Slash recommendations...?

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by Apothem, Jul 2, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Apothem

Apothem Third Year

It's something of a taboo, I know, but it occurs to me that not ALL slash fics are Draco/Harry, with events such as Harry realizing that Draco was only mean because his daddy never really loved him so they soul bond and become perfect for each other.

However, I have absolutely no idea where to begin sifting through the vast repositories of garbage for the good fics, so I was hoping that perhaps someone else with similar inclinations could point me towards a few good stories/authors to start, at least.

EDIT: Just for fun, any good Naruto slash fics would be appreciated as well.

2. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar Professor

Reclamation.

This is the only story that I've read that has slash for a secondary character and also happened to be incredibly good.

3. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Here is a complete list of slash fanfiction that doesn't totally fail:

Sacrifices Arc by Lightning on the Wave

/list

Have fun.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I recall Copperbadge's Stealing Harry series on ffa as being readable "Wolfstar" (RL/SB). The author has a HP/SB (SB is de-aged to 16 y.o.) story as well, but I've not read it.

I second the recommendation on Reclamation.

5. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Slash recommendations? Start with your wrists...

(I keed, I keed, but what happened to this forum to allow this post to remain here all day without a single GTFO?)

6. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Cartographer's Craft is the only Harry-centric Slash I've gotten through during my long stay in this fandom. I remember the ending fizzling out somewhat though, and I've never reread it.

7. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:
    GTFO.

But if you won't, I have to go with the Sacrifices arc as well.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Sacrifices Arc. Other than that...I have vaguely fond recollections of Skin Deep, but I suspect that's largely nostalgia, as one of the first fanfics I read. From what I recall, some interesting ideas, some dreadful cliches (insane levels of Dursley abuse, father!Snape), and reasonably well written. But as I say, it's been a while.

9. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

This is one of my favorite slash fics out of the many that I have read.

Although the pairing doesn't have many fans over here at DLP, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

10. Scott

Scott Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Nicca wah? The next thing you know, you're gonna be reading Bottom!Harry with a dominant!Snape!

11. Hello

Hello Professor

Considering I do not know what your idea of epic fail is I would recommend anything by Miranda Flairgold. Also it should be said that I do not truthfully know she is still a HP writer and not an original fiction writer.

12. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:
    Miranda Flairgold writes shit. Literal steaming piles of shit on far too many pages.

13. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3762636/1/The_Black_Heir
    AU.Harry escapes from the Dursleys when he's ten years old and is found by the escaped Sirius Black. His whole life changes as he slowly discovers his destiny.Durmstrang,DarkArts,dueling,powers,heritage,horcruxes,hallows,Tom,Grindelwald.Darkish!Harry.HPLV

I started reading this before I knew it was slash, but I was that hooked on the story I powered through. The sequel is a WIP at the moment.

14. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3762636/1/The_bBlack_b_bHeir_b

Very long fic, 900 plus words plus a nearly just as long sequel. Very well written with good plot, and really the best durmstrang!harry story out there. Granted, I could not finish the story just because the slash was too much, and really hard to just read over when it is part of the plot.

15. Salah

Salah Card Captored and buttsecksed

Slash story's are not worth recommending. It's as simple at that.

Now, go read your Drarry while I cry in my hugbox about the atrocities of Fanfiction.

16. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Excuse me? WTF did you just say Anarchy!?!

I'm not going to declare that my story is the best Durmstrang fic of all time, but I sure as fucking hell will not let you insult it by saying it's not better than a fic where Bottom!Harry willingly gets graphically, and consistently, fucked in the ass by Voldemort! You are now officially on my shit list. GTFO and go die in a fire.

OP: I'll second Miranda Flairgold.

17. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I'm actually gonna have to go with The Santi, here--his Durmstrang!Harry is the best I've seen.

And as for the Black Heir and Vindico Atrum fics--they have some interesting ideas, but it's so full of Horcrux!Romance and Voldemort-ass-fucking, not to mention the way 'Harry' falls in love with every male wizard he meets, that the stories are unreadable.

18. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

I read Black Heir and managed to drag myself through the sequel to find what it was all about, the big secret. I HATE firephoenix8. I want her too be burned alive. I enjoyed Black Heir and found some enjoyment from the 2nd one but the explanation ruined it all. It killed whatever enjoyment I had for that now demented creation. Fuck her and her literally gay angel demon super gods.

And Santi has the best Durmstrang!Harry.

19. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

It's been stated time and time again on this forum that Slash fics are hated because fan girls go crazy with the buttsex and who fucks whom. That is why they are hated.

I'm not sure if this will help clarify things when it comes to this stuff, but here goes.

Slash=Fangirl fantasies involving Harry getting trained by anything with a penis, where woman are completely ignored. It's only purpose is to showcase two(or two hundred) men getting it on in unrealistic ways with Harry, where plot is secondary to the sex and man-love.

(Not sure what label to use)M/M=Equals a normal gay relationship between two men where the focus of the story is centered around plot, not hours of OMG sex. There will probably be even woman in the story also.

I think OP is asking for M/M while Salah is spouting nonsense. Thankfully, the majority of DLP got what he was asking. I just thought the above helps trolls to clarify where the hate is needed. Because, there's really nothing wrong with gay relationships in fanfiction.

As for recc's....Lightning on the Waves held my attention. Miranda's has elements of it, but its borderline slash in my opinion.

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It doesn't do much to clarify things when you give an incorrect definition. "Slash" in fanfiction simply refers to stories with same-sex relationships between characters. Nothing is implied about how realistic the relationships are or how good the writing is. Canon-compliant slash is possible (Dumbledore/Grindelwald, e.g.) The term is merely a description of the gender sameness of the relationships, much like how the term, 'het,' refers to opposite-gender relationships.

It's also been stated often on the forum by the moderators that sufficiently good slash stories could in principle find a place in the library, but, as with Harry/Ginny stories, they would have to be something special to overcome people's biases against such stories.

Not open for further replies.