1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Small Favor by Jim Butcher *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Koalas, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As most of you know today is April 1st. April Fool's Day. Also the release date of the tenth novel in Jim Butcher's series The Dresden Files, titled 'Small Faovr'.

It's now been about six minutes since I finished the novel and the mental orgasm shows no signs of stopping. Or slowing down for that matter.

Some very major revelations for the series in this book. The readers finally getting a grasp of how far the Black Council's reach truly extends. A ton of Denarians wrecking havoc and being wrecked for that matter. A possible explanation for how Knights of the Cross are selected (which will be very interesting to see how Shezza implements it into the Denarian series). Heaven taking a more direct role in the matters effecting Earth and Harry taking his magic to new heavenly hights.

That's all I'm willing to write at the moment, but please for those of you who have finished the book fell free to discuss it, for those to lazy to read it... well most of us won't mind answering some questions.

2. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Haven't read it yet but I did buy it, I currently reading Wrath of Mad God by Raymond Feist which came out recently as well, but the moment I finish that I'm plowing through this.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought it was coming out in late April. Damn, this is an awesome surprise.

If this is an April Fool's joke, I'm going to beat a kitten.

4. Koalas

High Score:
  5. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Jeez, I completely forgot about it. Ok, bookstore tomorrow.

6. Rehio

High Score:
    I has a book. I shall be back in a day or so, it's time to shut out the world and concentrate on the awesomeness inside these pages.

Ah, that new book smell. I love it.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Kekeke.

I called Dresden/Luccio.

Rosanna the Succubus. D:

Poor Ivy.

Fucking Mab <3

Eldest gruff was cool.

Murphy; wtf?

Gard; Sweet.

Michael; :(

Nick: Ally in the making?

Soulfire =? Lash Gift

I could go on but yeah. Irc ftw.

8. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just finished it and damn that was amazing with a lot of shocking surprises that I did not see coming such as
    spoiler's ahead
    The entire time I was waiting for the book to come out I was thinking it was going to be about Harry and his connection to Mab but I was happily proven wrong. This book had an intense focus on the Blackened Denarians and especially Nicodemus. The way he talked to Harry like he knew much more about Lash's fate than he did along with little other things that happened through the book makes me think that she is coming back soon. Also that bit with Uriel throwing Harry a hand and giving him soulfire so he could smack the shit out of that Denarian in the aquarium with that giant hand spell. Also as far as I can tell Harry has finally whacked old Nicky. Then what was pretty interesting was the fact that almost everybody in with Faerie is openly saying that Harry belongs to Mab now. Even Fix is pointing guns at Harry if only for a few seconds. Summer is also now openly trying to off Harry sending hitters after him all the time. Murphy is now a knight and Michael isn't anymore with Harry holding onto Ammorachius for now. However the absolutely best part of the entire damn book is that Harry is now banging Luccio, repeatedly.

9. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I called Murphy, but then again, so did everybody else.

I wanted Dresden/Luccio/Elaine. Let's see what happens. ;)

Eldest Gruff was fucking awesome.

I have no hope for Dresden/Gard ever being canon. I'm gonna write an omake on it one day. D:

Oh, and I called Michael too. But then again, Butcher did hint pretty strongly.

Who wants to speculate which monarch Murphy's descended from? I vote Arthur.

Edit: Soulfire is fucking AIDS and fail. Fuck, this is about as much a cool idea as the horcruxes in the Potterverse.

Also: waiting for bookstores is ftl. D:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  10. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

Just finished the book a few minutes ago as well and I personally thought that it was fucking great. There were a couple of things that I expected, quite a few that I did not, and Dresden's request to the Elder Gruff was so goddamn hilarious that I had to retreat to the basement for a few minutes or else I would have woken up my roommates with hysterical laughing. I'm going to use those lines in my sig, but I will wait for a couple of weeks so as to not ruin it for anyone.

I don't think that Soulfire was so much a cop-out as the horcruxes were. To me it seemed more of a matter of balance than anything. It was more logically thought out than the cruxes as well, what with it being the antithesis to Hellfire in every sense of the word. Trust a tabletop gamer / author to come up with a balanced and well thought out world

11. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Ok how are you people getting that Murphy is a knight?

I'll quote near the end of the book here.

Then she said, "It isn't because I don't believe."
    "I know that," I said.
    She nodded. "It isn't for me, though, Harry. I've already chosen my ground. I've taken an oath. It meant more to me than accepting a job."

That's off of page 411 at the very bottom. So unless I missed something huge somewhere along the line, Murphy is most definitely not a knight. Could she have possibly become a knight? Yes, the reaction from the sword would indicate that she could have, but she chose not to.

12. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

She did choose not to. I'm just going against everybody else's opinion and stating that she will change her mind. It wouldn't have been any sort of realistic if she had agreed to becoming a Knight right now. But this way, she has the potential to become one in the future.

This is a big choice for her, and maybe that was more a snap decision than it should have been. More than that though, being in Chicago and her respect for the Law are the two things that define her life right now. She can grow out of it. I'm hoping she will. No way a true protector like Murphy is going to leave herself crippled against increasing threats like the Black Council. Sooner or later, she will have to choose between obeying the law and having the power to truly protect innocents. One guess which way she chooses. A small woman cop pwning wizards and Denarians is cool, yeah, but it's just not going to end well unless she gets practical.

Kinght!Murph > Knight!Charity, anyway.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not enough Marcone death. >_>

Also; Ivy > All.

That is all.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Ah Ok Mors misunderstood you there. Yea Vash the scene with Ivy totally pwning the Denarians was one of the best in the book.

15. Rehio

High Score:
    Oh god, someone get Ivy away from Vash. Please, don't let him have her.

That book was awesome.

16. Koalas

High Score:
    Vash the Dresden Files fans (minus Rehio) humbly ask of you an Ivy sig and Avatar.

17. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

You want a Vash style sig of a 10 year old? Ok then.

Edit: This is sarcasm folks...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  18. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Quoted for imminent damage and truth.

And a repost of when I was squeeing over the book:

Women of Small Favor​

1) Nail-gun wielding Charity?...Check. Booster for immediate and overwhelming sexual appeal?...Check.

2) Mab wearing a low-cut gown, feezing all water in eyeballs while simultaneously laying kisses and sucking on earlobe?...Check. Sudden Death due to fatal sexual appeal. Check.

3) Cute five-foot-nothing blond Murphy, staring gigantic gruff down?...Check. Slow and sweet incineration by sheer sugary hotness of her? Check.

4) Lacey Green Bra and Winter Coat Molly, in adrenaline high after a hit and assault?...Check. Appropriately hedonistic fantasies of post-trauma sex triggered? Check.

5) Anastasia Luccio washing herself orgasmically in front of a fire?...Check. The image overcoming any reluctance towards doing grannies? Check.

p.s. Ivy is a little girl, not a woman. Don't even go there.

19. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

I think Molly (or Butcher) totally fucked up that "massive revelation" about her heritage. Genetic studies have shown that literally every single person with Western European blood in them that is alive today is a descendant of Charlemagne. Of course, those studies don't take into account people like the Denarians and really old wizards.

On a massive tangent, that means that Voldemort would have every right to declare himself the Holy Roman Emperor. Creepy.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he's interested in a more or less direct line of descent from King to character than you're suggesting.

Also, Soulfire looks pretty nifty to me: I mean seriously, Hellfire is cool and can supercharge spells, but you're missing the fact that he made a giant-fucking-hand and threw people around with it! If that's not awesome I don't know what is... And I just thought of whether any other parts of his body can be transformed like that... My mind lives in a gutter, I'm sure of it. Luccio would enjoy it, anyway.

Also, Ivy rocks.

Aekiel