1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sleepless Domain by Hiveworks (Webcomic)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Nemrut, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, Sleepless Domain is a webcomic about magical girls. So far, it's not very long but it looks like it's been getting regular updates for some time, the artwork is gorgeous, the story and setting interesting and it offers a rather fresh take on the genre.

In general, the above summary gives a decent enough explanation. This is a city that is kinda isolated from the outside (at least as far as I understood things so far) and monsters can't enter during the day. At night, basically, from ten pm to two am, monsters can enter and it is up to magical girls to fight them.

One thing that sets this world apart from other magical girl shows is that the identities thing is not a secret. It is known who is a magical girl and who isn't, in fact, they have camera crews, licensing and merchandise deals and are pretty much celebrities with fans. In fact, it seems to be their main income and lots of girls react differently to that, which makes things interesting. You have girls who are mainly out for fighting and then you have those who put more importance on publicity and whatnot.

Magical girls also, for example, go to a special school just for them, whereas normal people go to a normal school. In fact, one character switches from one to the other and the contrast is interesting. The whole society is, and how the whole magical girl thing is integrated.

It works rather well and the webcomic has a lot of imagination. The monsters are pretty good and the rules by which this world and its magic operate under are rather intriguing, even if what we know is relatively little.

But I haven't told you what this story is about, not really and because it would be kind of a spoiler. So if you like reading webcomics/comics/manga, then give this one a shot. It's worth reading.

To those unconvinced:

The story starts with a magical girl team of five, which gets destroyed, leaving two survivors. Undine, the Sailor Mercury of the group and Tessa, the old leader, who has now lost her powers. The story now follows Undine, who was a support fighter, trying to find her own way now on her own, dealing with survivors guilt, trying to become a more proactive fighter and find the mysterious individual responsible for the monster attack which devastated her team and who seems to have it in for her and Tessa, who, after using up all of her power to heal a dying Undine, has now returned to becoming a normal girl and has to pick up her life from there, and is also dealing with survivors guilt. Undine is the main character but we also periodically check up on Tessa, and that's really where we are.

It's not grimdark everything is misery and life sucks kinda thing but it can get more serious but still a rather positive experience. The supporting cast is fun and bright so far but not silly.

So yeah, it's still very much early into the story but what we have so far is beautiful art, a creative and imaginative world and interesting characters.

Story starts here.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I tried the first six or so chapters before going to sleep. It's definitely interesting.

"But these are seeds I planted with my own gossip hands!" lolz