1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Skin Game [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, May 22, 2014.

1. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Uh, am I the only who isn't super enthused about this idea? I mean, it sort of sounds like a bad fanfiction.

I'm sure Butcher will make it great, hopefully, but the premise is kinda bleh.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I dig it, tbh. However, I'm always fascinated by what-if? scenarios, and mad/dark/ebil-Dresden is a goodie.

3. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Well, Butcher did manage to come out with Codex Alera from Pokemon + Lost Roman Legion. And incorporated a BDSM scene into the plot. At this time, I'm guessing he's doing alternate reality for the lulz, and to say, "That's how it's done, bitches". Another notch in his belt.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Butcher's goal seems to make every single stupid indy!Harry idea work in DF.

I doubt it'll be evil Harry, though. Just a darker one.

5. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Wait what? Jog my memory?

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lil' Maggie's conception all the way back in Death Masks. Susan vamps out in Harry's apartment so he ties her up with magical ogre thread and has his wicked way with her. Apparently orgasm is a good enough substitute for feeding that she calmed down. :p

7. Zeelthor

I feel more scenes would be based around those ropes. ;)

On a similar note: I'm genuinely disturbing we haven't seen a single story where Molly invents a magic vibrator.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

IIRC someone dared Butcher to work in a BDSM scene into one of his books without having it be explicitly that. Or something along those lines.

At any rate, it shows up in Death Masks. Harry and Susan take refuge in Harry's place and end up having to stay until sunrise, but Susan is close to changing so he ties her up. Cue sexy times.

9. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm surprised no one mentioned Harry taking over the Darkhallow, instead of stopping it. It would make him obscenely powerful, though.

10. Zeelthor

Yeah... Not sure how powerful. Harry seemed to think it'd make him powerful enough to challenge Mab, and/or for the user to tear down the wards protecting the senior council at Edinburgh.

Makes one think the Circle isn't just (or even primarily) undercover Council, cause if they were, they'd be able to do an inside job.

But yeah... If Harry was to use the Darkhallow, it'd break the series haaard. :p

11. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Didn't Jim state somewhere Darkhallow would put Cowl at the same level as Mab and Titania? I think that is just a little too powerful.

12. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

The problem is whether he would wind up in a position to try and do so in this other timeline. Things went sideways several years prior to that particular set of events occurring. And if there wasn't a vampire war occurring Eb, Luccio and Morgan would've been all over Cowl, Grevane and Corpsetaker.

13. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Right, okay. The way his post was structured, I thought he was talking about Codex Alera. Didn't remember that part of Tavi's adventures.

14. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Would have been interesting, though... Shit. Now I'm in the mood for some Tavi/Kitai BDSM PWP. Damn you, Menace.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That is way more information than I needed to know.

16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

FTFY FFS

/10char

17. Zeelthor

Considering Skin Game again and I've sorta got a new theory. Working from the assumption that God is "The enemy" that Nic promises Deirdre she'll be safe from, the following chain of events opens up.

Nicodemus kills his daughter, she opens the path. Nic retrieves the spear of destiny. He gives it to Lucifer. Lucifer now has God's blood. He uses the weapon to knock God off his throne and assumes command.

He then politely tells Hades that he'd very much like Deirdre's soul sent up, right the fuck now, to whatever kingdom he shapes.

As I've written earlier, Nicodemus does say that "Love will be the downfall of God himself."

The expression of said love in Jesus, whose blood Nic almost got his hands on. That would leave one thing unexplained. Why would Nicodemus want Lucifer in charge. I don't think he gives a shit about the angels. He has another motive driving him. Perhaps he wishes for a commander of the host with another mind-set?

Perhaps against the outsiders, or perhaps with another enemy in mind?

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If we're talking about one decision being different, it would be "meh, I'll diffuse this shit" ⟶ "yay, I wanna play god".

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Except the divergence point is in Grave Peril, so... yeah.

20. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

What divergence points can we look to in Grave Peril?

1 - Mirror!Harry refuses to accept Lea's bargain in the graveyard fight with the Nightmare. Likely consequence is that Charity (and Little Harry) die?

2 - Mirror!Harry decides not to intervene in order to save Lydia. Not sure what the immediate fallout of that would be -- maybe Michael tries to something anyway and dies trying and Amoracchius is (at least temporarily) unmade.

3 - Mirror!Harry decides to accept Bianca's offer, resulting in Susan staying with Bianca and preventing (immediate) war between the Red Court and the White Council. Although, I doubt it would prevent the war entirely - recall what Shiro said about that back in Death Masks.

Those seem like the three biggest ones where Harry could have chosen differently.

EDIT: Looking back at fuubar's post, the 3rd option seems the most likely.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014