1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Small-ish computer cases

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ched, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm going to build my parents a new desktop as a combination Anniversary/House-warming present (Yay! They are moving back out of my house in just over a month! Yay!).

I should be alright picking the actual parts. What I need help with is making a list of high-quality "small-ish" cases to put said parts in (though I'll bump the thread in a few weeks for comments on the parts).

Their current desktop is a Dell Dimension E521. Dimensions on it are approximately 17" x 16.5" x 7" and it is "far too large" according to my parents. So I'm going for something smaller.

The goal is to compile a list of QUALITY cases that I can give them to pick from based on looks. I just want to do some QC before letting them pick.

A few ideas:
    It does need to have a slot for an Optical Drive. I will not be adding a GPU. I will only have one hard drive (an SSD). I do not care what kind of Mobo it takes. HTPC cases are fine as well as more typical towers.

Ideas? I don't even know if the above cases are good or not.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Well, if you want to go really small... this one's the case for my last several builds. I have a half dozen around the house as controllers for various things and my kid uses one as his desktop computer. Granted, it might have a few fewer features than you're after...

(Raspberry Pi).

3. Tuiz

Tuiz Fifth Year

You might want to take a look at the SG01-F and the
    SG04-F by Silverstone. Both good cases.

4. Ched

I've read about those Pers, good times. Though I do think I want something with a little more oomph to it. Unless I'm wrong about Pi's capabilities? I was gonna go for a Haswell CPU though.

Edit: Thanks Tuiz! Will check those out. *fist bump*

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You're not wrong. They can do a lot of things and are a hobbyist's dream, but are underpowered for 3D gaming and such. (Then again, they're all of $35, so one can't go into it with too high of expectations.) I got the kid a USB HDD to go with his, which I'd recommend if you're going to use it as a desktop stand-in. He does most of his schoolwork on it, browses the web, etc. And it's pretty well integrated with Scratch and Python for an intro into programming.

I have one with a wireless USB that lets me program the coffee and espresso machines from my iPhone (yeah, cheesy). Another runs our entertainment system. I rigged up a third for the local fencing club as a DIY timer/scoreboard.

6. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Haswell's real strength is in the mobile environment. It's simply too good with power consumption and efficiency, which is less of a concern on a desktop. If I were building one now, I'd go with a last gen i5-2550 or so. Not only will it be cheaper because it's "old" tech, but it'll do what you need.

7. Ched

Old tech rarely seems much cheaper ($20 or so?), and Haswell has far better graphics capability than Ivy had. Or so I thought?

8. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Yes, about 30% or so, but if you want CPU that has a good integrated GPU then AMD would be your best bet. For example, the GPU in the A10-5800k has about 25% more performance than the one in the new i7-4770k.

9. Ched

Nope, I am more concerned with the CPU than the GPU (and Intel does excel in that department). But I don't see why not to get Haswell over Ivy when the ones I've seen are comparable in cost.

10. Darth

Darth Third Year

Two months later... What did you get?

On the odd chance you didn't get anything, I built a gaming PC with the Silverstone SG05(450W PSU) that has a 4670K and GTX 770. So.. yeah that nice small case is good.