of those stories will be the Hawaii incident with Murphy and Kincaid. (source)

They also posted Changes wallpapers...

7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Another slight update, from a post by Jim:
    link: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?action=profile;u=5;sa=showPosts

"We've had three short stories from non-Harry viewpoints:

Backup--Thomas

Even Hand--Marcone (That one is forthcoming in the Dark and Stormy Knights anthology. Marcone scares me a lot more now.)

Aftermath--Murphy (That one will be exclusive to SIDE JOBS, is set forty five minutes after the end of CHANGES, and is turning into a novella on me, rather than a short story.)

I will probably continue to do short pieces from the viewpoints of alternate characters as we proceed. They aren't my favorite kind of writing, but it's fun (for ME, I mean) to see how different the Dresden Files world looks through the various sets of eyes.

If I ever do any major work (IE, novels) from alternate characters, I probably could not set them in the time period of the Dresden Files. I have several neat ideas, and the one that appeals to me the most is writing the French and Indian war years from the viewpoint of a young Ebenezar McCoy and his associates. The first duel between Eb and Listens-to-Wind is pretty epic in my head. [​IMG]

Alternatively, I might write up some Civil War/Western stories from the Dresden universe. I mean, there's a /reason/ all those sheriff's badges are five pointed stars within a circle.

If I was going to do anything in the modern era, it would have to be set after the Dresden Files climax, and I would probably focus on characters in the non-powerful-nation parts of the story: Guys like Vince, the Venatori, and the Special Collections Division of the Library of Congress. (Do NOT screw with the Librarians. Holy moly. Just don't.)

But, at the end of the day, I'm not sure what I'll be doing next just yet. There's plenty of time to decide. [​IMG]

Jim"

8. Bukay

After reading the fight between Shagnasty and Listens-to-Wind I want to see him fight Blackstaff... it would be epic.

9. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I didn't feel like making another thread for this, so yeah.

Update. According to Jim's site, the Hard Cover Version of Side Jobs comes out on 2010-10-26.

A long way off, but there you go.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Does fucking want

11. Brown

Brown Third Year

What is it with the hat? Why does Harry always have a hat on the book covers? He has never once worn a hat.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Because hats are awesome, and you simply cannot wear a duster without that kind of hat. It just isn't done.

13. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Supposedly the cover artists and the people who decide that think that a guy with a fedora(or whatever its called) hat projects the image of a private investigator, and that along with the staff gives the wizard P.I image. Apparently Butcher does not have THAT much control over the cover, something which he has mentioned repeatedly in several places so the cover Harry does wear a hat.

Butcher has actually joked about this several times in the books, with Harry thinking that he should get a hat and then deciding not to and so on. I think Hat's were mentioned even in Changes if I recall.

So basically its just a marketing trick by the publisher or whomever. Don't put too much stock in what the covers show.

14. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol. Remember all the fanwank over Turn Coat's cover?

15. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Oh, hell, the sword. That and the two mysterious figures. Forgot all about that.

16. Bukay