1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Sisyphus by esama - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Jeram, Feb 22, 2010.

1. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

What I don't understand is why didn't Harry try to become immortal? I mean he had the Stone in his first year and the knowledge about Horcruxes.

3/5.

2. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Stone grants only biological immortality, and the process of creating a Horcrux maybe too much for Harry - see Denarian Lord for example, you needed there too ingest dead human flesh from slaughtered innocent kid and honestly enjoy it. There has to be a reason why only rare dark wizards make Horcruxes.
    (for example Grindelwald didn't do it, though surely he had knowledge of them)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or maybe it's just that he likes his soul in one piece?

4. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

This, x1000000000.

3/5

5. Qwerty

Qwerty Second Year

A good quick read. 3 to 4 out of 5.

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Decent, but I agree with Taure. The random and illogical constraints on the possibilities his life could take in combination with his apparently godlike skills make no sense. If he had kept Harry weak (well, normally so) and kept his life along the normal lines as a consequence of that, I could have bought it.

The idea is good, even if its not ground breaking, but, as has been mentioned, the execution is lacking.

2/5

Edit: Oh yeah, Sirius not coming to Hogwarts because Harry isn't playing Quidditch? Sirius coming to Hogwarts had nothing to do with Harry...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  7. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Not being able to go away from Britain and all that stuff was just dumb, because nothing happened when Harry followed the rules, a fun and short life is much more preferable to a long and boring one after all. The story would have worked much better for me if all of Harry's actions were inconsequential to Fate.

Why do so many forget that the Basilisk can be killed with a rooster's cry?

Harry's failure to do more stuff about the Horcruxes in different ways speaks of a severe lack of competence. Learning to control Findfyre is not impossible with all the time in the world, and Basilisk Venom is far easier to come by for Harry than this author implies.

Harry can only die by Voldemort's hand after the ritual in GoF because Voldemort made him a sudo-Horcrux. It's obvious that someone didn't pay much attention to Dumbledore's monologue in King's Cross. Sure, we almost never get to know how Harry dies, but all those successful suicides tell me that this wasn't taken into account.

Minus points for Harry not having the brain power to ruin his enemies with anonymous letters and the media. Telling people about the future isn't the same as trying to manipulate them in other ways.

2/5, because neither the writing nor plotting cuts it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah, I completely missed the immortality thing, and a few other points.

9. thedeadfish

thedeadfish Muggle

Taure, if you've read and understood the actual Myths of Sisyphus, and understood the moral toil behind it, you'd realize that it's actually just a really depressing take on morality and ethics in the human world, as opposed to a logical explanation of the human ethical experience.

That said, it's still a good piece of work.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I feel that there's a little misunderstanding here.

The idea is that there's something completely sinister at work here that keeps Harry in this loop. He can't leave the country because Apparation itself is neutralized as a means of escaping Britain. Whatever unknowable force can break the rules the world follows. In fact, I think a nice touch would have been to have Harry try to ask experts why he's unable to Apparate outside of Britain, which tips the rest of the wizards to the abnormality, which then triggers the reset again.

It does break down when Harry can't literally haul himself to the edge of Britain's boundary. The story would get silly if esama literally explained how his airplane was shot down or how his boat could hit by a storm. But this is the kind of thing where you don't have to push and take things to the logical extreme.

So I totally think the feeling of Harry being caged by something is where this fic accomplishes something and shines. It's applying the horror from the reality-is-a-simulation thought experiments to the Harry Potter story, and it's just something I always thought of as cool to read about.

A full-length story with this kind of plot would be amazing. Harry living day-to-day life knowing what awaits him, and then becoming utterly consumed and driven to discover what forces are doing this. I would be dying as a reader to find out, even though it'd be nearly impossible to make the reveal meet the expectations.

I like the inclusion of these elements, though I agree that I would like to see better stories use them. Harry fighting free from his condemnation by fate.Joe's Wastelands of Time is sort of like this, but there, Harry had a ton of freedoms and we know it's conditional - if he can just manage to kill Voldemort, that's enough. The Harry in Sisyphus is utterly trapped.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011